MS-DOS game recommendation thread

I remember several from this list, but one I remember playing as a kid was BLOOD. OK, so it's not exactly for everyone, but there's some nostalgia in remembering how scared I was of the first zombie that I didn't leave the first room for for like 20 minutes.

Does that run well in DOSBox? A native port is out of the question, as the original source code was lost. (There's an open source remake called Transfusion, though.)

Some Guestimates say Blood would be a little too slow with Dosbox to be playable.. I can give it a try in few days once my Pandora arrives.

Transfusion would be cool, but requires the Darkplaces engine (modified Quake Engine) to be ported.. I may take an attempt at porting, but not entirely proficient at it.

Does that run well in DOSBox? A native port is out of the question, as the original source code was lost. (There's an open source remake called Transfusion, though.)
I don't know, as I alway splayed it in windows compatability mode.

However, I posted here because this seems to imply it does. Though it may be a bit taxing on the pandora's hardware.

For those not aware, [url removed] is a great and LEGAL site where you can find abandoned games and many will run under Dosbox.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those not aware, <URL edited out> is a great and LEGAL site where you can find abandoned games and many will run under Dosbox.

Copyrights aren't like trademarks. Just because they aren't currently being enforced doesn't mean they've lapsed.

While most would probably agree that morally abandonware sites are fine, from a technical and legal stand point it's still copyright infringement.

Sielle is correct. Unless it's been declared freeware by the rights holders, it's not guaranteed legal, so it's better not to link it here. :)

I got it to run a few days a go but it was too slow to be playable.

Veil of darkness was a cool game. I recently completed it through Dosbox as I never finished it back in the day.

I also like the SSI D&D games. Menzoberranzan was really cool, and so was Ravensloft. I'd love to be able to play them on my Pandora because I never finished Ravensloft, and I want to play the sequel 'Stone Prophet'. Al-Qadim was a more zelda-like action rpg, but I remember really enjoying it.

I'd like to give Battle Bugs another try. I gave up on it back then because it was too hard for me.

Is Fallout or Fallout 2 in the pandora's libary?

I'd suggest Cannon Fodder, the original Forgotten Realms games (Eye of the Beholder, etc), and SkyRoads. The latter has been freed by the publisher and is available for download through a quick google search. :)

Veil of darkness was a cool game. I recently completed it through Dosbox as I never finished it back in the day.

If you like Veil of Darkness, try The Summoning. It uses the same game engine as Veil, but it's more RPG like. I just started playing it on DBox and it works quite well.

One of my favorite strategy games is Global Conquest which was made by the late and great Dan(i) Bunten.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/global-conquest

58397-global-conquest-dos-screenshot-main-game-screen.gif

In case anyone didn't know, The Elder Scrolls: Arena and The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall are free at elderscrolls.com. I'm downloading them now. :)

Hi, I've got the DOS version of the philips cdi classic Burn Cycle and also The Last Express working flawlessly. The last express is the GOG version which has a self contained dosbox within it. with a bit of jiggery pokery they both work brilliantly, the speed is spot on :) :)

Back