Mupen64Plus, Zelda Majora's Mask

paulscode

Does the latest version of Mupen64Plus for Pandora still have the problem in Zelda Majora's Mask, where going through the forest portal near the beginning of the game causes the game to freeze? If so, is the cause for this known, or possible places to look for the solution? I'm trying to solve this in my Android port (if it hasn't been fixed in the Pandora port yet, I'll post the fix once I figure it out).

I believe I was using the newest mupen64, but for MM, a lot of graphics wouldn't load for me after hitting the first town making it unplayable. Never any crashes though.

Thanks, I'll grab the latest source and do some comparisons then to see if I can figure out what's different.

I played this in the latest version graphics look fine and plays fast only problem i had was it froze in the tunnel as you said,just sort this out,that will be great.

I have one more question doom 64 click on the game goes back to the pandora menu same with dk64 and aerogauge has graphics problems and star wars racer,waverace 64 have to use old plugin to work.

All star wars don't work can all of these games be sorted.

Ah, darn. Sorry to hear about that crash for Majora's Mask in the latest version. Just to clarify, ocean, are you running the R1_B5+ version, or is there a newer version I missed?

Wish I had a Pandora myself to test some of the different versions to see which ones it works on and which it crashes. I suppose the cause could also be something in the configuration settings.

Old thread, but in case anyone comes here looking for the solution, see here. This is a more surgical solution than the previous solution of porting in the January version of new_dynarec.c.

The same code which is being reverted there works in PCSX, so it's probably not the right fix (most likely breaks whatever Ari64 was fixing there).

The same code which is being reverted there works in PCSX, so it's probably not the right fix (most likely breaks whatever Ari64 was fixing there).
It would be nice if Ari64 could comment on it. It's like he disappeared from the scene since October.

The code works fine on Android and Pandora too - the only currently known negative side effect is the freeze in one specific game (Zelda Majora's Mask). Since that is one of the 3 most popular N64 games, this change was necessary for an N64 emulator. I would not recommend making the change if it isn't needed (i.e. PCSX which doesn't play Zelda Majora's Mask anyway).

That said, we have run a lot of tests on various hardware, and no noticeable performance issue has been reported between the versions.

previous comments removed, due to a much better clarification (thanks notaz)

I'd have to see the official word from Ari64 though, to know what impact is expected from this change.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the newer code checks if regmap_pre[r] value is valid before using it, while old code just used it blindly. It happens so that invalid value (-1) has special meaning (use temporary register), so old code likely works due to luck (temporary register is not in use at that moment, or is using something that doesn't break the game).

I'd say 15_dirty_registers_fix.patch is a fix uncovering another bug somewhere, and older bug hides the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, If the only problem were the freeze at the one portal, I probably would have left it the code alone and posted a link to a save-state after the portal (since this is at the very beginning of the game anyway). Unfortunately, besides being the only game apparently affected by the bug, it is pervasive throughout the game - freezing when moving between sections of the town and just randomly freezing all the time. There really wasn't an acceptable workaround short of reverting the code. Being as popular as the game is made any fix a very high priority. Hopefully there will be a better solution to the underlying problem.

Back