Beta Mupen64Plus

regarding the issue with not being able to exit a game when not using picklelauncher:
I allways closed games in mupen64 using alt + F4, it still works regarrdless of picklelauncher.

Edit: The edited version of Pokeparadox now has the autoframeskip option, but it seems Notaz's R2 Sound Plugin is missing in the reedited pnd

Bampt said:
regarding the issue with not being able to exit a game when not using picklelauncher:
I allways closed games in mupen64 using alt + F4, it still works regarrdless of picklelauncher.

Edit: The edited version of Pokeparadox now has the autoframeskip option, but it seems Notaz's R2 Sound Plugin is missing in the reedited pnd
Thank you for the tip. Is "alt+F4" a universal way to quit any program?

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
Thank you for the tip. Is "alt+F4" a universal way to quit any program?
Yes you can exit almost every program with this, also you can go to the xfce shut down menu if no other application is selected

I recently got Pilotwings working (removed the black area below the planes, perfect now) and fixed some flickering in Papermario (better now, some textures are still black later in the game - need to check further). Patches sent to Adventus.

bzfrank said:
I recently got Pilotwings working (removed the black area below the planes, perfect now) and fixed some flickering in Papermario (better now, some textures are still black later in the game - need to check further). Patches sent to Adventus.

awesome, thanks! I always thought Pilotwings was one of the best games on the N64, and Pilotwings, goldeneye/perfect dark, and Starcraft 64 are the only reason I even have my N64 still physically hooked up.

Pilotwings and Paper Mario will be an awesome addition to the Pandora´s game library

bzfrank said:
Neat, can you check Bomberman 64 and Bomberman 64: Second Attack? The former either freezes or crashes as soon as you load it, and the latter just has a problem with UI elements and the title menu. (The title menu worked much better 3 or so releases of the graphics plugin ago)

I ask this because you still can't get this kind of Bomberman game in a handheld setting, and it is by far the best, IMHO.

-God Ginrai

PokeParadox said:
Adventus said:
Heres a new version: Mupen64Plus R1B3
Well definitely feels faster.
So far I've noticed:
F Zero X - the spinning track preview now doesn't render properly. (But it's very very playable in game with sound!)
Wave Race - the Green "Go!" lights are set too far down. But congrats on fixing the menus :D
EDIT: Forsaken runs PERFECTLY! although... very tricky to control on nubs...

The pc version of Forsaken with online multiplayer is still actively maintained and I'm going to begin work on a Pandora port. Please see my other post here HERE.

PokeParadox said:
jumpman said:
I know Mario 64 is always the bench mark for N64 emulation, but it would be spectacular if more games can get to this level of quality with sound.
Seriously, try Forsaken... I'm pretty sure it runs better than Mario64 :eek:

EDIT: I tried it on 600MHz still fullspeed. I just faced a boss and then it had slowdown, but on normal levels it runs beautifully.

Hmm.. Which boss was it ? We could optimize that AI code... Then again after 12 years of playing single player we mainly focus on multiplayer today... One of the features we want to add is ability for users to make bots... The bots can join real games and play each other and people.. We could potentially even make the built in game AI much smarter...

I'm going to begin a port of the PC version of Forsaken which is still actively maintained and supports online multiplayer. Please check this POST.

In case you didn't notice Mupen64PlusR1B5+ is now on the archive.
Its mainly the version Adventus posted but using current plugins for sound, etc.

Patches for Pilotwings and PaperMario (the later still has issues but its better
now, needs more work though) are in both gles2n64 gfx plugins available in this
version. See the Readme in the archive.

By default (for a fresh installation when the config files are created anew)
it uses a 800x480 framebuffer and frameskip set to 2. Using the framebuffer
will fix the dreaded 'hard freezes' for graphic intensive games, especially
the LOT:OOT Triforce cutscene but other random freezes too. You can edit these
settings however in the configuration of the gfx plugins.

bzfrank said:
In case you didn't notice Mupen64PlusR1B5+ is now on the archive.
Its mainly the version Adventus posted but using current plugins for sound, etc.

Patches for Pilotwings and PaperMario (the later still has issues but its better
now, needs more work though) are in both gles2n64 gfx plugins available in this
version. See the Readme in the archive.

By default (for a fresh installation when the config files are created anew)
it uses a 800x480 framebuffer and frameskip set to 2. Using the framebuffer
will fix the dreaded 'hard freezes' for graphic intensive games, especially
the LOT:OOT Triforce cutscene but other random freezes too. You can edit these
settings however in the configuration of the gfx plugins.

I just tested it - Pilotwings works great, but I think this is an older build. The 2 things that stood out to me are that it doesn't have the picklelauncher built in like the other latest version does, and automatically generated config file mentions nothing about autoframeskip/zelda hack/etc that the others do.

Thanks for all of the work that you've all been putting into this, it's already an incredible amount better than it was just a few months ago.

Nope, this is a current build actually. I left out picklelauncher since I don't use it and so I could not test it. I think its important to have a current version in the archive, since newcomers look there first.

Just switch to gles2n64 0.0.5 to get autoframe skip (each plugin has its own configuration file now!). I kept 0.0.4 because I feel it runs faster for some games (mario kart, LOZ:OOT, etc).

Any chance you could give post a sample config that works with pilot wings - I'm finding it very nice to look at but stuttering a bit when clocked at 875mhz. I don't think the auto-frameskip is working right.

Auto-frameskip can only skip one extra frame, however this version allows to combine auto-frameskip with normal render rate for the 0.0.5 plugin. Just set a frame render rate of 2 or 3 and activate also auto-frameskip. When the frame render rate is set to 1 only auto-frameskip is active.

And yes, Pilotwings is kinda slow still.

auto frameskip 1
frame render rate 2

Thank you. Will try it out tomorrow. I can clock at 875mhz opp3, so might try a bit higher on opp4/5 just to see how it copes with Pilot Wings.

That's a shame that the auto-frameskip can only skip one extra frame - more progress on this front would definitely be appreciated; it might be the quickest way to getting lots of games playable for those of us who don't care so much about frame rates as about getting the game running at the right speed (honestly, that's a lot more important).

Thank you for this release, I'll try it out tonight!

To be fair, it's not completely playable in its current state due to the lag - but it's MUCH closer to being playable now that the horrible black shadow is removed.

Back