Mupen64Plus

Pickle, is this emulator already running in the Wiz? Do you have numbers of the performance on the Wiz? Thank you very much for the hard work :)

I have read the full thread for your information, my english is bad, i know.

Pickle is working on it and with very good results in my opinion.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49358-mupen64plus/page__view__findpost__p__753315

Last edited by a moderator:
Laurent said:
Has Wiz been mentioned in this thread? If so, I have some bad news: the generated code is using some instructions that are not supported by the older processor in the Wiz.
Yes, I mentioned that already. Anyone who thinks this will run well on Wiz obviously hasn't tried it.

I was surprised how much difference the movw/movt made, I guess the constant pool was causing a lot of cache misses. Maybe it's not surprising since it had to bring in a whole 64-byte cache line, but typically read only one or two constants.

Ari64 said:
I was surprised how much difference the movw/movt made, I guess the constant pool was causing a lot of cache misses. Maybe it's not surprising since it had to bring in a whole 64-byte cache line, but typically read only one or two constants.
I'm not surprised :)

The problem with constant pools is multiple:
- the cache line has to be both in I-cache (since it's close to code) and D-cache (since you're loading)
- you have to allocate an I-TLB entry and a D-TLB one for these lines

Using movw/movt removes the need for D-cache and D-TLB entries, and given that a D-TLB entry maps only 4 KB, you really don't want to waste one entry.

BTW this makes me think about hugetlbfs suddenly :p IIRC ARM kernels don't support it...

Laurent said:
The problem with constant pools is multiple:
- the cache line has to be both in I-cache (since it's close to code) and D-cache (since you're loading)
- you have to allocate an I-TLB entry and a D-TLB one for these lines

Using movw/movt removes the need for D-cache and D-TLB entries, and given that a D-TLB entry maps only 4 KB, you really don't want to waste one entry.

BTW this makes me think about hugetlbfs suddenly :p IIRC ARM kernels don't support it...
The A8 supposedly has 4K, 64K, 1M, and 16M TLB entries. If it really used 4K entries for everything that would be bad.

I still use pools in emit_extjump, so that get_pointer can parse it, but this code only runs once or twice so it's not a performance issue.

Ari64 said:
The A8 supposedly has 4K, 64K, 1M, and 16M TLB entries. If it really used 4K entries for everything that would be bad.
Linux always uses 4KB pages on ARM... And also on x86, unless you use hugetlbfs.
OTOH the kernel is mapped using 1 or 16MB pages if available.

Have you looked at glN64? I don't think it has any shader code, but it has a combiner compiler that should make it pretty straightforward to generate shaders with. I wouldn't consider a lack of frameskip that much of an immediate concern. It shouldn't be that difficult to add later.
The Combiner "compiler" in glN64 is using glTexEnv() commands. You might have them confused with blend modes? They're much more flexible than blend modes but your right that there probably isn't a one to one mapping between them and the n64 combiners. Still they're obviously close enough to be used in glN64 and rice_video. I have compiled glN64 with my wrapper without too much pain and i've got some 2D graphics to show.... I will see if i can get anything more over the weekend.

Adventus said:
Have you looked at glN64? I don't think it has any shader code, but it has a combiner compiler that should make it pretty straightforward to generate shaders with. I wouldn't consider a lack of frameskip that much of an immediate concern. It shouldn't be that difficult to add later.
The Combiner "compiler" in glN64 is using glTexEnv() commands. You might have them confused with blend modes? They're much more flexible than blend modes but your right that there probably isn't a one to one mapping between them and the n64 combiners. Still they're obviously close enough to be used in glN64 and rice_video. I have compiled glN64 with my wrapper without too much pain and i've got some 2D graphics to show.... I will see if i can get anything more over the weekend.

I'm definitely talking about the color combiner emulation. What glN64 does is converts the combiner operations to a different symbolic format, then performs algebraic transformations in order to try to simplify the one or two passes into something that are more likely to fit on a fixed function video card. Then it passes them to glTexEnv() or nVidia combiner extensions. The point I was getting at is that it wouldn't be that hard to take the output of the compiler and generate shaders with them, especially for you since you've already done things like this.

I'm definitely talking about the color combiner emulation. What glN64 does is converts the combiner operations to a different symbolic format, then performs algebraic transformations in order to try to simplify the one or two passes into something that are more likely to fit on a fixed function video card. Then it passes them to glTexEnv() or nVidia combiner extensions. The point I was getting at is that it wouldn't be that hard to take the output of the compiler and generate shaders with them, especially for you since you've already done things like this.
Ahhh right. Sorry for the confusion, as usual i missed the point by a big margin. I guess i could gain performance since multipass combiners would become singlepass, but i would like to know how often these actually occur first....

Adventus said:
Ahhh right. Sorry for the confusion, as usual i missed the point by a big margin. I guess i could gain performance since multipass combiners would become singlepass, but i would like to know how often these actually occur first....

