Firmware Question

zero2x

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hello everyone! It's taken me up until now to finally get my hands on my very own GP2X, and I'm having a great time with it. I got it new from Play-Asia.com, and having owned the GP32 before this, I feel almost right at home with it. I have one question though... On the file archive and on gp2x.com, I see all this talk about Firmware version 2.1.1, and even the GP2X User Guide in the file archive is for this version of the firmware, but when I boot my new GP2X, It says I'm running firmware 3.0.0, and has all different menus, not the yellow and white ones I see in all the screenshots. Does anyone have any info on firmware 3.0.0? Will I have any problems running certain software from the file archive on this version of the firmware? Any info you can share will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Zero

Firmware 3.0.0 is the latest firmware, but it was never released as an official upgrade. It boots a bit slower then 2.1.1 and it has some preinstalled stuff, like some games on the nand. All the software should be compatible as 3.0.0 is just some skin edits and some preinstalled stuff, no kernal changes that I am aware of.

That's excellent news. Yes, the "value pack" touts the 4 games and 1 demo built-in to the system memory. I haven't yet played them all. I'm most interested in getting my emulators all up and running and seeing how that goes first. In the process of doing it now. Thanks for the tip about the firmware. I'll assume then, that if I download and print out the 2.1.1 User Guide that I should be able to follow that with little trouble?

Its the same thing, so 99.9% of the guide will be the same, with the exception of the Credits settings that displays the skin's credits has been changed in 3.0.0 to a help section.

May I recommend you not use the GP2x interface and instead use Gmenu2x instead. IMO its a much better GUI.

I'll check it out. Would love to get all the recommendations from anyone and everyone about getting the most out of the 2X. That's why I joined the community right after I opened up the box! :)

zero posted on Feb 1 2007 at 04:24 PM said:
I'll check it out. Would love to get all the recommendations from anyone and everyone about getting the most out of the 2X. That's why I joined the community right after I opened up the box! :)

Here are two other excellent resources for the new GP2X user: wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Gamepark_Newbie and gpnewbie.com. Highly recommended, have a look!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not quite the same - the Utility menu isn't there any more, that's what's been replaced by the "Help" section, not the credits screen. I haven't checked this yet but I read somewhere that this means you need to rename any .gpu files to .gpe in order to be able to run them from the Game menu (if that's true it's bloody stupid, why not just make the Game menu recognise both filetypes?)

No, the Game menu on 3.0.0 recognizes both .gpu and .gpe extensions.

Mudi posted on Feb 2 2007 at 12:59 AM said:
No, the Game menu on 3.0.0 recognizes both .gpu and .gpe extensions.

Ah, good. It would have been a little bit daft otherwise! Think the menu needs a new name now though.
Something like "Program", "Run", or "EXECUTE" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back