Release New Video: Complete, Working, Portable Pandora

From experience, I tend to expect the worst and hope for the best. If tweaks need to be made to the case, wouldn't it be prudent to make another CNC or at the least an FDM to observe the tweak in a physical form?

Another couple of reasons is CE/FCC testing will need the last prototype to test against, if OP is making tweaks to the case, surely these associations would wish to wait for what the mold will be made from?

Secondly, if these tweaks are made and no further CNC/FDM is made and something turns out wrong with the Injection Molded case, what does OP do then?

Too many factors say that OP needs to ensure this case is as perfect as it can be before the molds can be made. This isn't a bad thing, because its apart of the QA process.

This will however add at least another month to wait for a new CNC build. That's being optimistic, we don't have Chinese New Year this time around, but the shipping from China to Fatih to Mweston takes awhile. But at the very least it is realistic.

I don't think I am reading too far into "Still some things to tweak up which we are not happy with" and "just some final tweaks to the case" because it is plain and concise.

The case is undergoing a small redesign. Which will need to be physically tested.

It sucks that it will be a delay but, its very necessary that it's done so that we can all be assured that what WE will receive is a durable, functioning device. In the END, it will be for the best.

Kudos to OpenPandora for how much they've done so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
'Phawx' said:
The case is undergoing a small redesign. Which will need to be physically tested.
You are probably right. I wouldn't be surprised if we will see the first Pandora's shipped in late July or August

edit: And yes, all the respect to the team behind Pandora! Amazing work so far

'Phawx' said:
This will however add at least another month to wait for a new CNC build. That's being optimistic, we don't have Chinese New Year this time around, but the shipping from China to Fatih to Mweston takes awhile. But at the very least it is realistic.
That is a pretty big assumption. It is also incorrect.

The changes we'd like to test will only require one piece to be re-made, not the entire case. This won't cause any delay at all, as the changes are very minor and none of the other steps (aside from final case production) need to wait for the new piece. The Pandora is being sent out for CE / FCC testing as-is.

While I am elated (!!!) from the good news, I thought CE/FCC wouldn't take incomplete or out-of-date builds?

Or does the CE/FCC only care about the parts that could explode/radio interference/burns/etc type of thing?

Also, the molds won't be made until that new piece is verified to fix the problem, yea? So that is a delay of *some amount* of days, because OP has to wait for a small part to arrive and test before the molds can start to be manufactured.

I'm glad I was wrong about a month of a delay. But, clearly it's more than "won't cause any delay at all". I'm just glad we are still looking at a May shipment to some people.

EDIT: Also just to be clear, I tried asking OP to be more verbose but, all I got was was seven words. I certainly wasn't going to ask again, so I took it literally. A tweak *to* the case, not *of a small part of the* would have changed my assumption. However, regarding delays. It is the only thing I believe OP needs to be transparent about. Trying to be vague or sugar coating will not go very well.

The engadget article and comments were nice.......but the gizmodo article, per usual, had tons of hate that the comments reflected.

Actually, for the most part the Gizmodo comments aren't unnecessarily negative. There are reasonable and ignorant complaints, but only one "ZOMG that SUxxorZ!!!1!" comment with no thought behind it. Unless there's been a lot of comments removed, but I didn't think they did that.

'Phawx' said:
While I am elated (!!!) from the good news, I thought CE/FCC wouldn't take incomplete or out-of-date builds?

Or does the CE/FCC only care about the parts that could explode/radio interference/burns/etc type of thing?

Also, the molds won't be made until that new piece is verified to fix the problem, yea? So that is a delay of *some amount* of days, because OP has to wait for a small part to arrive and test before the molds can start to be manufactured.

I'm glad I was wrong about a month of a delay. But, clearly it's more than "won't cause any delay at all". I'm just glad we are still looking at a May shipment to some people.
No idea why they keep their plans secret, but it mustn't be a problem. Actually, CE testing isn't really needed. You can give that sign for your unit without any testing but only filling out lots of paperwork. CE testing is only for insuring yourself that your assumptions are correct. Don't know about FCC-testing, but I guess it is very much similar. Say they only change the outer shape of the shoulder buttons, for example, that wouldn't affect CE nor FCC-testing in any way.
The time needed for shipping the completed pandora from MWeston to ED, making a HD-video and then finally running the tests can be used to produce the replacement-parts, there mustn't be a delay at all. They won't start with production of the mold before the unit is tested and I really hope they already have booked some time in the factory for CNCing and Mold-production.

