New Firmware Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get all of this.

I love my GP2X, but it's subtle little problems are VERY annoying to me. My brother owns a PSP which I worked with emulators on. The snes and genesis both worked near perfectly (sometimes needed a lil framskip/fps/mhz change in config, but usually fine). After tasting the world of emulation, I wanted more, so I bought a system that was designed with emulation and open source developing in mind. When I unpacked my gp2x, I first was dissapointed in the video options; I read on the internet that it played all my mpegs and the such, but it turned out to be only divx avis. I thought "fine, I'll do some file conversions, and everything will be peachy". I was wrong... maybe it's my computer or maybe the converter, but no luck regardless. I was happy though with being able to play sonic briliantly, but the emulator seemed like a waste, as all I really play is sonic and golden axe. So I moved onto snes. After I got the thing working, I noticed the problem with the saves, and the fact that it wouldn't play tales of phantasia, star ocean, or kirby superstar; not to mention the little wierd deal that happens on the bottom of the screen while I play games that do work.

I have problems with other things that I can live without (FFVII emulation), but it looks like I'm stuck at this stage because my computer is so damned retarded that none of my conversians work; being the key to getting my PSP functionality on the GP2X.

sorry to sound disgruntled, but I just needed to vent that

SRAM is the battery backed ram inside of some game cartridges. Since the snes didn't have any other writable medium, this is what was used for saving your game position and other information.

mahavalllo, there are a ton of threads in this forum about which video converters work best (Virtualdub, AutoGordianKnot, PocketDivX, etc). Read up and experiment, you'll find a seamless solution.

Also, now that the mplayer source has been released, a beta of a community-devved mplayer has already been released. In the future, more codecs will be usable.

re: Tales of Phantasia and Star Ocean, they are well-known 'problem children' for emulation on any system.

mahavailo posted on Jul 14 2006 at 09:23 PM said:
I don't get all of this.

I love my GP2X, ...

Have you tried using PocketdivxConverter (http://divx.ppccool.com/) to convert your mpgs?
This works everytime for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mahavailo -- Guess I can't fully relate since 99% of my video files ARE XViD or DivX AVI files anyway! Those that aren't, I haven't had much difficulty converting at all, since I have a pretty standard procedure for converting anything to a 320x240 XViD file in VirtualDub/VirtualDubMod.

Emulation .. well, I can't say anything bad really. I'm very picky about emulation; but the software available for the '2x even this early on has accomodated me well. I'm yet to find an NES, GB or SMS/Game Gear title that didn't run just as I wanted it to, same for the MegaDrive/Genesis. Only ONE game doesn't work for me in GNGeo, and it seems to just be a crappy romset selection on my part. The games I play on SquidgeSNES run at full speed or very close most of the time, although I admit I'm not that big a fan of the SNES-- what I DO play works great. .. Weird deal on the bottom of the screen? .. that I am not at ALL familiar with ..

I guess it's a different situation for everyone with what they actually DO with the machine thereby changing their situation, but I do believe yours should be a lot better given that what you described are not by-and-large major problems.

NoidZ posted on Jul 15 2006 at 12:03 PM said:
Well it's the middle of July now...
I really would like to see what GPH changed now.
Oh, come on. It's saturday. Seventeenth is still the middle of july, and it won't come any faster (nor any slower) if you keep asking for it here every day. Even if it doesn't come 'till the END of the month, that's still up to them, and I doubt they'll be going "Oh, that guy in the gp32x forums is asking for it again! I think we should skip the testing and just release it right now."

Patience, young Padawan.

Epicenter posted on Jul 14 2006 at 12:14 AM said:
These are a bad idea for electronics. They melt solder by running current through it. So, you are running an unknown current through random parts of sensitive electronics...
Dunno about that but it works great for me. Have yet to have a problem.

Vimacs posted on Jul 14 2006 at 02:06 AM said:
I once bought one fo theese cold heat things, total crap dont buy it.
Better get a good solder station, mine heats up to 450° in about 3 minutes (not that you should ever need that temp)
Not quite. Im still on the first set of batteries and I fixed the headphone jack issue with it. Works like a charm.

