News from the meeting at GC

It is absolutely incredible what is being done on such a tiny budget.

[edit] i mean it's like woz and jobs in 1977

I think this needs to be said more often. People grossly underestimate the creation of hardware. My company creates very tiny hardware and every time you think everything is working well, problems turn up which you could not have foreseen. This seems strange for software people as 'it has been done so many times' but software is not very different; it is just faster to supply fixes. Sometimes we have to redo a PCB after the prototype works fine but on the assembly line it turns out if does not quite work. That takes time, effort and money; it is impressive when anyone can work with constrained budgets and actually get a hardware project done. Which is why I pre ordered and which is why I will buy multiple machines; I not only want to support the effort; I *want* this product.

Let's focus on the good and the geeky here instead of shouting matches :)

My company creates very tiny hardware and every time you think everything is working well, problems turn up which you could not have foreseen.
Quantum effects? ;)

This seems strange for software people as 'it has been done so many times' but software is not very different; it is just faster to supply fixes.
Maybe software people have just forgotten (or are too young to know) how software development worked back in the days of punch cards.
I'm too young myself, but I always enjoyed the stories of older coworkers about driving boxes of punch cards to the compute center only to find out the next day, that one or two punches were in the wrong place or that someone dropped the box, and got all the cards mixed up.

Now, I am scared ...
Well, anything can go wrong. Theoretically, there could be a catastrophic volcanic eruption, the sky would turn dark, and Pyra mass production would be doomed. Though, to be honest, as long as Ed doesn't prophesy doom and destruction in a spontaneous intuition again, we should be rather safe.

Well, anything can go wrong. Theoretically, there could be a catastrophic volcanic eruption, the sky would turn dark, and Pyra mass production would be doomed.
You don't even have to make up a doomsday scenario that causes the world to stop spinning. ED could just have a bad accident.
In my company we are encouraged to assume that anyone of us could be run over by a bus this evening. So we constantly have the question in mind, whether someone else can take over the work of that unlucky person, at least until a replacement is trained.

You don't even have to make up a doomsday scenario that causes the world to stop spinning. ED could just have a bad accident.
In my company we are encouraged to assume that anyone of us could be run over by a bus this evening. So we constantly have the question in mind, whether someone else can take over the work of that unlucky person, at least until a replacement is trained.

Funny how you start with you don't have to make up a doomsday scenario and then you make one up yourself :D

Quantum effects? ;)

Maybe software people have just forgotten (or are too young to know) how software development worked back in the days of punch cards.
I'm too young myself, but I always enjoyed the stories of older coworkers about driving boxes of punch cards to the compute center only to find out the next day, that one or two punches were in the wrong place or that someone dropped the box, and got all the cards mixed up.

Yes, punch cards definitely or at times when you had to program through rewiring (I have a computer from 1962 in my office which you program by rewiring; still works fine) but modern programming, while more efficient, has the same kind issues, but less disastrous (often anyway). People do have that same thought; you did this 'same thing' (that's where the rub is) many times before, how can it have bugs? And then you fix the bugs, rinse-repeat until people are happy / less (noticeable) bugs. With hardware, and with a lot of firmware, like the hardware/firmware for the products I make for a living, you cannot update in the field. The product shipped and that's it. Every bug or issue has to be tested and fixed before it leaves the factory. Not many years ago this was the same for game consoles, but now that's fixed, that's why you are downloading a giga or so everything you start a game on a ps4/xbox; 'a few bug fixes and some improvements' (we didn't get too efficient in software delivery either 'because internet speed is infinite anyway').

This computer; https://museum.syssrc.com/media/cache/0e/70/0e70cd87ae845e2fcfcd452db7356320.jpg

Unless that one person happens to be the one whose dream we are all a part of :p
That still isn't the end of the world, it just makes us unhappy. Actually, even the destruction of our planet is rather insignificant, it just seems like a big deal to those of us that live here.

Maybe ED should have someone ready to take over in case he gets hospitalized for exhaustion or if something else happens.

This thread started by everyone telling ED not to kill himself, now we're imagining it!?
Shit happens.

I wonder if some VC company could fund ED or some other startup that could market and mass-produce the Pyra. I suspect a number of IT professionals might appreciate one. Maybe some market research could be done - phone questionnaire to 1000 IT workers, describing the unit and and asking about their interest level?

Of course they can. But they'd only do it in exchange for part of ED's company. And they'd insist on changes to the design, so we'd lose at least one SD port, probably the cellular variants, maybe the nubs and d-pad. There's a reason ED does it this way.

You haven't completed Link's Awakening?

Sorry for spoiling the sad moment if you haven't...
Ah, I think I misread the other post the first time. :D

Yeah, I finished it a few times. We have special tags for spoilers, ya know. ;)

Back