Hype, Maybe Fake.

CrazyRetro said:
important is the "how to do" and "how to get it run best as possible", not the Question is fake or not fake.
so what you are telling is that Devil64 is not using HLE, even for RSP? Using interpreter for main CPU? And some mystical ATI graphics plugin (that runs on Wiz)? And it runs so fast on Wiz? Wow!

Since you say it's important, tell us how can it run so fast. Maybe it's using some yet-to-be-found laws of quantum physics to convert Wiz's CPU to R4300 and it's 3d chip to RCP while your emu is running? Or maybe it's transmutation or paranormal activity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Neko said:
Exophase said:
He took the video down now
http://tinyogg.com/watch/loAuP/

Thanks. While originally watching it I probably went "pfft" during the title and closed it.

The text does appear to not be there, but I think this could be due to some weird blur/contrast issue from the camera, where the black is swallowing it. You can very faintly see text splotches during the next scenes. Anyway, if anything could be doctored the text over pure black would by far be the easiest.

I ran the opening side by side with a reference video, from where Link enters the screen from the right with the title insignia up (the video doesn't start from the very beginning of the title). The speed, ie overall rate at which events happen is identical. CrazyRetro's video is choppier, but that can easily be attributed to the awful, awful camera used.

CR told me in a PM that he didn't write most of the emulator, and he's looking for my help on it. It could be that someone's pulling the wool over his eyes as well.

I find it baffling he isn't saying it's real or not. He's just saying "fake or not fake is not the question". Every faker I've seen fiercely defends whatever he's trying to fake (when he is defending it).

The way he speaks just confuses the crap out of me. I know it's bad english, but what he is saying just makes him sound like he has no clue what he's doing, and just making it up, or something. I really just don't know. I want to jump to a conclusion, but the way he's speaking just won't let me. It's like he's lying and not lying at the same time. Not even some parts truth and others lie, it's like both at the same time.

Somebody help me make sense out of this.

Exophase said:
I ran the opening side by side with a reference video, from where Link enters the screen from the right with the title insignia up (the video doesn't start from the very beginning of the title). The speed, ie overall rate at which events happen is identical. CrazyRetro's video is choppier, but that can easily be attributed to the awful, awful camera used.
At first I thought it looked a little slow, but I was comparing the NTSC version. The speed does match the PAL version.

Exophase said:
CR told me in a PM that he didn't write most of the emulator, and he's looking for my help on it. It could be that someone's pulling the wool over his eyes as well.
Yeah, he also sent me a PM asking about porting mupen64plus to the Wiz. It's becoming increasingly apparent that he wants someone to make a N64 emulator for the Wiz, and he thinks this publicity campaign will help his cause. He doesn't seem to understand the technical limitations of the platform, but tries to justify his enthusiasm by arguing that it was possible to emulate N64 on desktop computers in 1999. I don't think the comparison is accurate, but it does give me some idea of what might be shown in the video.

MDave said:
I can't seem to watch the video, but I wonder if the text rendering problem is the same as Daedalus on the PSP. Although that can be fixed by increasing texture updates at the cost of some fps.
http://hotfile.com/dl/44218903/c4aa91e/loAuP.ogv.html

What does the text rendering problem in Daedalus look like?

CR, could you maybe upload the old PC version of Devil64 somewhere, for us to see what you actually are porting?

Neko said:
MDave said:
I can't seem to watch the video, but I wonder if the text rendering problem is the same as Daedalus on the PSP. Although that can be fixed by increasing texture updates at the cost of some fps.
http://hotfile.com/dl/44218903/c4aa91e/loAuP.ogv.html

What does the text rendering problem in Daedalus look like?

Thanks.

Looks to me like it doesn't render any text at all when it plays the scene where Link is having a nightmare. But then again, with that part of the video being so dark and blurry, its hard to tell. I don't think there is any text though. The PSP text problems are random characters left over from previous text messages.

In the opening scene with the horse, I also see the grass is rendered correctly, the PSP one doesn't.

