New cables, more boards (2011-04-15)

They can all do 720 (which is what TI sell the chip at now).

TI also sell a version which can do 1Ghz but is probably just speed tested before they box it.

One reason for not going up one level might be battery life but we do have this huge battery and I've not noticed

a big difference and I've now had my Pandora turned on at 1Ghz for weeks, including leaving it plugged in and on for

5 days straight at 1Ghz without a crash.

It might throw a wrench into the whole "ten hour battery life" thing. I do think you should market its overclocking/volting capabilities, though.

TI also sell a version which can do 1Ghz but is probably just speed tested before they box it.

One reason for not going up one level might be battery life but we do have this huge battery and I've not noticed

a big difference and I've now had my Pandora turned on at 1Ghz for weeks, including leaving it plugged in and on for

The only thing I can think of is, how that may be counter productive and unstable when it comes to heavily optimised games/emulators using NEON etc., we don't know what the DSP will be like when it's used either, as to overclocking.

It is a real feature of the Pandora though.

Do we need to stick to OPP3? How about considering cranking up to OPP4 by default?
Then you reduce the battery life.

If anything, the default should stay at 500 and the voltage level should be reduced to OPP2.
Is there a big difference? 800@OPP3 vs. 800@OPP4, that is. I thought the LCD used the lion's share.

So TI are cherry picking the SoCs now. Will that mean less 1GHz Pandas in the future? Still 720MHz is way better than the 500Mhz we all bought into.

And I agree, the thing about a big battery is that it is there to be drained.

The only thing I can think of is, how that may be counter productive and unstable when it comes to heavily optimised games/emulators using NEON etc., we don't know what the DSP will be like when it's used either, as to overclocking.

It is a real feature of the Pandora though.
Presumably the PND would set the stage for the application, be that over or underclocking if need be.

Wow! I might give that a try!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow! I might give that a try!
Careful! The battery should not be on constant charge for all that time. Notaz had an issue but that was for a period MUCH longer than 5 days, but word of caution. Idea: Use a timer switch so you're not charging all the time.

It might throw a wrench into the whole "ten hour battery life" thing. I do think you should market its overclocking/volting capabilities, though.

I disagree. Anyone familiar with CPUs would already know that the Pandora can be overclocked. Marketing that fact would only encourage people who don't know what they're doing to overclock excessively. There's a reason why CPU manufacturers don't advertise overclocking abilities.

Everything else is just progressing normally now, we ship 100+ units a week and are keeping up with the 7 day orders.

100+ a week?

i'm worry. so now the new stats are: 25- weeks needed to complete the batch 1 (about 2500 units left to ship)? is that correct?

with the news in march/april i thought the batch 1 will finish in 2 months as usual, but now with this rate i'm under the impression that we move away again and again, just as to try to catch the horizon, the more you approach, the more it moves away. :(

Your right...

They said that they would finish batch by the end of april some time ago but it's already mid-may and still not past the 2000...

I wonder what the holdup is this time.

They say , no news is good news but i'm starting to wonder again. :huh:

I also wonder how many people asked for a refund because of these kind of holdups and delays from the start XD , that must be enormous :blink:

Jesus fucking wept.

No matter how many times I and Ed explain the situation it is instantly reset by people just not reading posts.

lack of updates with numbers leaves us in the dark...and then speculation happens.

I said it before:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/2630-juggling-with-some-numbers-2011-03-29/page__view__findpost__p__45652

So now the current status page is again a month old, and outlines "2500 units produced so far, 400 for RMAs" so, 2500-400 the official number is 2100.

I say this because as much as I try to follow updates roughly daily (maybe I ran out of other productive things to do with my day) I haven't seen any other updates with numbers that relate to anything.

Ed's numbers dried up. I saw a post referring to "often shipping 150+ units a week" but what is often and how many weeks since 2100? is that "often" meaning frequent enough we can assume a roughly 150/week average that after 4 weeks since the update then we should be at 3100 units -400ish rmas?

