Release Mupen64Plus 2.2

Paper mario crashes for me still at the Goomba Bros, but OoT runs great in widescreen!
You are on which Pandora model, and using which Video Plugin?
1GHz and all plugins. Haven't tested every plugin since the update, but I will do so and let you know.
Mmmm, if you have a reliable way to reproduce the crash (some save just before?), I can take a look. I'm quite sure I (or my son) I've been pass this (it's quite early in the game if I remember correctly), so it should work.

Speaking of "p", I wish there were a way to move that function to a different key.  I keep pausing the game by accident, and would like to assign the A button to that letter.
I have checked the code, and this should be parametrable.

You'll need to edit the Core config file, and set "Kbd Mapping Pause" to the desired SDL Scan key code (which is 'p' by default). I hope it helps.

Paper mario crashes for me still at the Goomba Bros, but OoT runs great in widescreen!
You are on which Pandora model, and using which Video Plugin?
1GHz and all plugins. Haven't tested every plugin since the update, but I will do so and let you know.
Mmmm, if you have a reliable way to reproduce the crash (some save just before?), I can take a look. I'm quite sure I (or my son) I've been pass this (it's quite early in the game if I remember correctly), so it should work.
It is very early. I can send you the save 5-10 minutes prior to this spot. Perhaps my ROM has corrupted.

Speaking of "p", I wish there were a way to move that function to a different key.  I keep pausing the game by accident, and would like to assign the A button to that letter.
I have checked the code, and this should be parametrable.

You'll need to edit the Core config file, and set "Kbd Mapping Pause" to the desired SDL Scan key code (which is 'p' by default). I hope it helps.
I'm glad to know that it's possible, and now I've found that config file, thanks ptitSeb.  I have not yet found SDLK_keysym.h though, so I only know the number values of a few keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mario64 runs better than before, but the widescreen support is badly flawed - run around in a circle in the very first area of a new game and you'll see the trees popping off the display (disappearing) as they move past the 640-wide native boundary. This happens for all sprite-based objects :(

Got the DPad as analog now, so it's playable but still stutters occasionally at 900MHz on a CC.

Also, can we run at native resolution yet or are we stuck with the awful highres graphics? Stretched 320x240 would be just perfect!

D.

Also, can we run at native resolution yet or are we stuck with the awful highres graphics? Stretched 320x240 would be just perfect!
It's always been a config file edit away...  well at least for gles2n64 plugin 

Also, can we run at native resolution yet or are we stuck with the awful highres graphics?
 whats awful about high res graphics ? 320 200 stretched would look way uglier.
That's your opinion and therefore subjective - there are some of us that prefer low res, and some that prefer stretched graphics. I fall into both categories.

D.

^ I don't mind the former as "Low Res" is actually the original resolution, but the latter drives me nuts.

For both Mario64 and Mario Kart, the screen flickers dreadfully between black and display - and despite setting the framebuffer to 320x240 it's still rendered at high resolution. It's not widescreen though, but also not stretched.

I wonder if the new widescreen code that's been forced in has affected other plugins?

D.

Also, can we run at native resolution yet or are we stuck with the awful highres graphics?

whats awful about high res graphics ? 320 200 stretched would look way uglier.
That's your opinion and therefore subjective - there are some of us that prefer low res, and some that prefer stretched graphics. I fall into both categories.

D.
We are talking about 3D graphics. There are tons of people who spend time to update old games to make them look better with high resolution and better textures (see Resident Evil 4 HD remake). If those resolutions had been available at the time the designers of those games would have used them. So why refuse them now ?

For both Mario64 and Mario Kart, the screen flickers dreadfully between black and display - and despite setting the framebuffer to 320x240 it's still rendered at high resolution. It's not widescreen though, but also not stretched. I wonder if the new widescreen code that's been forced in has affected other plugins? D.

Well It's odd I can't seem to force stretched widescreen like I used to, but I can make the gles2n64 plugin render at 320x240 by setting the framebuffer settings to 400x240 and the Window resolution to 320x240 in the config file. It's for sure a lower resolution then when set to 800x480 FB and 640x480 Window 

For both Mario64 and Mario Kart, the screen flickers dreadfully between black and display - and despite setting the framebuffer to 320x240 it's still rendered at high resolution. It's not widescreen though, but also not stretched.

I wonder if the new widescreen code that's been forced in has affected other plugins?

D.
For (both) Rice plugin yes, Widescreen is hard coded. But gles2n64 should work according to your taste, I'm surprised because I don't have witnessed the effect you describe mayself... I'll check on my CC to be sure...

I've managed to get rid of the flickering, and with the gles2n64 plugin MarioKart runs a *lot* faster than with Rice. It's almost fullscreen! \o/

Looks to be still rendering at 480 height rather than 240 though - might be the widescreen hack at work though? Mind you, other games (such as Animal Forest) seem to be also rendering at 480 too. And won't stretch to fill the screen, as you say.

Also can't disable the dreadful bilinear filtering either. That just looks so bad.

We are talking about 3D graphics. There are tons of people who spend time to update old games to make them look better with high resolution and better textures (see Resident Evil 4 HD remake). If those resolutions had been available at the time the designers of those games would have used them. So why refuse them now ?
It's pretty nasty looking at say, the text on Mario64's save-slot selection screen and seeing the awful bilinear filtering as it's scaled up to the new resolution - at native res it's blocky but doesn't have that awful black fringe around it - and neither do other sprites and text in the game.

Just because you can use higher resolutions doesn't mean you should. And as I said, this is a subjective matter of taste, not superiority. Your opinion is wrong in my eyes, just as mine is wrong in yours.

D.

Just because you can use higher resolutions doesn't mean you should. And as I said, this is a subjective matter of taste, not superiority. Your opinion is wrong in my eyes, just as mine is wrong in yours.
For PSX games you don't use the high res mod either I guess ?

One of the reasons why I think you opinion is wrong is that you are anyway playing on a LCD screen which has nothing to do with the CRT screens we had at the time of the N64. The CRT way of displaying things created a lot of smoothness that you cannot get on a pixel-perfect LCD mode of display. So, if the LCD anyway looks nothing like a CRT screen, I don't really understand why you want to stay in 320*200 because that 320*200 you get on LCD will anyway look worse than any CRT-displayed 320*200.

Back