MS-DOS game recommendation thread

I don't know if you're seen DaggerXL yet, it seems like a pretty cool project

Yep, but at the moment it's not really playable, so I'll wait.

Sadly, many of the re-creation of game engines project that were interesting me have lost their devs.

I hope it won't happen with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starcontrol II - there is a native port

starcontrolII.1.png
starcontolII.2.png

Syndicate

syndicate.1.png
syndicate.2.png

Does anybody else remember LHX Attack Chopper? I've never found another flight sim that really grabbed me since.

lhx.1.png
lhx.2.png

+1 for Dune II & X-Wing

Edit: Sorry for taking the images down - should be back up soon

I'll third Wing Commander and sequels, haven't played it in YEARS! Hmmm... what else.

The Leisure Suit Larry series. ;) Gotta love good ol' EGA/VGA sleaze.

Also, there's an old obscure game called Shadow President that was a blast to play back when.

I DO remember LHX Attack chopper. Remember F-117A stealth fighter?

Oh, and Harpoon!

I second Jazz Jackrabbit (don't forget about the Christmas editions - there are 2 of them!) and all of the Commander Keens (I also highly recommend the new fan-made continuation, especially Dead in the Desert). Other good platformers: Jill of the Jungle, Bio Menace, Monster Bash.

Whacky Wheels is a really fun Mario Kart-like game.

The Incredible Machine is an awesome game where you create Rube Goldberg-like devices:

IIYqy.gif

Logo, Logo, Logo. I don't even know if I would have ever started programming if it wasn't for Logo. Stupid, I know, but I think it's note worthy.

(Edit) Man it's hard to find a screenie for a game with the title Logo

(Edit2) Removed link.

That's what I'm talking about baby! Good ole educational games.

(Edit3) I know I am not the most forum savvy guy around, but what did I do wrong that my pic doesn't show?

That's not an image url, it's a link to a web page with the image on it (googlefied, anyway). Try this one:

logo2.jpg

what is the point of this logo? i am intrigued

It was a very, very simple programming language they used to teach in primary schools in the early eighties (I was in year 4 when I learned it - how progressive was that!)

The appeal for children is you could use it to control an actual robot (called a turtle) that had a pen, so as it moved over a flat surface it drew shapes. Our turtle looked a little like this one

turtle.jpeg

To draw a square you would do something like:

FORWARD 10

LEFT 90

FORWARD 10

LEFT 90

FORWARD 10

LEFT 90

FORWARD 10

Good times!

Edited to add: It was more a tool for teaching geometry rather then robotics or programming, but the lesson was cunningly disguised.

I really liked Quarantine, a game in which you where a taxi driver in a dark future where a lot of guys tried to kill you while you delivered your passengers so you had to pimp your taxi with lots of weapons:

254-quarantine-dos-screenshot-slamming-into-a-pedestrian.gif

It was a very, very simple programming language they used to teach in primary schools in the early eighties (I was in year 4 when I learned it - how progressive was that!)
It's not really that simple. Granted, all I was taught about it was how to drive a turtle, but it was (is) a full functional programming language as well supporting loops, subroutines, variable scoping, list comprehension and all sorts.

FORWARD 10

LEFT 90

FORWARD 10

LEFT 90

FORWARD 10

LEFT 90

FORWARD 10
Or to save space, you could write "REPEAT 4 [FORWARD 10 LEFT 90]", or to make a generic regular polygon drawer routine that happens to draw a square you could write something like:

TO POLY :SIDES

REPEAT :SIDES [FORWARD 10 LEFT QUOT 360 :SIDES]

END

POLY 4
But, like you I was never shown list comprehension or subroutines in logo - it was just used as a teaching tool to get the kids interested in programming. All real coding from then on was done in BASIC :(

Re: games, those Syndicate screenshots look pretty close to how the Amiga version looked, from memory, which is a surprise - I remember PC games from that era looking pretty icky.

I thought it would be cool if someone made a turtle graphics simulator. I'm not alone.

Edit (Getting back to MS-DOS): Someone mentioned Jurassic Park. There was that part where one of the kids had to be rescued from the sewer. That crocodile scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. I still get a little nervous at times when I'm swimming.

Re: games, those Syndicate screenshots look pretty close to how the Amiga version looked, from memory, which is a surprise - I remember PC games from that era looking pretty icky.
The DOS version of Syndicate is actually considered superior to the Amiga. The Amiga port was limited to 320x240 while DOS used 640x480. It wasn't a straight upscale either - the DOS port had more detailed sprites.

The Amiga version did use 256 colors while DOS was only 16, but with clever use of palettes and dithering you couldn't really tell and the added detail more then made up for it.

The appeal for children is you could use it to control an actual robot (called a turtle) that had a pen, so as it moved over a flat surface it drew shapes. Our turtle looked a little like this one

turtle.jpeg

FORWARD 10

LEFT 90

FORWARD 10

LEFT 90

FORWARD 10

LEFT 90

FORWARD 10

Good times!

Edited to add: It was more a tool for teaching geometry rather then robotics or programming, but the lesson was cunningly disguised.

All you guys are missing something about Logo --

Logo is a derivative of _lisp_, one of the greatest languages of all time. True story -- threy worked hard to mask the fact, but its true, and Logo is actually pretty powerful .. just turtle-centric :)

jeff

Back