Release Precise touchscreen calibration

It seemed to make my touchscreen a little more responsive, but it wasn't really problematic in the first place...
There is a parameter called maxdelay in /etc/ts.conf which defines the maximum response time in milliseconds. If the touchscreen fails to provide a new sample within that time, TSLIB will force a pen_up event. I discovered that a value of 50 ms worked the best on my system, making the touchscreen extra-responsive during clicks. However, I had to change this value to 300 (0.3 seconds) to make sure it worked for everyone. Notably, Gandi had troubles using his touchscreen which seems to stall for 0.1-0.2 seconds from time to time, then resume operation normally. So with maxdelay=50, TSLIB was forcing pen_up events all the time on his system, making it impossible to drag&drop or select regions with the touchscreen.

You (and many others I suppose) may want to try to set maxdelay back to 50, or maybe try a few values in range 30-100 to find out the best one. Lowering maxdelay will further increase responsiveness during short clicks and double clicks, but at some point it will hit dragging and selecting performance.

Maybe I will modify the calibration utility to detect suitable maxdelay value automatically, by asking the user to drag the stylus between two points.

Last edited by a moderator:
You (and many others I suppose) may want to try to set maxdelay back to 50, or maybe try a few values in range 30-100 to find out the best one. Lowering maxdelay will further increase responsiveness during short clicks and double clicks, but at some point it will hit dragging and selecting performance. Maybe I will modify the calibration utility to detect suitable maxdelay value automatically, by asking the user to drag the stylus between two points.
How can maxdelay be set manually? Config file somewhere?

It would certainly be neat if the calibration tool could work it out automatically :)

Someday.

Someday I'll learn to read before asking unnecessary questions...

Okay this did fix all of my touch screen problems.  Thanks.  I can finally touch-click the Close buttons.  Dragging stuff is still hard because my Invisible Shield screen protector is clingy.

Notably, Gandi had troubles using his touchscreen which seems to stall for 0.1-0.2 seconds from time to time, then resume operation normally

Yes, and now the touchscreen is much, much better! I played one mission in StarCragt successfully using only the pen and I finally managed to do the first world of Kami Retro - something that was impossible before the update!

Once again: many thanks to you, dimag0g, for making this!

Just a strange thing I found on my USB stick, there is a directory "tsupdate.dimag0g" in pandora/appdata, but the PND has always been in the SD card... how is that possible ?

This seems like a problem with pnd discovery management. Check out /usr/share/applications/tsupdate.dimag0g#0.desktop or /home/$(whoami)/Desktop/tsupdate.dimag0g#0.desktop and see if the X-Pandora-Object-Path is set up correctly.

After reflashing 1.62RC, the tslib update did ask me to uninstall on first run and then did the install on the second run.

This is a bug in the installer, I know about it. Don't think it is worth pushing a new version to the repo though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently had to replace my LCD. I was not aware of that I even had this update installed.
But when trying to calibrate my screen I never get pass that first crosshair, it just keeps asking me to press firmer, decrease pressure, increase pressure, avoid abrupt movements, and it always indicates that test is not passed (crosshair animates to the corner and back).

In the end I had to reinstall the update and run it a second time before I got back to the old utility, which worked fine for calibrating.

I dont know if this is due to me being so bad at pressing the screen that I couldnt pass a single test, or if there is something wrong with the new touchscreen and the way it detects pressure.

If you ever think about making an update to this, could you consider making it possible to choose if you want to calibrate the position or the pressure. And it could be useful if the value representing the pressure could be printed on screen, so that you could use the utility to test the pressure sensivity as well. And a way to cancel / quit the utility unless this already exist without my awereness.

Back