Release Not Tetris

Actually my 1GHz unit (at 1.1GHz) is noticably faster than my Rebirth unit (at 800MHz) for this game. There is no difference in the beginning, but if the map is filled with a lot of debris (lots of small fragments of blocks), the game slows down. The slowdown is more noticeable on the slower unit.
Oh, I hadn't noticed that. I haven't played enough on the CC.

It will be difficult to optimise :( ...

It's not obvious though whether the slowdown is an advantage or a disadvantage (if anyone is concerned about C4A fairness). It's an advantage because if things are slower, you have more time to think (duh). It's a disadvantage because once you make some lines and clear some debris, things go back to normal speed and this can "surprise" you and make you do stupid stuff. In my opinion the advantage and the disadvantage cancel more or less out - as is shown by similar high scores on both of my Pandoras, and they have been used for playing Not Tetris by 4 different people quite intensively.

Is there a plan for analog controls ? Like left nub for movement and right one for rotation.

Sounds like that would make the game even harder. I like the controls as they are it kind of gives a "gameboy" feel to the action which would be lost with dual stick controls.

I hadn't any other plan on this one.

Dual nub hu? I can try, I guess if configure nubs as joystick they will be exposed in the löve engine et can be usable. More lua work (I'm slow in lua as I just discovered that laguage lately)... In time I may add that (but I'll keep the "gameboy" control also).

I finaly added Dual Nub support. Both Nub & Buttons are active, so you can play the way you like (like DPad for movement and Right nub for rotation).

I also recompile love (maybe it's faster), put latest glshil inside, and added tear free SwapBuffer (doesn't change much here, no scrolling)

Build 03

----------

• Added dual Nub support (both Nubs and DPad/Buttons are active at the same time)
  • Fresh compile (faster?).
Time to do some C4A fighting again ;)

Nice.

Little hint for your exhibitions: Show this game.

We had it running in Leipzig and it did attract a lot of people :) .

Especially on a TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice.

Little hint for your exhibitions: Show this game.

We had it running in Leipzig and it did attract a lot of people :) .

Especially on a TV.
We had show it a bit (always nice to see the surprise effect) but not on TV.

I agree it can have some attraction power (depending on who plays).

I have to test the speed when I have some free time (maybe in the bus instead of Monster hunters 3 Umtilamte).

the slowdown with a lot of parts on screen was really useful in the higher levels ;) .

Time to do some C4A fighting again ;)
My first shot doesn't seem to have posted.  Also noticed that you don't seem to participate in this fight much.

Thanks for the update.  Will mess with nubs more later.

Tried with Nubs.

It's horrible.

Back to buttons and D-Pad.

For me it gives a lot better control :) .

But playing with Nubs is a really different experience and I will try again.

Tried with Nubs.

It's horrible.

Back to buttons and D-Pad.

For me it gives a lot better control :) .

But playing with Nubs is a really different experience and I will try again.
It needs some training and change. I think mixing DPad + Right Nub can be my best way.

I am inconsistent regardless of which way I control it.  Sometimes I easily get the pieces to stop rotating, other times I screw up and they just go crazy, and by the time I slow them I can't get them in place.  As a last resort I try to use the wall.  Maybe I just suck worse than I want to admit.

Still prefer the D-Pad and buttons :) .

Maybe it#s faster but with a lot of parts on screen there is still some slowdown.

Yes, it can get very slow onto the Pandora, especialy onto the CC Pandora. I guess it has no HW acceleration for the physics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it can get very slow ontothe Pandora, especialy ontothe CC Pandora. I guess it has no HW acceleration for the physics?
Yep, no HW acceleration there, and no NEON (asside what the compiler can put). I'll have to do some profiling while playing... The Box2D physics seems heavy when a lot of things are on the screen.

Do you know what version you use?

On the Official Page they call it "Not Tetris 2"

Could you check if the sources are more recent there?

At least they talk about different colored bricks.

Also one picture doesn't look familiar to me.

Yes, it can get very slow ontothe Pandora, especialy ontothe CC Pandora. I guess it has no HW acceleration for the physics?
Yep, no HW acceleration there, and no NEON (asside what the compiler can put). I'll have to do some profiling while playing... The Box2D physics seems heavy when a lot of things are on the screen.
Any chance to squeeze out some more performance? At least onto an CC Pandora is't not really playable if half the screen is full of elements and start moving, even when I OC my Pandora.  :( The game itself would be actualy great to play onto the Handheld.

Back