I still
feel like the status page said we were at 2000 units shipped in feburary, right as premium units started. Now it's almost 3 months later and status page has us at 2500 - 400. 2100. 3 months. 100 units.

I understand this is likely not the case. I mostly follow the stalker page looking for bits of info that aren't pure speculation. But it does upset me when I see people getting practically yelled at over not understanding the situation when there's a lack of solid information.

The other side:

I always try to see things from both sides, and have the view that I wish others would too. The information that we have gotten since everything has started is all that has kept me and I'm sure others waiting for over 2 1/2 years. I understand OP didn't have to involve the community like it has chosen to and could've left us all in the dark until we get our shipping email. If I had preordered something like Duke Nukem Forever, I can probably guarantee that the game studio would not be giving me monthly updates on how the game is progressing.

slash000_fudigg.jpg

My suggestions:

More frequent numbers somehow. Eds posts were very welcome. The status page is good, but not if it's not updated. If no one wants to post numbers anymore, that's always an option. I would expect refund requests to go up and more speculation and bickering on the forums. If I don't have my pandora, it's at least nice to know where it isn't at.

Well, I can no longer complain. I tried and my unit still isn't here. So, I just cross my fingers and hope very very hard that my unit will ship to me some time, eventually.

Jesus fucking wept.

No matter how many times I and Ed explain the situation it is instantly reset by people just not reading posts.

Well your in a nice mood today XD , did you have a bad night :p

Your posts are scattered on the forum like crazy , I would be nice if the blog is updated once a week or something , just a suggestion ;)

That really is a good suggestion, the status page could be updated every week. "I worked my ass off for you guys this week, week 20, but progress was lousy".

Or you could start another thread where only you can post an update every friday afternoon, before the weekend begins officially.

this would help enormously in stead of trying to find an update somewhere.

Keep up the good work guys!

Some people don't know how to read.

stop to play the defender just to have the good character each time someone say something. be objective.

you say that some people don't know how to read, i answer you "where to read?".

these people would appreciate an updated status page to read what they are supposed to read (do you remember this one http://www.openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=13&lang=en which is intended to keep us informed?)

Jesus fucking wept.

you show us your anger but rather than write a new important information in a new topic, you write it in a simple post "hidden" among several other posts in a long topic. there are risks that it can be unobserved.

the last topic of this forum it this one, and was created one month ago.

a topic by week to tell us "last week xxx units received, yyy buggy units returned and zzz units shipped to customers" would be good and more clear.

it is the main aim of this forum, isn't it?

Jesus fucking wept.

Yeah, people are probably confused because according to the main site, you've made 0 pandoras in the last month.

Even if they did find your "update" on the second page of a forum post, all they'd know is that you shipped "over 150 frequently". Which may be clear to you, but to everyone else it doesn't actually specify anything. Maybe you mean over the last four consecutive weeks? Maybe the last 8 or 10? What does "frequently" mean, (70% of the time, 30% of the weeks 25% of the weeks), what about the other weeks was it 0? What does "over" mean, 5 over or 700 over.

Even neurotically stalking you, it could only be bounded between 0 and my queue number minus the number there used to be.

I don't care that much if you tell us stuff, but I just wish you wouldn't act like you have when you haven't and I don't particularly think it's reasonable to curse about it.

Maybe there's been updates on the German boards? I really can't read that.

I was avoiding the forum for weeks. If you like, check out my last posting on gp2x. Do you really think we have time to follow all the spam on the boards? I'm still missing an uptodate kept offical status page. It's unbelievable, ED mentioned the completion of all first day preorder pandoras of his shop send out "by the way" in the forum. It was called a small milestone by some users, but did't got that much attention. All first day preorder pandoras of the gp2x.de shop found their owners.

Maybe there's been updates on the German boards? I really can't read that.
No. We had cases of missing news for some days. ED posted on the openpandora.org blog, but forgot to copy to the german news section on forum.gp2x.de. And german progress information is useless for international customers of craigs shop. The order numbering systems of both shops are independent and can't be compared directly. It would confuse you if you try to get useful information from the german board.

Back