That rules that out!

It looks full speed with no frameskip in this video, which shouldn't be possible considering the the hardware! :p I guess we could easily chalk it up to him having recored a video of an old PC N64 emulator that has some graphical glitches, and played it back on the Wiz. Then took a phone camera video of it in the dark so we can't see his hands on the Wiz controlling the game.

But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, because its fun :p

Exophase said:
CR told me in a PM that he didn't write most of the emulator, and he's looking for my help on it.
If he ported a PC emulator to Wiz and he needs help, I think he should release the source code to permit other people (knowing opengl or wiz internals) to advance with this. And if he want to eliminate the fake comments he only must to release a binary. Is very easy. He must to know that this is the expected reaction with this emulator.

Ari64 said:
Yeah, he also sent me a PM asking about porting mupen64plus to the Wiz.
¿Why he wants to see Muphen on Wiz, if his emulator works better? ;)
Moreover, he can port it easily, because is expert in emulators.

Exophase said:
Yes, CrazyRetro claims it's a person called Rolf who is a "computer expert, hermit, and real society hater". He is the one who allegedly demanded the emulator be only released to the German community (after a "personal registration" with CrazyRetro).

Ghanji said:
Exophase said:
There's no way a port of any N64 emulator would run this well. [...]
I've never actually heard of Devil64 - google reveals nothing but this thread.
Just because you haven´t heard about it doesn´t mean anything... obviously...
Maybe there has been some work beyond your horizon...?
I just don´t get why you are so offending...
Do you think you can win a F1 race with a beetle car ?

hlide said:
Ghanji said:
Exophase said:

If devil64 gets decent speeds (or even exists), you can win a F1 race by foot

IsSuE said:
hlide said:
Ghanji said:
Exophase said:

If devil64 gets decent speeds (or even exists), you can win a F1 race by foot
"the one-eyed are kings". There were a similar case in PSP scene with PSXP (ot whatever its name). Exophase does know what I mean.

EDIT: ok, the other thread makes things quite clear : this guy (CR) is totally dumb and Devil64 a fake. Sorry to "up" this topic.

hlide said:
Ghanji said:
Exophase said:
All I was saying is:
just cause you haven´t heard of something doesn´t necessarily mean it doesn´t exist. Could probably give you a zillion real life examples. This was at the context that CR stated this emulator was programmed für PCs back in 2000 or smthing. Well that´s 10 Years ago, so why not consider it to be true at least at that point. He just got benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Clear explanations of why it would be highly unlikely came up later on, so I hope you had some fun quoting me out of context.
Have a nice day.

Ghanji said:
hlide said:
All I was saying is:
just cause you haven´t heard of something doesn´t necessarily mean it doesn´t exist. Could probably give you a zillion real life examples. This was at the context that CR stated this emulator was programmed für PCs back in 2000 or smthing. Well that´s 10 Years ago, so why not consider it to be true at least at that point. He just got benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Clear explanations of why it would be highly unlikely came up later on, so I hope you had some fun quoting me out of context.
Have a nice day.
Sure but :
All I was saying is :
such a possibility to have such a N64 emulator on Wiz running decently is like dreaming of a beetle car trying to compete with F1 cars in a race.

Ghanji said:
All I was saying is:
Have a nice day.

I don't know why you were giving me a hard time over it though. Just because I said I never heard of it and Googling it revealed nothing doesn't mean I was saying it definitively never existed, just that I went looking for more information on it and didn't find anything and therefore couldn't use the preexistence of this emulator to corroborate Crazy Retro's claims.

I wasn't saying I knew of every emulator released, although I probably did track every N64 released in 1999-2001. The more important part was that googling it revealed nothing, meaning that it was unlikely it was ever even mentioned anywhere, much less released in any form. That didn't mean it wasn't made, but creating an emulator back then that was good enough to run Zelda and had a solid enough performance base to port to Wiz, then not releasing it or mentioning it, only to end up doing so years later on another platform, is really unusual behavior.

Back