Beta Mupen64Plus

Blue Protoman said:
Does this mean that I'll have to download ANOTHER Mupen PND? I've downloaded some new revision of it three times in as many days.

No one is forcing you to download. If you are content with the current updates or don't want to download a new version, no one is forcing you. It's a good thing if there are new releases often, that means that work is getting done.

EDIT: Can someone make a PND with the correct sound plugin? This has pretty much forced me to stop N64 emulation for the time being. :(

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox said:
Done: http://projectinfinity.org.uk/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=pokeparadox:beta:mupen64.pnd

In general I would like to know nice settings to get nice playback with the autoframeskip changes...

ty.

EDIT: Whoa, something is really wrong with OoT in the latest release. The back of the kokiri shop has any textures, and the rest of the shop is all just one color or another. For example, the floor is just a yellow polygon, and the tops of the jars are just green circles.

EDIT: At 850 600 MHz, I tried a couple of games, here's what I found:

Kirby 64 - Ultra laggy until you get to the gameplay, at which point it is much faster, but still just barely playable.

Winback: Covert Operations - Ultra laggy cutscenes, Ingame however is very playable, however it still suffers the phantom gray box that seems to plague all attempts at emulating the game. Also, your character and enemies are just black silhouettes due to some graphical error.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
notaz said:
Just for reference, my latest source (and binary) is here:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/misc/mupen64plus_notaz_audio_r2.zip

Thanks, that pretty much confirms that Adventus is using the old version. The version in the most recent release is listed as notaz audio r1.

-God Ginrai
Seems like this has happened a few times already... maybe you guys who're working on Mupen should have some kind of central site where all the latest versions of what you're working on are posted, to avoid future mistakes like this?

The Expansion Pack games (Shadowman, Prefect Dark etc) seem to be telling me they cant detect a Pack any more - anyone else having that problem?

Writing Gaijin said:
The Expansion Pack games (Shadowman, Prefect Dark etc) seem to be telling me they cant detect a Pack any more - anyone else having that problem?

Are you executing your games from the PickleLauncher GUI or the standard Mupen64plus GUI? If from the PickleLauncher GUI, try running from the Mupen64plus GUI.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Are you executing your games from the PickleLauncher GUI or the standard Mupen64plus GUI? If from the PickleLauncher GUI, try running from the Mupen64plus GUI.

-God Ginrai

I've tried both, seems to be the same result. Very strange.

My earlier tests that I said I took at 850 MHz might have been wrong. I think that I actually tested them at 600 MHz. <.<

I tested Winback and Kirby again. Kirby was slightly faster in the slowest parts, and the speed was pretty much the same in the actual gameplay. As for Winback, it seemed to be faster in gameplay, but also hard froze the system when I tried to shoot down my first enemy.

-God Ginrai

Workaround for the freeze issue:

In Mupen open the Graphics Setting. Change

framebuffer enable=0 to 1
framebuffer width=400 to 800
framebuffer height=240 to 480

Save. Play. LOZ:OOT does not lock at the triforce cutscene anymore.
Just tested it four times in a row.

Seems also to help in LOZ:MM (no freeze anymore either for my few tests), maybe other games too.

Thanks crow_riot for the tip! I cannot really tell how often I killed that $%&$§! Spider
searching for a workaround, must be at least 100 times or so. ;)

bzfrank said:
Workaround for the freeze issue:

In Mupen open the Graphics Setting. Change

framebuffer enable=0 to 1
framebuffer width=400 to 800
framebuffer height=240 to 480

Save. Play. LOZ:OOT does not lock at the triforce cutscene anymore.
Just tested it four times in a row.

Seems also to help in LOZ:MM (no freeze anymore either for my few tests), maybe other games too.

Thanks crow_riot for the tip! I cannot really tell how often I killed that $%&$§! Spider
searching for a workaround, must be at least 100 times or so. ;)

It works for me! Thanks!

Btw, you dont have to kill the spider every time. You can save right after fighting it, before walking into the portal

It works for me! Thanks!
Btw, you dont have to kill the spider every time. You can save right after fighting it, before walking into the portal

I knew I did something wrong... ;)

Glad it works for you. If the solution is really that simple no change to the driver is needed.