It also performs substitions/reductions for things like zeros and ones.. really it's stuff you'd want to do no matter what, but it's already done so it should be pretty easy to generate a shader equation from it. I bet you could do it in a few hours, tops.

It also performs substitions/reductions for things like zeros and ones.. really it's stuff you'd want to do no matter what, but it's already done so it should be pretty easy to generate a shader equation from it. I bet you could do it in a few hours, tops.
I would assume the shader compiler is already doing those optimisations but i may be wrong. Obviously, I'll focus on getting it running first....

Adventus said:
I would assume the shader compiler is already doing those optimisations but i may be wrong. Obviously, I'll focus on getting it running first....

.. yes, that's probably true, I hadn't really thought about that ;D But it's still better for where you want to support either shaders or (with best approximation) fixed function texture environments, like on Wiz. I was actually meaning to look into exactly what texture blending Wiz supports in hardware.

Exophase said:
I wonder where all the rest of your CPU cycles are going at a max of 18m emulated per cycle? Maybe you'll find a good breakdown of it.
Still trying to figure this out. 18 MIPS and 1 Mflops shouldn't be this hard. There don't seem to be a lot of L2 misses given how well it scales with increasing CPU clock frequency. There does seem to be some L1 i-cache pressure though. Compiling a smaller number of larger blocks helps somewhat, so that is what I'm looking into next.

Ari64 said:
Still trying to figure this out. 18 MIPS and 1 Mflops shouldn't be this hard. There don't seem to be a lot of L2 misses given how well it scales with increasing CPU clock frequency. There does seem to be some L1 i-cache pressure though. Compiling a smaller number of larger blocks helps somewhat, so that is what I'm looking into next.
If it scales well with CPU frequency, why do you think L1 Icache pressure is high?

Laurent said:
Ari64 said:
If it scales well with CPU frequency, why do you think L1 Icache pressure is high?

Probably because L2->L1 linefills performance scales with CPU frequency. Although, L2 miss time would have a component that scales with CPU clock too. Not as big as the DDR latency component, though.

Ari64, interested in trying oprofile for us? I might try it on x86 Linux, but I don't yet know how to make it only turn on/report performance counters and not do other profiling.

Exophase said:
Probably because L2->L1 linefills performance scales with CPU frequency. Although, L2 miss time would have a component that scales with CPU clock too. Not as big as the DDR latency component, though.

Ari64, interested in trying oprofile for us? I might try it on x86 Linux, but I don't yet know how to make it only turn on/report performance counters and not do other profiling.
The L2 cache runs at a fixed ratio to the CPU clock, so when you increase the core clock the L2 speeds up too. Also the PLD instructions aren't helping much. (The x86 PREFETCH is a lot more effective since it fetches to L1. PLD on the A8 only fetches to L2, so it doesn't help where the L2 miss rate is low.)

As for oprofile, the standard profiling where it captures a stack trace every few milliseconds isn't going to be very useful. Let me know what you find out about the performance counters.

Exophase said:
Laurent said:
Ari64 said:

I still don't understand why if the program scales with frequency, one can deduce Icache pressure is an issue. If that was the case, it shouldn't scale as your Icache loads would be a bottleneck :)

As far as perf counters go, there's perhaps another option to oprofile: making perf counters available to user mode. cf http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.ddi0344b/Bgbcjifb.html
That'd mean adding one line in the kernel somewhere...

Laurent said:
I still don't understand why if the program scales with frequency, one can deduce Icache pressure is an issue. If that was the case, it shouldn't scale as your Icache loads would be a bottleneck :)

Scaling with frequency indicates a lack of main memory accesses, since the RAM is on a different clock. This implies a high rate of cache hits (either L1 or L2).

The reason I suspect i-cache pressure is that reducing the number of instructions improves performance. In fact, removing the PLD instructions actually increased performance, which was unexpected and the opposite of what happens on other CPUs.

The Cortex-A8 can be configured with either 16K+16K or 32K+32K of L1 cache. TI did the former, which seems like a very poor design decision.

Ari64 said:
The reason I suspect i-cache pressure is that reducing the number of instructions improves performance.
Ha, in fact I somehow did not see how you had come to that conclusion in your original post. So we agree :)

In fact, removing the PLD instructions actually increased performance, which was unexpected and the opposite of what happens on other CPUs.
That's odd: Mans Rullgard who writes the NEON code for FFmpeg said PLD increased performance (you can take a look here git). You should probably schedule these preloads well in advance.

The Cortex-A8 can be configured with either 16K+16K or 32K+32K of L1 cache. TI did the former, which seems like a very poor design decision.
(wild guess mode) OMAP3 was probably originally designed for smartphones (given that it was done by TI Wireless business unit as OMAP34xx) so their decisions made more sense. Of course, now even for smartphones you need more L1 cache; OMAP4 will have 32 KB + 32 KB L1 and 1 MB L2.

Back