'Vorporeal' said:
Some clarifications for people who have been skimming too much:

THERE ARE NO CASE _PROBLEMS_.
From this thread,

'craigix' said:
Just some final tweaks to the case.
They may indeed be minor, but it doesn't seem quite fair to say there are no case problems, IMHO?

'Monk' said:
'Vorporeal' said:
Some clarifications for people who have been skimming too much:

THERE ARE NO CASE _PROBLEMS_.
From this thread,

'craigix' said:
Just some final tweaks to the case.
They may indeed be minor, but it doesn't seem quite fair to say there are no case problems, IMHO?

Why?

Tweaks to the case is more likely to mean things like making the lid a little thinner, putting some grooves in the battery cover for easier grip, or (as already been mentioned) rounding off the shoulder buttons.

'Phawx' said:

It's just some very minor fit and finish stuff. Nothing that affects the dimensions, functionality, or operation of the device. It's a non-issue as far as certification testing goes.

Just read the Gizmodo article regarding the latest video:

From Gizmodo - "The really hard part for the project will be coaxing some games out of an as-of-yet nonexistent developer community. And for the record, TuxRacer doesn't count."

:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: I mean what the hell are they on?!?!?!?!

either they really don't do any research before writing anything, or they really do have some kind of issue with the pandora. . . or both :blink:

The "problems" I was referring to were the ones referenced in the "OMG WHY RNT TEH TOP ND BOTOM PARTS LINING UP CRRECTLY?!!!?!?!?11/!?" type posts. There were no issues with the case parts not fitting together. The case fit the way they wanted, but there were some slight changes they want to make. The statement "small tweaks to the case" is much different than "we need to fix the case so it closes correctly".

'GoblinKing' said:
either they really don't do any research before writing anything, or they really do have some kind of issue with the pandora. . . or both
I suspect that they don't do much research before they post, but the most likely reason they hate the Pandora is that Engadget seems to like it. It is official Gizmodo policy to come down on any device Engadget supports. Some people are just sore losers.

Great video, thanks MWeston.

Small request for whomever makes the PR-friendly video, can we have demonstration of working WiFi and/or Bluetooth please? Seems to be the only major features that haven't had video time so far (unless I've missed a vid).

'Butterman' said:
Gizmodo really need to change their name. When I see it, all that goes into my brain is Gizmondo.
Thanks for opening my eyes. I've always read "Gizmondo"! :lol:
Anyway, the main reason people are skeptic is because of the communityfactor and the delays I think. I wonder what will happen when the Pandora finally gets shipped? Hallelujah-speeches or im-so-sad-i-didnt-order?

'GuSec' said:
'Butterman' said:
Gizmodo really need to change their name. When I see it, all that goes into my brain is Gizmondo.
Anyway, the main reason people are skeptic is because of the communityfactor and the delays I think. I wonder what will happen when the Pandora finally gets shipped? Hallelujah-speeches or im-so-sad-i-didnt-order?

That's simple, cries of. "Oh my god that *insert chosen name here* multiplayer FPS on the Pandora is so awesome! I've just got to buy one!"

:D

'Butterman' said:
'GuSec' said:
'Butterman' said:

That's simple, cries of. "Oh my god that *insert chosen name here* multiplayer FPS on the Pandora is so awesome! I've just got to buy one!"

:D

hopefully, they won't go "tHiS sUckS. gET pSp. cANNoT plAY hALo oR wINDoWS"

idvc5x.jpg

Hot damn.

CraigX, Chip, MWeston, EvilDragon, and all, thank you for the update. It's great to see the Pandora in its nearly finished state, up and working! I really look forward to it and all that it's going to be able to do. Keep up the good work!

One of the things I'd like to see - though it's maybe more ambitious than I have time for - is a game programming book or series of articles - ala Programming Linux Games by Loki...but with more focus, at least initially, on setting up the development environment. It would almost, by necessity, have to cover more than just the Pandora, but I could definitely see a section devoted to developing directly for or porting games to it. Would anybody here be interested in a series of articles like this?

edit - one too many apostrophes. Hrm, can't seem to get...d'oh, there's, argh...I'm done.

Back