Kickstarter Mupen64plus -> OUYA

Haha, I don't do Minecraft sound mods. I wrote the open source Java 3D Sound System library that the developers of Minecraft used in the game. I've never actually even played the game yet (no free time for video games!)

I wouldn't make it 'exclusive' to KS folks .. why not publish it online? ie: if its a useful resource, it'd be a shame to limit it to a few hundred/thousand people :)/>
Well, I originally figured it would be a much more popular reward than it turned out, and a way to bring in new backers. The idea kind of flopped, so I'll have to consider how to handle the exclusiveness factor without shafting the folks who increased their pledges in order to receive an exclusive reward. The book will really be a collection of notes and schematics on N64 hacking projects most of which have been done a thousand times already, and nothing that couldn't be found with Google anyway, so making it public to everyone is probably not necessary, considering.

The issue was that the original Glide Napalm plugin was 32bit only due to x86 assembly. Converting the assembly to C would make the project portable. This is currently in progress. When all of this is finished the wrapper needs to be ported to OpenGL ES.
If I had a phone with an x86 processor, like the Razr i, it would be easier for me to start the GLES2 parts now. With only ARM devices, it is difficult to do a whole lot until the assembly to C conversion is complete. There are many other things to work on, so I am definitely not trying to rush anyone. When it's ready, I'll start looking into porting it to GLES2. What I'm hoping to do is complete an initial port myself, and use that to get another dev (maybe Kris/ Metracity) excited about it to take it on as their own project and improve functionality over time.

Hi,

I just wanted to ask how's the state of the Pandora release.

I've checked your Forum and suport the suggestion of Notaz's frontend. It's easy to use and has everything you need.

It's not that easy to integrate it though.. I could take a stab at it myself maybe, but I have enough hobby work for many months now..

@ Pickle:

I know your launcher is included in Mupen.

I'd like to have some menu as it is in PCSX which can be used during gameplay.

Your frontend is really nice to use but it's not enough I think.

If it gets combined with some other in game menu it'd also be a good solution.

@ Notaz:

Hopefully your hobby work is for Pandora :D  .

If you find some time give it a try. If not be happy with your work.

I'm also happy with a nice pickle launcher and some ingame menu.

(And better N64 emulation. That's the main issue.)

Theres also the frontend I wrote which has already been included with the pandora mupen, its also open sourced.
Which reminds me - is there a compiled binary of the latest version available somewhere?

I wanted to update the SNES launcher with smaller fonts and preview pics :)

Xperia64 mentioned he would help with getting a front-end hooked up, but I'm mainly going to focus on getting the new updated core and plug-ins to compile and run on the pandora with whatever basic front-end, then plug it into the repository and try and recruit another dev or two to take on the Open Pandora front-end.  If not, I'll eventually get to working on the front-end myself (probably not until after OUYA launches in April, though).

Last edited by a moderator:
When you've updated the repo there will be more interested people.

(I hope)

I just wanted to let everyone know I haven't abandoned the Open Pandora port.  I had expected to have the basic project set up by now, but I'm realizing there are a lot of layers I added to the "onion" that is the Android port, and it is taking significant effort to peel them away in such a manner that facilitates a common Android/ Open Pandora code base.  The most work is with hooking up some of the SDL components for the video plug-ins.  Currently, the emulator just sounds cool, haha!

The family and I will be busy moving next week, so if I don't get it finished this weekend, it will probably be a couple more weeks.  Sorry for the delay!

I'll be putting this initially into its own repository on github, and then working the Android pieces back in.  This will be used to restructure my current repository for the project to make it match Richards project more closely, which will better facilitate synchronization with upstream, moving forward.  The goal here is that updates to the core will no longer take months or years to find their way back to the Open Pandora.

Nice to hear you're not lost in the nowhere.

I'm verry busy with universsity stuff and can't check your website for updates, so allow me some questions:

1: Is multiplayer with an external joypad possible (ICP for example).

2: Can I use the "0" on my Pandora as "C-Up" on the N64? Couldn't do this on the current version. "9" and "Backspace" are usable.

3: Do you already know which frontend you use for Pandora?

I'm currently trying to track down a problem with the SDL video piece (screen is black, but otherwise the emulator is running), so I haven't looked at those specific questions very closely yet, but I'll answer them as best I can.

1) Multiplayer will be done by setting the proper values in Mupen64Plus.cfg, as is done on the PC version of Mupen64Plus 1.9.x (i.e. until there is a front-end to configure things like input)

2) If you know the SDL keycode for "0", then it will be mappable by putting that value into either InputAutoCfg.ini (quick and dirty, 1-player only) or setting up the proper sections in Mupen64Plus.cfg (for multi-player).  I may have to write a tool for determining SDL keycodes, since I imagine most folks don't have them memorized ;P  It will only be a hassle until a front-end is in place to simplify key-mapping.

3) No, I do not know what the front-end will be yet.  Currently it is a command-line application (like the PC version), and I'll probably initially use Pickle launcher as has been suggested or otherwise get it into a pnd.  Eventually I or another dev will tackle a nice front-end.  If I do it, I'll likely model it close to Android front-end we did (so I can share most of the resource strings and support multiple languages).  If another dev decides to pick up the front-end project instead, I'll give them free reign to be as creative as they like (I've never been one to try and micro-manage the project, as the other devs on the team can attest to)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I've structured the project so that both the Android and Open Pandora are built from a single tree.  Next on my agenda is getting that tree to closely mirror Richard's repository in structure.  Currently, Sven (ecsv) is doing a great job keeping the two repositories in sync, but with my limited git/ mercurial knowledge I would have trouble maintaining it if he were to leave.

My ultimate goal is that the "AE" project will be only a front-end project (for Android, Open Pandora, OUYA, GameStick, etc), with a thin JNI interface for the Android versions.  Through a series of pull requests, build-flag activated pipelines should be built into the upstream repositories for ARM, GLES2, and Android/ Pandora-specific things (like the way it is done for Windows, Linux, MacOS).  It will take some effort to get to that point, though.  In the mean time, Open Pandora will still be much more "in the loop" than it has been.

Also, forgot to mention for anyone who hasn't been by my forum, work is going into porting glide64mk2 to GLES2, so the Open Pandora will hopefully benefit from a new video plugin in the near future (besides the existing gles2n64 and gles2rice plugins).  Always nice to have options, when it comes to game compatibility.

Back