New copper cases are finally being assembled

How does one finalize one's preorder? I placed one in May 2022. And out of curiosity, how does one place preorders, now that they aren't on the store page anymore?

How does one finalize one's preorder? I placed one in May 2022. And out of curiosity, how does one place preorders, now that they aren't on the store page anymore?
When it's your turn in the queue to receive your preorder, I believe you should be getting an email to finalise your order.

I also think new pre-orders are closed until ED's caught up with the backlog of existing ones, which still seems quite some time away.

I'd really like to see an official update again here soon...

Sorry for the delay in posting.
Real world stuff cropped up last week for me and didn't find time until yesterday to use my copper Pyra.
Reinstalled Buster42 OS on my pyra and used synaptic package manager to install the following apps:

firefox + iceweasel
mousepad (I prefer mousepad over the default Pyra text file editor)
xpdf
gparted
VLC media player

I'm not much of a gamer on my Pyra yet so here's my copper Pyra in real world usage situations.

Waiting for the engine block on my car to heat up, I used VLC player to watch Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Sound was a little scratchy, but my OpenPandora unit has similar speaker scratchiness.

I then went to my local public library bringing my Copper Pyra & my older OpenPandora along.

Pictured is a interesting looking non-fiction book I stumbled across at the library, my 1ghz OpenPandora w/ it's custom sewn soft padded case, and my copper Pyra w/ it's Dragonbox shop OpenPandora/Pyra case.
(The pandora unit looks bigger than the Pyra unit but that's an optical illusion).

Attachments

• Pyra_car_warmup_movietime.jpg
    Pyra_car_warmup_movietime.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 282
  • Pandora_Pyra_01.jpg
    Pandora_Pyra_01.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Real world Pyra usage pt2:

Checked my books read list with mousepad to see if I've read or encountered that interesting looking non-fiction book before
(Search result was no).

I then looked at 2 different sized PDF files at the same time on my Pyra unit.
This was really lowkey impressive, opening multiple large PDF files/browsing large PDF files has choked out most PDF viewers I've tried, however the Pyra +xpdf had no issues opening or browsing that 109MB A Dictionary of the Underworld pdf.

Pyra Notes:

-Buster42 OS is extremely barebones. By comparison, the base OpenPandora OS is a cornucopia of pre-installed ready2go apps.
Have not tested Bulleye or Bookworm Pyra OS images yet.

-Buster42 on my Pyra really didn't like exFAT SDCards. It will detect exFAT but hung the desktop GUI trying to access files. Only fix was physically removing the exFAT formatted SDCard or hitting the upper righthand of the Pyra screen which autologs you out. The OpenPandora's "format SDCard" option is badly missed.

-The brand new Pyra stylus feels rougher/less precise on the tip than the OEM OpenPandora stylus. Gently sanding down the Pyra stylus's tip should fix that.
Also considering getting a plastic film screen protector like my OpenPandora has. Wonder if the DragonBox shop sells them? :>

-By default, touching the very upper right most point of the Pyra touchscreen screen logs you out. Not really an issue unless apps go fullscreen, but becomes really annoying trying to minimize full-screen apps in the upper-righthand screen region with an imprecise pyra stylus.
I need to disable that hidden menu option.

Attachments

• Pyra_mousepad_books_read_check.jpg
    Pyra_mousepad_books_read_check.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Pyra_xpdf_2.jpg
    Pyra_xpdf_2.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 263
  • Pyra_xpdf_1.jpg
    Pyra_xpdf_1.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in posting.
Real world stuff cropped up last week for me and didn't find time until yesterday to use my copper Pyra.
Reinstalled Buster42 OS on my pyra and used synaptic package manager to install the following apps:

firefox + iceweasel
mousepad (I prefer mousepad over the default Pyra text file editor)
xpdf
gparted
VLC media player

I'm not much of a gamer on my Pyra yet so here's my copper Pyra in real world usage situations.

Waiting for the engine block on my car to heat up, I used VLC player to watch Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Sound was a little scratchy, but my OpenPandora unit has similar speaker scratchiness.

I then went to my local public library bringing my Copper Pyra & my older OpenPandora along.

Pictured is a interesting looking non-fiction book I stumbled across at the library, my 1ghz OpenPandora w/ it's custom sewn soft padded case, and my copper Pyra w/ it's Dragonbox shop OpenPandora/Pyra case.
(The pandora unit looks bigger than the Pyra unit but that's an optical illusion).

Great, thanks for the pics and reports, IT looks fantastic and sounds like you had a good experience using it too!

Great, thanks for the pics and reports, IT looks fantastic and sounds like you had a good experience using it too!
Yeah its a great device so far. Going to see if I can get something going with a ODB2 bluetooth dongle I have.

I ordered these. Any fitting protector will do the job but I liked the fact they explicitly mention Dragonbox Pyra compatibility :D
Thanks for the link. Will definitely buy one of them.

Amazing pictures!
Also very nice to have a more utility focused look at it as I currently use my pandora(s) for distraction free writing and research organization and that is what i mainly plan on using my pyra for once it gets shipped.

ED I never realized before that you have a few of the clear earlier cases up for sale. I know these had some issues but if my number comes up and you still have one lying around is it possible I could get my final unit with a clear shell instead of copper or black?

ED I never realized before that you have a few of the clear earlier cases up for sale. I know these had some issues but if my number comes up and you still have one lying around is it possible I could get my final unit with a clear shell instead of copper or black?
Or you could buy a case, and swap it or even have a dual tone one. I think there are more fit issues with the older clear ones, which would cause ED extra work...

Maybe someone could help me, but how would I go about purchasing a copper Pyra if I have no existing preorder? I'm not seeing a clear way of doing it on the website.

Hi,

I have a question about the copper cases. When you open the battery lid, what is the best approach?

I am thinking about using two screw drivers in the two small holes and bending, but I do not want to use to much force. Is that the right aproach?

The clear proto cases require modifications to the screen bezel otherwise it's easy to break the digitizer on the screen. The area around the nubs and maybe some other places need sanding down too.

I don't think they are able to ship out clear pyras since the cases require rework and that would slow down assembly I imagine.

I'd recommend just grabbing a proto clear case and diy.

Hi,

I have a question about the copper cases. When you open the battery lid, what is the best approach?

I am thinking about using two screw drivers in the two small holes and bending, but I do not want to use to much force. Is that the right aproach?
No, first step is to slide the lid to the side. Then tabs will be aligned in the small holes so you can lift it.
If you hold the arrows toward yourself the lid slides left.
Might want something that gives better grip on the surface as thumbsweat is slippy. But I managed to do it without any tools.

Reactions: rSl
Hi,

First slide it out to the side.
Then when the lid has a bit of an overhang, use that as a grip and pull the lid.
That should do it.

Back