Prototype Impressions + Mupen64Plus With Loz: Ocarina Of Time

Defo said:
Adventus said:
Could you try these controls and let me know how they work out?
I don't think using the keyboard for A/B would be a good idea. The keyboard is more spongy than normal buttons. Maybe mapping the C buttons to the keyboard would be better, since there not used so often.

Also, some games require A and B to be pressed at the same time, and if I remember correctly the keypad can only register one press at a time.

edit: clarification

I believe the D-Pad, nubs and A/B/X/Y L and R Buttons are all part of a joystick device which doesn't have that restriction.

Last edited by a moderator:
TrashyMG said:
Defo said:
Adventus said:
I don't think using the keyboard for A/B would be a good idea. The keyboard is more spongy than normal buttons. Maybe mapping the C buttons to the keyboard would be better, since there not used so often.

Also, some games require A and B to be pressed at the same time, and if I remember correctly the keypad can only register one press at a time.

I believe the D-Pad, nubs and A/B/X/Y L and R Buttons are all part of a joystick device which doesn't have that restriction.

You are correct, but I was talking about the qwerty keyboard, not the gaming controls.

TrashyMG said:
Defo said:
Adventus said:

Also, it's two keys, not just one. Be a little difficult to shift-key if it were only one (at least until sticky keys is implemented)

It is great!

Whats the fascination with Zelda (Ocarina or Majora)?
I've never played either for more than 10 minutes without being bored out of my mind.
Blast Corps was fun for a while!

kingoddball said:
It is great!

I've never played either for more than 10 minutes without being bored out of my mind.
Blast Corps was fun for a while!

I concur. I am one of the small minority who does not enjoy Zelda games. I'm not sure what it is about them. They just lose my interest fairly quickly.

Links Awakening is the only exception to this rule.

kingoddball said:
Nothing specific. It's just the best videogame ever created.

Tyvm @Adventus. I only bought the Pandora for Amiga-emulation and portable Ocarina of Time.

Never played links awakening. I was always a fan of action games. i.e Goldeneye, PD, Turok styled games. (FPS and Third persons shooters)
I didn't even like Mario64 very much. I spent time playing it, but mostly only the first world.. Super Mario (NES and SNES are different - I played them to death! Still do).

hum, what's your order number?
zelda is surelly the best game ever (ok, no I prefer thief quite more...)

Never understood why you would want zelda when you could have played the superior final fantsy 7 at the time. However owning orcarina of time on release i am kinda excited by this video to give it another go.

I love the 2D Zelda games, but I get lost enough in them to even think about trying to play any of the 3D games!

Ocarina of Time is without a doubt the best action adventure game ever created and judging by what people have said about it and the reviews it have received I would say it's the best game ever made. I don't know if I would say it's my all time favorite game but then I don't think I can say that about any single game. The game is huge and does a lot of things right (it's not 100% perfect) and by that time it was the best looking game as well.

Best RPG ever for me is definitely Chrono Trigger. I've never really got far in any Japanese RPGs except this one, which I have played through to the final boss, he's a really tough monster. It's just amazing with all the time traveling, the story is great, the art is the best I've seen on SNES and the music might be as well. The combat is similar to Final Fantasy 7, but a little bit better if you ask me. There's no complex leveling up or crafting that makes modern Japanese RPGs such annoying to play, everybody gains experience and those used in combat get tech points to learn new spells and attacks. The characters can also learn combo attacks to combine their powers. A true classic that I will enjoy one more time from the beginning on my Pandora.

DaveC said:
The DS lite has an extra detent position but that was custom for them and the hinge MFG would not sell that version to us (Nintendo owns it).
Apologies for the derailment, but if one happened to have some junked DS or DS Lite units around, could the hinge from those be used to replace the hinge in the Pandora? I mean, would it fit without serious modification?

Taylor-MadeAK said:
DaveC said:
The DS lite has an extra detent position but that was custom for them and the hinge MFG would not sell that version to us (Nintendo owns it).
Apologies for the derailment, but if one happened to have some junked DS or DS Lite units around, could the hinge from those be used to replace the hinge in the Pandora? I mean, would it fit without serious modification?

I believe the cases are structured differently.. You would probably just buy an new case from OP to completelt fix it.

MrBlais said:
Taylor-MadeAK said:
DaveC said:

I believe the cases are structured differently.. You would probably just buy an new case from OP to completelt fix it.

I believe he means to replace the default hinge with a DS one to allow for multiple screen positions, not fix a broken Pandora hinge.

It's not much to do with the actual hinge that allows for it to be locked in a position. There is a mechanism attached to the bottom part of the case that slots into the hinge between the two halves http://www.consoleparts4u.co.uk/nintendo-ds-lite-barrel-hinge-pin-set-184-p.asp - I'm guessing it's incompatible with the Pandora. The Pandora's is likely stiffer and more 'heavy duty' to accommodate the weight and size of the top half. - Maybe from a DSi LL?

Drat! I know its too early for optimized N64 emu but without sound it just seems like your getting half the game. I thought it was usually a given that an emu runs faster without sound.

SoleGrave said:
Drat! I know its too early for optimized N64 emu but without sound it just seems like your getting half the game. I thought it was usually a given that an emu runs faster without sound.

If the sound is emulated anyway, the speed wouldn't change noticably.

fischju2000 said:
It's not much to do with the actual hinge that allows for it to be locked in a position. There is a mechanism attached to the bottom part of the case that slots into the hinge between the two halves http://www.consoleparts4u.co.uk/nintendo-ds-lite-barrel-hinge-pin-set-184-p.asp - I'm guessing it's incompatible with the Pandora. The Pandora's is likely stiffer and more 'heavy duty' to accommodate the weight and size of the top half. - Maybe from a DSi LL?
You mean that metal ring on the right side of the image? That's the left hinge, actually, the one that the LCD cable goes through (which is why it's removable) and then fits into the fixed (as in non-removable) female hinge socket on the left side of the DS Lite. It doesn't have anything to do with the part that controls the dual locking screen positions of the DS Lite, its job is just to support that side of the hinge.

The hinge piece that I was wondering about is on the right side of the image, the barrel hinge. It sounds like OP wanted to duplicate this for the Pandora, but couldn't because Ninty owns the patent for it. So what I was wondering is if the one that is assembled into the Pandora could be replaced with a spare/replacement Nintendo DS Lite barrel hinge that has the extra detent position. Being a barrel hinge, it has specific grooves on the end that mates with the right (removable) female hinge socket on the lower portion of the DS Lite that prevents it from turning within that socket. Likewise, the portion that mates into the upper portion of the DS Lite is flat on two sides to prevent turning in its respective socket.

So, what's the likelihood that the barrel hinge from a DS Lite would exactly mate with the sockets for the Pandora's barrel hinge? DaveC, you designed the case, can you answer this? I can't find an exploded illustration of the Pandora case components, or an image of the hinge in question, so I can't compare and answer my own question this one.

Back