New Blog Post

those issues mentioned there are exactly why I am so looking forward to this device. having to hack around a bit to get all those things working is fun!

btw: i see 1.april jokes like this coming: pandora released!!111
but the date could fit :)

Power Saving Mode: Yep, it's included and does work. At the moment, it should last for about 50 hours
Acceptable for the first release, but definitely not as a permanent solution.

There's no software audio mixer yet. ... but multiple sounds at once will not work yet.
Does that mean that ALSA doesn't support the audio chip yet?

Big thanks to Ed, and to all those developers racking there brains to make this unit worth everyones time!

Sadly, it looks like another 30 days before end user units start to ship(at best)! Oh well!

Chris

I'm confused about the WiFi

They say 'without using SDIO it was SLOW'

Then they talk about 1200Kbs. Then they seem to imply that wifi may or may not work when system ships. Does that mean they won't be including any driver at all if they can't get a 'fast' driver working? 1200Kbs is plenty fast for my needs!

Thanks for the detailed heads up on the OS ED. Sets the expectations pretty well.

Vitel said:
There's no software audio mixer yet. ... but multiple sounds at once will not work yet.
Does that mean that ALSA doesn't support the audio chip yet?

It just means we don't have a software mixer setup yet. Sound output is done through Alsa, so I guess ALSA works ;)

Last edited:
Pleng said:

Then they talk about 1200Kbs. Then they seem to imply that wifi may or may not work when system ships. Does that mean they won't be including any driver at all if they can't get a 'fast' driver working? 1200Kbs is plenty fast for my needs!
Ohhhh I never read it like that, I read it as: not working full speed, but may get it working for initial release, (otherwise we'll just have to live with the slow implimentation until then)
Hopefully it's the way I understood it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:

Sorry, my fault... it should be 1200bps approx ;)
So REALLY slow.

The driver will still be on the system, yes. Maybe it will even be working fully upon release. This is definately one thing we (or better: DJWillis) is hardest working on. But he's got very little time at the moment.

Last edited:
Nice.

though im still wondering which nub will be usable as mouse.

since im right handed i would hope it to be the right one (and leave it like that so games that require mouse aim, remain more like console style), but since theres also people left handed, (or people who likes to control it on the left psp legacy?)
hope that can be easily customized.

Production will start during the next days, probably on Monday. Then lots of Pandora cases should be spit out each day :)
While they do this, we try to make them another Silkscreen sample and send us a picture of it (not the whole sample) within this week. If it's fine, we'll use the silkscreen - if not, we'll just go with plain cases, to not waste anymore time.

After seeing the recent pictures/videos of the plain Pandora's I don't want the silk screen.
<sarcasm>
And since that sentiment may imply that I want the project to fail my order number is . . . :unsure:
</sarcasm>

we try to make them another Silkscreen sample and send us a picture of it (not the whole sample) within this week. If it's fine, we'll use the silkscreen - if not, we'll just go with plain cases, to not waste anymore time.
A complete black pandora... With no silkscreening... I'd love it!! The first batch could be regarded as the Black Panther Edition :D
800px-Jaguar.jpg

It's a Panthora!

Attachments

• 800px-Jaguar.jpg
    800px-Jaguar.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 139
1200 Kilobits = 150 KiloBytes = which is barely 1% of the 11 MegaBytes of 802.11b. That's pretty slow... it's only slightly better than 2x dialup.

Edit: Wait 1200bps! That's like beating a stone with a stick... or sending smoke signals.

EvilDragon said:
Pleng said:

Sorry, my fault... it should be 1200bps approx ;)
So REALLY slow.

The driver will still be on the system, yes. Maybe it will even be working fully upon release. This is definately one thing we (or better: DJWillis) is hardest working on. But he's got very little time at the moment.

mindlord said:
1200 Kilobits = 150 KiloBytes = which is barely 1% of the 11 MegaBytes of 802.11b. That's pretty slow... it's only slightly better than 2x dialup.

edit: aww, damn, got me

Maybe it was kbps - I haven't measured it out myself... just remembered the value 1200 in the IRC.
I think it MIGHT've been kbps - as with 1200bps, websites wouldn't work, and DJWillis was actually browsing the net.

DroneB Dev said:
Nice.

though im still wondering which nub will be usable as mouse.

since im right handed i would hope it to be the right one (and leave it like that so games that require mouse aim, remain more like console style), but since theres also people left handed, (or people who likes to control it on the left psp legacy?)
hope that can be easily customized.
I'm right handed but I'd prefer to use the cursor with my left nub and scroll with the right. I like the way it's implemented on the PS3 web browser. But either way, it should be able to be customized.

So, what was the rest of the TV-out status? It says "(see below)" but there isn't really anything about it below. Vimacs hinted at a user configurable resolution (even if only via the cli), do we have any details on that?

I am getting excited, hopefully Texas will be getting some cases by the end of next week?

EDIT: I too am wondering about the nub/mouse functionality. Will one be pointer and one to use as a scroll ball? Please? :D

Back