Nintendo 64 Emulator?

It isn't likely that it can handle it at full speed. It's even less likely that anyone would succeed in writing such a thing.

Exophase said:
It isn't likely that it can handle it at full speed. It's even less likely that anyone would succeed in writing such a thing.

T-T Can someone please sticky that N64, dreamcast, PS2, XBOX360 and gamesphere can't be emulated on a tiny handheld device like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure N64 and perhaps Dreamcast could be emulated on a handheld as tiny using technology today. Just not on a Wiz.

if you want a portable n64 just get a ds
mario 64
mario cart
Diddy Kong Racing

johnboyjr said:
if you want a portable n64 just get a ds
mario 64
mario cart
Diddy Kong Racing

Comments like this on this forum has to stop.

dogeymon said:
Sorry, I'm new around here. Give me some slack. You can go ahead and delete my topic.

I would if I knew how. I'm trying to figure it out.

It's not you, it's just that everyone comes on the board asking about PS1/N64/Whatever, and it gets a little.... eh. xD

It's the WIZ, not the WIZARD! It can only do half of what a wizard can do. =x

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
It's not you, it's just that everyone comes on the board asking about PS1/N64/Whatever, and it gets a little.... eh. xD

It's the WIZ, not the WIZARD! It can only do half of what a wizard can do. =x
Where can I buy WIZARD? :blink:

;)

I think we just have to wait one more generation of gp2x and N64 emulation will be possible.
At least by streaming it from a faster computer.

GP2X >="F400" + Onlive would be interesting.

Just to raise a stink, i'd like to make a few points.

When do you need all the N64 buttons to play a game? Look at games like GoldenEye, on the Wiz, you could have left bumpper to aim, right bumpper to shoot, d-pad to move, the buttons to switch wepons. There's TONS of other games in which you could configure the buttons differently.

Now i really am a noob, both on here and when it comes to FPS and overclocking and all these things. But if the PSX emu is in the works and not working full speed, couldnt the same be donr for the N64? The PSX and the N64 ( to my knowledge) run about the same specs, which i will look into. So why do people think that the PSX will be able to get up to fullspeed and not the N64. Let's face it, we have some brillien people on this site (not me!) like zodTTD. I think that this really could happen, but its going to take a while. And c'mon, you cant tell me you dont want to play SSB on the go!

Best Regards,
Ethan (Beavith)

beavith said:
But if the PSX emu is in the works and not working full speed, couldnt the same be donr for the N64? The PSX and the N64 ( to my knowledge) run about the same specs, which i will look into. So why do people think that the PSX will be able to get up to fullspeed and not the N64.

PS1 and N64 are very different platforms, and generally speaking N64 is much more powerful than PS1 and it takes more to emulate it well (even using HLE). A "proper" emulation of N64 would be even worse.

Exophase said:
beavith said:
But if the PSX emu is in the works and not working full speed, couldnt the same be donr for the N64? The PSX and the N64 ( to my knowledge) run about the same specs, which i will look into. So why do people think that the PSX will be able to get up to fullspeed and not the N64.

PS1 and N64 are very different platforms, and generally speaking N64 is much more powerful than PS1 and it takes more to emulate it well (even using HLE). A "proper" emulation of N64 would be even worse.

Could it be tweaked? I really am sort of "out of my element" here. Im just thinking that if the Wiz is playing quake, why not slower paced games like goldeneye?

You're confusing native and emulated games. Emulation means handling all of the physical bits and bobs via software, mostly on the cpu.

Quake however is a port, meaning it has been compiled to use the hardware directly (ok, there are layers in this as well), instead of having to pretend to be an entirely different machine.

Alright, i understand a bit better now. I still think we should keep this in mind though. Who knows what the future for the wiz holds. Lets put it on the back burner while the PSX gets cleaned up.

dogeymon said:
Sorry, I'm new around here. Give me some slack. You can go ahead and delete my topic.

I would if I knew how. I'm trying to figure it out.
Only mods can delete topics.

As far as N64, being new doesn't really matter. You just have to have a little knowledge of how an emulator works and how much CPU power it takes.

beavith said:
Just to raise a stink, i'd like to make a few points.

When do you need all the N64 buttons to play a game? Look at games like GoldenEye, on the Wiz, you could have left bumpper to aim, right bumpper to shoot, d-pad to move, the buttons to switch wepons. There's TONS of other games in which you could configure the buttons differently.

Now i really am a noob, both on here and when it comes to FPS and overclocking and all these things. But if the PSX emu is in the works and not working full speed, couldnt the same be donr for the N64? The PSX and the N64 ( to my knowledge) run about the same specs, which i will look into. So why do people think that the PSX will be able to get up to fullspeed and not the N64. Let's face it, we have some brillien people on this site (not me!) like zodTTD. I think that this really could happen, but its going to take a while. And c'mon, you cant tell me you dont want to play SSB on the go!

Best Regards,
Ethan (Beavith)

Actually the N64 blew the PSX out of the water as far as hardware goes (it was limited by the use of cartridges for storage) and up and till recently (around the advent of dual core) emulation of it on pc was slow and painful. I tried running a 64 emu on my first rig back in 2002-2003 (2.7Ghz AMD with 3g of ram) and it was awful, most games ran at about 15 to maybe 20 fps, so if a 2.7Ghz pc had trouble than I think a 800mhz (at max) hand held doesn't have much of a chance. Now as far as buttons go you don't really need all of them like the L bumper or the D-pad but for games like goldeneye you would really need the analog stick (no matter how shitty the 64's was). Have you ever tried to play an FPS with a dpad it's torture, you really need the added sensitivity of an analog stick and then you have those games that got carried away with the c-buttons.

Console_Master said:
I tried running a 64 emu on my first rig back in 2002-2003 (2.7Ghz AMD with 3g of ram) and it was awful, most games ran at about 15 to maybe 20 fps

There's no way. I've run plenty of N64 games on an 800Mghz P3, 512MB ram, blah blah blah. It must have been your emulator/settings causing that. On a 2.7Ghz AMD ANYTHING, the emulator should be running TOO fast, even for something as complex as perfect dark. I have a 2.2Ghz AMD athlon 64 3500+ and I can run DREAMCAST perfectly fine on this thing, so you must have been using terrible settings, or a bad emulator.

Or something less powerful than a Geforce 3

or you were running the emulator in interpreter mode, instead of dynarec.

Back