New Firmware Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
JyuOH posted on Aug 7 2006 at 06:05 PM said:
Is there any info on what we can expect from the new firmware? I'd be happy with just that for now.

Yes ... read this thread. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I really freaking want mkv support, i just don't understand why I can't have it. Alot of my anime collection is in mkv format and I have no clue how to rip subs and add them back into an avi. The few times I tried to do it the subs looked jacked up on the gp2x with a bunch of symbols and what not. This really disappoint me and make me regret my purchase somewhat. =(

JyuOH posted on Aug 8 2006 at 12:35 PM said:
Man I really freaking want mkv support, i just don't understand why I can't have it. Alot of my anime collection is in mkv format and I have no clue how to rip subs and add them back into an avi. The few times I tried to do it the subs looked jacked up on the gp2x with a bunch of symbols and what not. This really disappoint me and make me regret my purchase somewhat. =(

Easy enough...

VirtualDub, Subtitle Workshop. First rips, the other converts subs.

I tried that, I ripped the subs fine though I was a little confused considering I ended up with 2 diff sub files, srt/ass. I then converted those subs to smi and at the start of every line while watching the video I see a whole bunch of stuff thats not suppose to be there. The subs also looked very very ugly and seemed glithy when I tried to watch them on my pc. Lines would flash on screen like two times then go off really fast or get skipped completly. I really don't understand what I did wrong, even then having to do this for every single file seems like a major pain in the ass. Since virtualdub only rip one file at a time. I'm willing to put up with the pain in the ass part if it would actually work correctly though

yea man that is beyond me. It a shame i have to go through all this just to watch a freaking mkv. I feel like throwing my gp2x out the window right now. -_-

Whats the possiblity of someone making a media player that can handle mkv? is it possible at all? what are the odds of someone porting mpc(media player classic)? I'm thinking since it hasn't been done yet that noone is going to do it or they can't do it =(

MKV is just a media container, exactly like OGG but with some additional features.

There's nothing 'magical' or special about MKV. It's all about being able to read the MKV streams as their separate audio and video streams, which are nothing more than standard MPEG4 and MP3 streams.

So, its august 8th, maybe not a date, but any word on the new firmware? Any inside sources that have access to the beta can leak anything? I dont think NDA's are involved here. Or i could be wrong.

Ranma13 posted on Aug 8 2006 at 03:33 PM said:
MKV is just a media container, exactly like OGG but with some additional features.

There's nothing 'magical' or special about MKV. It's all about being able to read the MKV streams as their separate audio and video streams, which are nothing more than standard MPEG4 and MP3 streams.

If thats the case then I wonder why noone has put a decent media player out for the gp2x then =(

not exactly an excuse. there are some amazing video players for 400MHz ARM PDAs, running wince or linux. the same should work on gp2x, albeit slower if on a single core.

Sparr posted on Aug 9 2006 at 09:00 PM said:
not exactly an excuse. there are some amazing video players for 400MHz ARM PDAs, running wince or linux. the same should work on gp2x, albeit slower if on a single core.
Get to it. I expect it completed in a week with support for every video format ever created.

Now, what's YOUR excuse?

lol i don't care who does it, i just want someone to do it so we all can enjoy a great machine to the fullest ^_^ I swear no mkv support is like my only problem with gp2x right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back