Mupen64Plus

Midna: Support for both handhelds is a Good Thing for the community, even if it doesn't perform that well on the Wiz. I'm assuming that they can convert to ES1.1 and include everyone, or convert to ES2.0 and leave the Wiz out of the picture. The first option is nicer for everyone. :)

But I don't know if they'll be able to get the blendmodes working in OGL ES 1.1. Might not be worth the effort to do two versions where one is crippled.

Ive taken a look and have started to begin cross compiling and I see some problems with the gl. There are things in there that arnt supported by nanogl, like lists.
I suppose the ideal thing would be to convert this to ES, 1.1 if we want to consider the wiz. Any ideas/suggestions?
Ummm you do realise that code is just for the font rendering library for the Onscreen Display.... I would just create a dummy OSD for now.

Exophase said:
But I don't know if they'll be able to get the blendmodes working in OGL ES 1.1. Might not be worth the effort to do two versions where one is crippled.
That was the point of my post, Trooper. Don't go out of your way to support it. Especially if you'll diminish support on the Pandy end by adding Wiz support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so if they are two separate undertakings then I stand corrected. Either way, it's not really appropriate to tell devs not to support a system just because you don't own one.

Adventus said:
Ive taken a look and have started to begin cross compiling and I see some problems with the gl. There are things in there that arnt supported by nanogl, like lists.
I suppose the ideal thing would be to convert this to ES, 1.1 if we want to consider the wiz. Any ideas/suggestions?
Ummm you do realise that code is just for the font rendering library for the Onscreen Display.... I would just create a dummy OSD for now.

thanks, i actually created stubs for the missing functions for now, so mupen binary compiles, now plugins...

midna25 said:
That was the point of my post, Trooper. Don't go out of your way to support it. Especially if you'll diminish support on the Pandy end by adding Wiz support.

But that`s upto Pickle, Same as any developer, They`ll take on what ever they choose, For their own reasons, Whether you, I or anyone likes it or not. If anyone benefits from their input, Then thats a bonus. Alot of developers do it for knowledge, Because they can and maybe other reasons only they know. No one has the right to tell them what to and what not to support.

Trooper

Man im sore, sanding all day yesterday, painting all today.
Ok, im into the plugins, but i need to stop for now. I wont be able to work on this for a couple of days, but I will when i can. So far it appears it might be possible to use nanogl.

trooper said:
midna25 said:
But that`s upto Pickle, Same as any developer, They`ll take on what ever they choose, For their own reasons, Whether you, I or anyone likes it or not. If anyone benefits from their input, Then thats a bonus. Alot of developers do it for knowledge, Because they can and maybe other reasons only they know. No one has the right to tell them what to and what not to support.
Trooper
For now that need as been averted, so lets worry about it when it comes up again. But my point was to consider using 1.1 ES since it has the most coverage, move devices are going to support it. If it technically cant be used then it shouldnt. But the decision on what to use should be rational. But i think this topic should be dropped until the time comes to discuss it.

Good luck with all the work pickle, both real life and with the emulator. Im travelling to a customer where il need to move sand the whole day in the hot sun:(
im glad you guys are helping ari with the project!

Cpasjuste said:
Pickle, you should upload what you'v done so far, i could work on opengles too soon.

Sounds like a plan. ;) It's nice to see so many people working together like this. ^_^

-God Ginrai

Cpasjuste said:
Pickle, you should upload what you'v done so far, i could work on opengles too soon.
And there it is...both Pickle and Cpasjuste looking at the code from our new friend Ari64....yep, it's official. I've wet myself just a little bit. :D

Exophase said:
- Any plans on scheduling for Cortex-A8? Naturally this will make the register allocation more constricted but with a lot of loads in the picture it seems worthwhile.
I was able to benchmark the reordered loads. The overall speed improvement is difficult to measure and less than 1%.

I found something odd though. If I moved loads before stores, performance went down. It's not clear why this would happen. Perhaps the write to the L2 cache is stalling something, but it is still possible to do L1 cache loads during this time.

I guess I don't know enough about the A8 to really optimize this stuff.

guizm said:
Ari64, do you think that its possible to see full speed emulator of zelda Oot with sound on pandora? I mean sometime at the future... It could be soo sweet...
Do you have a pandora dev board os something like that? have you already preoder Pandora?
I ran OoT for 30 seconds without video or audio output and the CPU usage averaged 73%. So... maybe.

What's a good tool for setting the clock speed on the OMAP3? Angstrom doesn't seem to come with cpufreq-set or anything like that.

Cpas.
my changes are at pickle.gp2x.de/mupen.zip
The changes are mainly changes to the makefiles and the osd files.
You should be able to change the PREFIX var i put in pre.mk and it should compile.
I turned off GTK and QT4, I didnt see them necessary for what we want to achieve in the short term, and plus it makes it easier to compile. I also hacked around some checks to get things to work quicker, i.e. pkg-config part.

I didnt include the blight plugin, but make this change to compile this tool thats needed during the build process:
Code:
ttftoh: ttftoh.o
    gcc $^ -o $@
ifneq ($(OS), WINDOWS)
    strip $@
endif

ttftoh.o: ttftoh.c
    gcc -o $@ -O3 -c $<

The N64gl also has these flags:
Code:
USES_QT4 = false
USES_GTK2 = false

Thats a far as Ive gotten. I noticed the N64gl is using SDL to init opengl, maybe we can use SDL13 +nanogl? Nanogl just needs it's init function called, but im sure you know that.

Ari64 said:
guizm said:
Ari64, do you think that its possible to see full speed emulator of zelda Oot with sound on pandora? I mean sometime at the future... It could be soo sweet...
Do you have a pandora dev board os something like that? have you already preoder Pandora?
I ran OoT for 30 seconds without video or audio output and the CPU usage averaged 73%. So... maybe.

What's a good tool for setting the clock speed on the OMAP3? Angstrom doesn't seem to come with cpufreq-set or anything like that.

The pandora boads peak at about 900, if I want to test something at the limit I use 850. i seem to remember there was an app for beagleboard to set speed, we were using at the very beginning. (I hope it wasnt just for the SGX, i cant remember) I would search the beagle community in the google board, maybe find Koen since he seems to be on top of the beagle board scene.
Notaz built in a very easy use interface for pandora in our kernel, so its a simple command line for us.

craigix said:
I suspect the whole Pandora scene is sitting refreshing this thread with great suspense.

I know I am.

You got me. ;)

-God Ginrai

craigix said:
I suspect the whole Pandora scene is sitting refreshing this thread with great suspense.

I know I am.
Damn tooting.
I might not have much of an interest in N64 emulation or all the technobable that comes with this thread; but comparing the emulation of such a high machine to the emulators of other systems is an excellent way of seeing what the Pandora (and it's devs) can really do :D

Back