I think the freeze's in zelda might be related to very high memory consumption. Restarting into X and using top I've seen these games get to within 2mb of free memory. This might make the OGL driver fail for some reason (i.e. when it has to write the param or depth buffer to memory). I don't know exactly what's causing the high memory consumption.... though these games do require alot of shader / texture objects.

Adventus said:
I think the freeze's in zelda might be related to very high memory consumption. Restarting into X and using top I've seen these games get to within 2mb of free memory. This might make the OGL driver fail for some reason (i.e. when it has to write the param or depth buffer to memory). I don't know exactly what's causing the high memory consumption.... though these games do require alot of shader / texture objects.

I also checked that but I don't think thats the reason

- as the magic moment in the Triforce cutscene approaches there is still 12MB free here, running on XFCE (more on Minimenu). Texture buffer use was ~4 MB at this point and 73 shader programs were instantiated. I also added code to limit numbers of used textures to 512 (scales to ~1.4MB at the point of freeze) and shader programs (by periodically flushing the tree) and the freeze happened anyway.

- when rendering into a framebuffer memory consumption is even a tad higher and everything works.

- Other developers (of other GLES apps) experienced such freezes (which went away when rendering to a framebuffer).

I suggest to make rendering to a framebuffer object 800x480 in size the default option. This seems to resolves the issue nicely.

Since the obvious doesn't seem to be stated very frequent in the Mupen64 case I just wanted to do it: I find it just phenomenal that you guys are working on this!!! Please keep it copming, you make the pandora so much more worthy! :)

I have some questions though:
- notaz changelog of r7 of pcsxrearmed states, that he has implemented "most used GTE operations in NEON". Is this something that could be used here, too or is it only PSX - related?
- Since my pandora has to go back due to lcd cable: How well is zelda playable by now? I played it with bzfranks first release until the dekutree and found it ok, how is it working with bosses and later in the game? Does autoframeskip improve things?

Once again, thanks! This simply cannot be said often enough. B)

bzfrank said:
I suggest to make rendering to a framebuffer object 800x480 in size the default option. This seems to resolves the issue nicely.

While I'm glad we found a solution that works for us, I still think that we should be able to use it without the framebuffer. Not that I'm saying you should waste your time on it, just that I hope someone works to figure out the source of this problem.

-God Ginrai

Schnatterplatsch said:
- notaz changelog of r7 of pcsxrearmed states, that he has implemented "most used GTE operations in NEON". Is this something that could be used here, too or is it only PSX - related?
GTE is a coprocessor in PSX, so it's completely irrelevant for N64.

Schnatterplatsch said:
Since the obvious doesn't seem to be stated very frequent in the Mupen64 case I just wanted to do it: I find it just phenomenal that you guys are working on this!!! Please keep it copming, you make the pandora so much more worthy! :)

Seconded!

Schnatterplatsch said:
- Since my pandora has to go back due to lcd cable: How well is zelda playable by now? I played it with bzfranks first release until the dekutree and found it ok, how is it working with bosses and later in the game? Does autoframeskip improve things?

it's definitely playable, and the autoframeskip helps keep things more consistent.

The video framerate goes from perfectly smooth at points (the deku tree) to skips that are noticable if you're paying attention, but don't really interfere with the game. Some of the cutscenes are the worst part of the lag I've seen (ex the firey one with Ganon, but then fire is always demanding), but you can still figure out what's going on, and autoframeskip helps a lot with those.

To be fair, what I notice more than the video skips is the hiccups in the sound :-/

I'm particularly impressed that Majora's mask is playable. I figured Ocarina of time would get enough attention to become playable at some point (but didn't expect it to be this soon), but I never really expected Majora's Mask to be playable - since Ocarina is what everybody really cares about. I know they're similar but I thought Majora's Mask would be more demanding.

notaz said:
Schnatterplatsch said:
GTE is a coprocessor in PSX, so it's completely irrelevant for N64.

Yup, the equivalent here would be to profile to identify the most common calls/operations in the GLES plugin and NEONise them. (Note I'm making assumptions about the N64 SGI-type GPU calls here - that they are of a suitable pattern/nature to benefit from this form of SIMD acceleration..)

My pandora just arrived in the mail and is waiting for me at home. Is there anything I need to know about n64 emulation? I've been out of the loop for a while now ;)

Back