Release Mupen64 Config Testing

Playing goldeneye. I get slow downs every now and then.. Same with the music :( I'm running at 1100

Any ideas? I'm assuming I don't need to mess about with the configs??

Also the controls are a nightmare for me :(
Unfortunately we don't have per-game controls - so this is an "acceptable" generalised control scheme. You may wish to remap things if you plan to play one specific game for a long length of time. You should expect slowdowns - only so much that a config tweak is going to give you. Also Goldeneye is "harder" to emulate.

Stupid question time, do I need to rename my roms to exactly match the rom names mentioned in these config files for them to work under these optimised conditions?

Nope the name in the specific settings is the Internal Name. You can find this out by opening "Mupen Config" (i.e. the regular mupen GUI) And add the internal name column to the rom list - and point mupen to your roms directory.

Basically your rom filenames can be anything - it's the internal name that is put in the config that matters.

stainy,

Edit ppsp_input.conf and switch

N64 R=BUTTON R

N64 Z=BUTTON L

to

N64 R=BUTTON L

N64 Z=BUTTON R

This moves the trigger to the right shoulder.

This works good for me in Goldeneye and Mario Kart.

Just a heads up that I updated the mupen.pnd on the repo!

It uses the configs mentioned in this thread and the suggestions made by Wally and dgame.

I made an improvement on the controls by changing the value to 0.6 instead of 1.0 and I also worked on more aspect correct resolutions.

If you grab this PND please note that the default configs are copied from the PND only if the files are missing from your appdata folder, so it is recommended you carefully delete your configs before running.

Thanks PokeParadox, I haven't tried Mupen64 in over a year(to many issues), but I'm gonna give this a go right now.

Chris

Good Job Guys! :)

I remember that I also lowered the analog nub sensitivity in the config per hand, because the default was pretty high and I always wondered why I've gotten so bad in Lylat Wars. :D

I didn't notice this topic before and wanted to mention:

- I like L set to the Select button, personally (and this makes sense).

- Some games don't work well with frameskip, having horrible graphical glitches. Ones I saw this in are Mario Party 3 and Paper Mario. I think the slowdown is easily worth being able to actually see what's going on in these games. Maybe it's a problem with the old units, though, in which case you can disregard this.

turning off auto frame skip improves speed too.

Code:
auto frameskip=0

that's odd - how much did you change the config since my last post?

updated the pnd today, deleted the appdata folder to get the new default config and now, again, harvest moon not working. ...of corse, the one time i didn't do a backup ;)

I've noticed, that Starfox64/Lylatwars still has graphical artifacts around the "border" of the screen (reamining background pieces like stars, sky and other stuff) . Not sure how to fix this, it is present since the beginning, maybe I have to try some settings around offscreen rendering but this may cause other issues...hmmm....

Has anyone (on non-1GHz machines) ever gotten Mariokart to run with decent sound? I get a smooth framerate, but sound is stuttery as hell :(

D.

Nope, still cannot get decent music/FX in Mariokart - still very broken, though the video updates lovely and smooth.

Also, there appears to be some rather ugly black bars to the left and right of the image - how do I get rid of them?

D.

Also, there appears to be some rather ugly black bars to the left and right of the image - how do I get rid of them?

There is, but you will make everything look stretched. N64 native aspect ratio is 4:3..

Last edited by a moderator:
ZXDunny,

change

window width=640

window height=480

to

window width=800

window height=480

and it will stretch (wrong aspect ratio) the image wide to fill the screen. Circles will look like ovals.

ZXDunny,

change

window width=640

window height=480

to

window width=800

window height=480

and it will stretch (wrong aspect ratio) the image wide to fill the screen. Circles will look like ovals.

Thankyou, that's exactly what I wanted!

D.

I can't get Mupen to run at a custom CPU speed. When I set cpu_clock to 200 in config.txt (in appdata) and in minimenu, games still run at the same speed as before. Where is the proper place to set the CPU speed for Mupen?

Back