News from the meeting at GC

How is it able to pump enough blood for an adult to survive?
I figured others had them as a part of their collection, like me, not inside their bodies. What freak would would replace a perfectly functional heart with a tiny one? (It is understandable for those that needed a new ticker.)

So then the system's cpu will have a max clock of 1.5Ghz? There's zero chance of it going to the 1.7Ghz that the soc is capable of?

Not necessarily, though how fast it will go tends to depend on what you're doing with it IMO. My Pandora will stably clock at 1.2GHz, but will give me graphical glitches in DraStic unless I clock to about 1.1GHz - I assume it's NEON glitches at 1.2GHz.

I suspect the Pyra will behave simililarly - it'll definitely clock higher than 1500MHz, because ED/hns/TI can't make parts that will work reliably at that speed and no faster. But how fast these initial builds will go at different tasks remains to be found. And it may be for certain things you do need to downclock for it to work well, perhaps. We'll have to see.

z.jpg

The 1.7 number comes from around 2014 when TI was still hopeful about the OMAP line. They were going to sell a normal 1.5Ghz SKU and a 1.7Ghz "speedbin" one. Of course, OMAP5432 was promoted as "up to 1.7Ghz". This is similar to how the OMAP3 was marketed as 720Mhz, but the 720Mhz version was expensive and the normal OMAP3 was only rated for 600Mhz.

Then, as customers didn't show up, the OMAP5430 was canned and with it any hope of having enough volume to do binning (my conjecture). So the OMAP5432 speedbin SKU was never released and the product pages got quietly changed to 1.5Ghz.

But these go up to 11.

Don't get hung up on the processor frequency. It is arguably less relevant than the rest of the components.

What is that and we're did you get it
this is my zaurus
i hope to retire it when i receive the pyra
it is a good example of how cpu clock speed is not entirely important
400mhz and snes9x at almost full speed, negligibly less
indeed i got through zelda3 and chrono trigger iirc
f-zero is totally playable [and the music sounds killer]
[doublepost=1486287986,1486287673][/doublepost]
But these go up to 11.

Don't get hung up on the processor frequency. It is arguably less relevant than the rest of the components.

agree.
also, what i try to do
is use my various devices for what they are good for
desktop pc for almost everything
no laptop because there's too much overlap with desktop, but crappy keyboard = frustration
phone for phoning
pyra for scripty things, not c++ or hadoop

Last edited:
Back