Maybe dont get the cheap rip-offs ;)

PSyMastR posted on Jul 14 2006 at 02:54 AM said:
Ya, my father has one of those. It sits on a balsa wood/metal brick thingy, and can easily burn most things lol.
lol no not quite. But OK.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 15 2006 at 03:51 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on Jul 14 2006 at 02:54 AM said:
Ya, my father has one of those. It sits on a balsa wood/metal brick thingy, and can easily burn most things lol.
lol no not quite. But OK.
Trust me, this thing can rape your coldheat junk a new asshole.

Magnulus posted on Jul 15 2006 at 12:17 PM said:
NoidZ posted on Jul 15 2006 at 12:03 PM said:
Well it's the middle of July now...
I really would like to see what GPH changed now.
Oh, come on. It's saturday. Seventeenth is still the middle of july, and it won't come any faster (nor any slower) if you keep asking for it here every day. Even if it doesn't come 'till the END of the month, that's still up to them, and I doubt they'll be going "Oh, that guy in the gp32x forums is asking for it again! I think we should skip the testing and just release it right now."

Patience, young Padawan.

:lol: Like no one knows that :lol:

mahavailo posted on Jul 14 2006 at 07:23 PM said:
not to mention the little wierd deal that happens on the bottom of the screen while I play games that do work.
I think this has been fixed, I haven't noticed it since the very early versions of the emulator. About the video support: I was also mad that they falsely advertised more supported formats, but all of the videos I get online are in xvid or divx avi anyways, so they have all worked great. I haven't had many conversion problems, but I did have trouble converting dvd's to avi's (I finally got it to work, but it was a painful process). As stated before, you should try to search the boards for recommended programs (I'm guessing you're on windows, so try out autogordianknot, virtualdub, or any other you find). I hate it when people compare the gp2x to the psp, but I understand that to most people that is the logical comparison. And yes, the psp currently has better snes, but that is about all the psp has over the gp2x. It doesn't have neogeo, it doesn't have psx, etc.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 15 2006 at 07:51 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Jul 14 2006 at 12:14 AM said:
These are a bad idea for electronics. They melt solder by running current through it. So, you are running an unknown current through random parts of sensitive electronics...
Dunno about that but it works great for me. Have yet to have a problem.

Vimacs posted on Jul 14 2006 at 02:06 AM said:
I once bought one fo theese cold heat things, total crap dont buy it.
Better get a good solder station, mine heats up to 450° in about 3 minutes (not that you should ever need that temp)
Not quite. Im still on the first set of batteries and I fixed the headphone jack issue with it. Works like a charm.

Maybe dont get the cheap rip-offs ;)
I got one of those cold heat things from home depot and it was terrible. It eats up batteries and never works. The first one broke almost immediatly. I brought it back and got a new one. That one also broke. I decided to give up on it, it obviously doesn't work.

PSyMastR posted on Jul 15 2006 at 08:48 PM said:
Im going away the 24th and will be without gp32x for 3 weeks. I need that firmware :p

haha
same here
well i think its more beggining of august

Well, a first beta was out weeks ago, though we wanted a lot more new features (mainly for the MP3 Player, Playlists (savable), Better Shuffling, ID3 Tags, etc.)
Depending on what they'll try to include, it might take a while ;)

EvilDragon posted on Jul 20 2006 at 10:18 PM said:
Playlists (savable), Better Shuffling, ID3 Tags, etc.
Hooray! They'll come in real handy.

Do you know if they plan to (or already do) support more codecs for AV?

Wite_Noiz posted on Jul 7 2006 at 08:13 AM said:
K0K0NUT_h3lmut posted on Jul 7 2006 at 05:34 AM said:
1. Sometimes even when im on headphones, it switches to speakers but i can still hear the headphones. So then my *put relative or family member here* gets pissed that im listening to heavy/death/whatever metal.
What model do you have? Sounds like your headphone socket needs fixing

I get this as well. Thing is, its when I'm playing mp3s. It will be playing along merrily, then when it starts playing a new song, it occasionally switches the speakers back on.

I can't see this being a hardware issue, as its always when it starts playing a new song (and not an intermittant type issue, like if I move the headphone cable etc?). Cables haven't moved etc - but I have to take the headphones out, and put them back in to switch the speakers off again.... is this software/firmware controlled?? Seems to do it more often if I switch the screen off.

I also get clicks/odd noises when it stops/starts playing a track which can get annoying when listening to a number of songs on headphones..?

Also, if I switch the screen off (to save battery power when playing mp3's), I can't change volume, skip or anything.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back