Release MyPaint port

Colourbanding could be a fist symthom for the purple haze of death.

Colourbanding could be a fist symthom for the purple haze of death.
Isn't X still stuck at 16 bit color depth, though? That'd definitely cause banding.

Is X the window system?
Yes. X handles the display whenever applications aren't using the framebuffer directly (i.e. some emulators).

Though now having actually looked things up, I realized I misspoke on that. I recalled reading previously that the graphics drivers didn't support 24 bit color in X, but in reality they don't support 24 bit color AT ALL. So it's a driver issue that doesn't really involve X.

Great to see all the drawings! :) I cannot draw much myself, so this is really nice to see.

Patch please

Please check the mypaint.pnd's documentation for the modifications I made. Basically added 2 files, which I now posted in this topic, and I added a few lines to 1 file. Because it is python, all the source is in the pnd: just mount it. Let me know if you need more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should've added this screenshot to the File Archive entry, it's a pretty good one that shows some basic features of the program:

http://imgur.com/MKyos

(although I always work fullscreen now; that's one of the real advantages for me)

The minimal description isn't very inspiring either. I tried to help you out a bit by leaving a comment there, though - hopefully people won't miss this one.

Maybe add a link to this thread in the description...

Anyway, thanks again. Here's another random thing I did:

I seem to have settled into a bit of a rut. :unsure:

The minimal description isn't very inspiring either. I tried to help you out a bit by leaving a comment there, though - hopefully people won't miss this one.

Maybe add a link to this thread in the description...

Consider also an email to the original authors, so they could inform users about the new Pandora version on their's site too. :)

Today I was travelling by train for 5 hours, and my cellphone (internet) died. I must buy some extra battery for my cellphone, just for pandora internet, because using internet wears battery much faster.

So I was left with nothing but lots of games and mypaint. So tried to remember old times (about 15 years ago) when I was drawing stuff, and I painted something.

mypaint-1.png

mypaint-2.png

mypaint-3.png

There seems to be some file corruption problems during saving, first picture had damaged bottom part, fortunately just about 150 pixels, which were mostly a white border. Also pandora hanged once (and I lost one picture, I had to hard reboot) - that was a picture of a city along the river, and you will never see it. And another time X server died, but fortunately I had saved my drawing a few minutes before that, so not much was lost.

Also I wanted to ask if you maybe have some idea how to clean my LCD screen - stylus & fingers traces.

EDIT: maybe we could make some gallery with our pictures? Currently they are very buried in this thread... - not even in general talk forum.

Also I wanted to ask if you maybe have some idea how to clean my LCD screen - stylus & fingers traces.
I use the same cloth I use to wipe my glasses.

Getting a screen protector (or using the one your Pandora came with) will avoid the problem altogether. Better safe than sorry, when it comes to potentially scratching your screen...

EDIT: maybe we could make some gallery with our pictures? Currently they are very buried in this thread... - not even in general talk forum.
I think they're fine in this thread - anything else would be too much hassle, probably, and it's better to keep things in one place...

By the way, what's going on in that second picture?

I use the same cloth I use to wipe my glasses.

Getting a screen protector (or using the one your Pandora came with) will avoid the problem altogether. Better safe than sorry, when it comes to potentially scratching your screen...

I think they're fine in this thread - anything else would be too much hassle, probably, and it's better to keep things in one place...

By the way, what's going on in that second picture?
Oh, I'm sorry. Once again I was too excited, and I made that thread already. And now we have two threads...

Well, if this won't work it will just get buried by other posts.

The second picture is up to your imagination. Every person that saw it was thinking that it is something else, which is entertaining for me.

Nice drawing, Esn!

It just occurred to me that I could be horribly wrong about the color banding. When painting large, smooth grayscale gradients there is very noticeable banding on my Pandora, but then again my screen turns green and purple when I open the display at certain angles, indicating... a bad cable?

Anyway, unmounting works now that I've installed hotfix 5. Thanks, Jey and mcobit

(sorry for going a little off-topic)

[edit] oops, didn't realize there was a third page on this topic. Silly me. I haven't heard of the "purple haze of death" before, as I quit haunting the boards when mine arrived. Sounds like that may be what's wrong with my screen, though.

I don't know if this has been reported or not, but if I attempt to use the color picker tool with "r" it pretty much takes over the system. I can't close the window or anything.

I think this should be mentioned in this thread. After it was pointed out that this doesn't work on the new firmware, eyecreate decided to fix it and uploaded a new version to the repo. It doesn't seem like many people have tried it yet. Does pressure sensitivity work? Some comments on the repo seem to say that it doesn't work with the new kernel.

I'll be trying it out when I get some free time in a few weeks.

