New Blog Post!

I'm not "not posting" anymore. Just in threads like these, where everything I say can theoretically be ripped apart.
I keep posting at threads where I know the facts.

EvilDragon said:
I'm not "not posting" anymore. Just in threads like these, where everything I say can theoretically be ripped apart.

See, they did it again :D

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
Wait wait wait wait... Didn't you just say.....

I"m just screwing with you ED, you know we love ya. Don't take what people say so seriously, I'm sure it seems like a lot right now but you won't hurt anyones feelings if you dont engage in arguments with the forum junkies. Say your piece and take off like Craig does. Allow us to argue amongst ourselves, not with you. Same for you MW.

All these nice and sometimes informative posts her still don't enlighten me, WHEN the Cases ARRIVE! ;)
For me, it already sounds like the "17. or 20. April" already is an obsolete date, which would make me very sad (again).
So it sounds like the Factory now waits for the reaction of the Pandora Team, which shouldn't be I think. This way, the delays seems to go always from here to there and back and increasing each other, thats not a clever tactic. ^^"""

Just ship everything as it is and then we will see. No risk, no fun. :D When the first 1000 cases arrive there is enough time during the assembling to think about the next batch and if these will be painted, printed...or whatever. But I recommend to finaly start somewhere or we don't see our Units until the end of the year. The last pix look OK. DONE! NEXT!
Life could be so easy if people wouldn't make it always so complicated. :)

fusion_power: I expect that immediately when MWeston approve assembling line, they call to China: "Ship'em NOW!". Or so. MWeston then start soldering resistors. I don't hope that it will be before 20.4. so we probably get painted cases.

MWeston said:
The painting is done at a different company. The silk screening is probably also done there too. It doesn't seem too hard to imagine a painting company does printing too.

Sure I see that. And if that's the setup then I can see why there's such a short delay between paint with silkscreen and paint without. It's a good explanation.

What I then don't understand is what happened to the *concern* from a month ago about doing it like that:

MWeston said:
The problem is the mold company outsources the work and so they all have to be packaged up carefully, sent to this other company, printed, repackaged carefully and sent back to the mold company to be shipped to Craig with everything else. It could cause as much as another month of delays with the way we should trust them.

Has something changed that we should now trust them? You were worried that doing a silkscreen (ignoring their inability to do it nicely) might take up to a month, why do we feel differently about the painting - are we that confident it will only take the extra few days?

I'm not even clear if the case factory has all 1000 cases made. Are they already sitting in a box, waiting to ship either to us or to the painting shop, once we say the word? (Have they contacted the shipping company yet?) Inquiring minds (well, at least mine) would like to know!

^ A bit more info on case production: http://twitter.com/EvilDragon1717/status/12227075932 :)

Re: trusting them to paint properly, I guess it's a matter of the visual evidence we have. The black coat looks good and is hard to screw up. The silkscreening doesn't look good yet, and seems hard to get right. So it's a lot easier to trust them with the basic coat of paint for now.

@Benji_stein I believe the fear was ending up with a bad silkscreen and scratched up cases. This was said before the concept of painting the case was ever an option. The Painting process would actually theoretically be making the cases a bit more scatch resistant. But the fear of not getting a decent silkscreen remains.

I like how I was ninja'd by Gruso, but at the same time I technically ninja'd him because I basically said the same thing yesterday. :p

Alpha2 said:
@benji_stein I believe the fear was ending up with a bad silkscreen and scratched up cases. This was said before the concept of painting the case was ever an option. The Painting process would actually theoretically be making the cases a bit more scatch resistant. But the fear of not getting a decent silkscreen remains.

Well, I did leave out the part of the quote that came right before:
"These cases will not have a silkscreen as that would push delivery out into April and even then Craig worried they would screw it up and stiff us with the cases."

So you're right about the concern of getting crapy results, and being stuck with them. But the point about the timeline remains, in my mind. Sure, the back-and-forth to get it right could take who-knows-how-long (two months?) but I read it as also being uncertain (and disbelieving) that it will only take the estimated short about of time.

@gruso yes, just saw that (thanks Alec's stalker!). Very encouraging. As always, I'll try to have faith in OPT. If they decide they want the paint, and that the factory is on their word that it will only take a few extra days to get it, then sure. Go for it. Maybe all this will turn out to prove that the case factory was on top of it for once. I sure hope so.

One criticism that the team appear to have steered well clear of is the issue of the Pink Pandora being auctioned on eBay before the first units are sent out.

Is this still the plan?

Pleng said:
One criticism that the team appear to have steered well clear of is the issue of the Pink Pandora being auctioned on eBay before the first units are sent out.

Is this still the plan?
You appear to have missed something. Let me dig up the quote - it's a few pages ago in this very thread, if memory serves. :p Just a moment.

EDIT: My bad, sorry - it wasn't in this thread, it was in this one. Here's the quote I was thinking of;

MWeston said:
jb0yx said:
craigix said:
Michael is going to put the pink one on ebay when he gets it.

wait... you mean I could buy a pandora and actually get it in a reasonable amount of time?

Only problem is that it has to be pink.... always a catch
I don't think they actually plan to send that to me now that I have more information today. Maybe they should throw it in the box going to England. Sending it to me costs about $120 in shipping fees which isn't worth it unless it was coming with other parts I had to evaluate. Also, some people would be angered with that unit shipping before any others since I'd have to send it before getting on the plane to build the rest. Since SONY is pretty hardcore about the pink, maybe we can do something later in this regard. :)

SONY, that isn't the first time I've seen those pictures and they are permanently burned into my brain. Thanks for the refresher. I feel like I know you way too well now. :D

There's a big box of test cases arriving with me tomorrow afternoon (according to UPS at this very moment, subject to change, all rights reserved, patent pending, copyright 2010, we reserve the right to change at any time, your mileage may vary, items may be larger than they appear). :D

I have no idea if the pink one will be in there. It's a bigger shipment though: 1.40Kgs. Should be several cases and I know there will be painted and painted + silk screened cases in there.

MWeston said:
I have no idea if the pink one will be in there. It's a bigger shipment though: 1.40Kgs. Should be several cases and I know there will be painted and painted + silk screened cases in there.
When you are happy with the painted cases and everything fits (not speaking about silk screening), do you or Fatih gives the OK for the rest of the 9000 Cases? Or dou you still have to wait because of *insert random reason here* ? ;)
I just thought it is the best to order the rest of the Cases as soon as possible, who knows when and where the next Earth Quake or Volcano happens?

Well, the original "ship us only 1000" was so that they could see honest, true, really really really final cases that are made by the production process, right? Supposedly these cases are those same really really really final cases coming out of the production process, not their test rig, so there's no need for the smaller batch, right?

I found the box heading to Mweston. It can be seen traveling here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13654/Epic%20Cube.swf

WizardStan said:
Well, the original "ship us only 1000" was so that they could see honest, true, really really really final cases that are made by the production process, right? Supposedly these cases are those same really really really final cases coming out of the production process, not their test rig, so there's no need for the smaller batch, right?
You are right, these ones are the really really really final cases but not the really really really really final cases. You missed one "really" so we have to wait again of course. ;)

:lol:

Ok, lost again.

The first cases (first 1000) will be painted. I understood that silkscreening wouldnt happen till the later cases (>1000)?

Please correct me if I've got it wrong.

Back