I just made this with MyPaint as a test, based on a panel from Michonnes Story under SZb2 ....

michonnesstorymyattempt.png

(Though I was infact still using the old version from the other SD card it turned out...Doh!)

As a result I had the touchscreen bug where it will join up the the last co-ordinates, as seen between the E and W and the D E of A of 'The Walking Dead'. The Palette changes (as the background woods, should be black) are that same bug of it happily skipping colour choices as you draw and I'm not familiar enough with it, to re-find the correct colours. On Pandora it looks like nicely shaded black and gray tones. Plus the Sky is like little fluffy purple clouds of airborne droplets on the left side. The scent of spreading death flowing downhill upon the breeze, which is totally lost now.

Eyecreates new pnd runs fine though and has a different initial appearance. Also it seems to respond to lowercase hotkeys, whereas the prior version wanted Fn+B/C etc. The touchscreen bug appears to be gone but I couldn;t seem to get much difference in pressures via the Pandora touchscreen on the old kernel and I've ran out of battery for now.

I dont have the new kernel available to try, as flashing its bootloaders seems to kill my nand install and I need that for the next few days, otherwise I'd give it a shot.

Eyecreates new pnd runs fine though and has a different initial appearance. Also it seems to respond to lowercase hotkeys, whereas the prior version wanted Fn+B/C etc.
I haven't tried eyecreate's version yet (since I haven't upgraded to the new firmware, there isn't much point), but I actually really like the appearance of First's version - can't think of anything that I'd like changed, and the hotkeys were never a problem for me (especially since they can be modified). I've never experienced any colour problems with First's PND, actually... what problem is this? Thanks for trying out the new port and giving such a detailed report.

I got a PM from First a week ago saying that he might take a look at fixing this if time permits - he only recently got his Pandora back.

The new version works pretty good on the new kernel, including pressure sensitivity, although everything is a bit laggy. I don't know whether this is because of the missing touchscreen optimizations on the new kernel or the lack of overvolting support.

Edit: Okay, the problem are the missing touchscreen optimizations. Mypaint runs fine under the old kernel with 850MHZ @ OPP3

@Esn Sorry for the drunken shambling of the dead there. Turns out there is no difference in shortcuts, i.e both accept lower case letters. Eyecreates new version has a different default top menu bar repleat with coloured icons and such, which is perhaps absent (or I've switched it off) in First's version.

Both run fine on older firmware i.e HF4 in my case, a little overclock helps rid any lag. Under SZb2 old kernel, the original Firsts version suffers from the touchscreen bug but Eyecreates does not, despite the older kernel in use. Pressure sensitivity seems to work just fine in both versions on SZb2 on the old kernel. Not sure of the new one, for the reasons I mentioned above.

I haven't really used this program much at all and I must dig out your guide that you wrote on GP32x forum way back.

The issue I mean is that sometimes as you are drawing, it seems to trigger the colour choice palette and causes you to choose a new colour as you continue your intended mark. The result is mixed colours, usually red or pink if your using black. I definitely recall you raising this issue in the old thread (haven't re checked it yet) and then you found a fix or work around, which you put in your detailed write up of this program back then. So it's not a new issue.

Here's what I was trying to re-create though and with the touchscreen bug (by using the original PND version on SZ), it was impossible to attempt the background hills, hence I went for a haze of particles in the air, which are visible only it seems upon the Pandora (so perhaps my LCD is screwed with the PTOD, or just my eyesight, from reading The Walking Dead via Comix on Pandora)

michonnecharlieadlardso.png

Fair use : To demonstrate Pandoras portable artwork abilities for the colour blind hedgehogs in a bag everywhere!

Courtesy of 'Playboy' April 2012 (USA) 'Michonne's Story' by Robert Kirkman, making money where possible as usual, (see facebook for TWD social game soon and the Telltale game for Xbox, PC, Ps3 (except for Aussies) which rose up today it seems http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead/page1 ) and the (don't tell him, he might want some money) Awesome Artwork of Charlie Adlard.

The issue I mean is that sometimes as you are drawing, it seems to trigger the colour choice palette and causes you to choose a new colour as you continue your intended mark.

This happens when the touchscreen registers a right click, i.e. the stylus is left in contact with the screen in one place for a while. You can turn this behaviour off in MyPaint under preferences and all is well (using the latest version of MyPaint on the Repo). :)

Edit : Here's what to do :

My Paint / Edit / Preferences / Buttons / Button 2 - No action

Thanks for that Mr_Loon :) I eventually tracked down the old thread which I thought was on the other forum. It was of course page 1 and 2 of this very thread. I am definitely getting senile :)

Back