MS-DOS game recommendation thread

Lots of good ones mentioned here... I enjoyed a lot of games that are available on ScummVM but here's a quick list of some of my favorite non adventure games:

4-D Boxing

A-10 Tank Killer

Barbarian

Beast

California Games

Digger

Dr. Sleeptite

Epic Pinball

Flightmare

ISKIB

Janitor Joe

Ninja

Pango

Popcorn

Raptor

Return to Zork

Sea Dragon

Shamus

Silverball

Sopwith

Syndicate

Thexder

There was also a game my brother bought at a Babbage's computer store. It was called "Bloody Axe." It featured a battle axe wielding barbarian of sorts, had great graphics for CGA and was gory and fun and awesome. I remember it even playing really cool music (for PC Speaker). However, it ran once, and after quitting, the executable was deleted. He returned it, got another copy, and the same thing happened. He returned it again and got something else. I'd love to play it again, but haven't found anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know theres DOS versions of Lords of Midnight, made by Mike Singleton, but i would love to see a workable version of the midnight engine (winlom99), unfortunately its win 95 and theres no linux versions i know of, getting win95 on pandora but its useless to play any games added into the eim image as its missing so many dependancies ( digressing slightly i know) but lords of midnight was/ is the classic dos game in my opinion (bringing it back to dos so i dont get booted (phew!)

+1 for TIE Fighter (beware of the Win95 remake)

Also without wishing to lower the tone, what are the chances of GTA1 and GTA London 1969 for DOS running well?

BushBuck Charms, Viking Ships & Dodo Eggs My link

Altered Destiny My link

and a Martian Chronicles game based on Bradbury. I forgot the actual name it wasn't the myst like one but a top down adventure game.

Probably many more if I thought harder.

California Games was rad back in the day too.

Joe Montana Football

I could do this all day though. Ah Nostalgia. :)

You are amazing. That is it exactly. I loved that game. Good old 333 mhz days. Talk about a great story. I wish there were more games with that kind of imagination and storytelling. Thanks so much for posting that answer. That would be awesome on my brand new Pandora.

I didn't read through the entire thread, but I don't think anyone mentioned Rescue Rover! It's a decent puzzle game made by id. Rescue Rover, Jazz the Jackrabbit, and SimCity2000 are the only DOS games I played as a child. I'm really hoping SimCity works well with the touchscreen.

Allow me to recommend Lode Runner: The Legend Returns. This game doesn't run perfectly on DOSBox on the Pandora because it's such a demanding game, but it runs decently and is a very good (official) Lode Runner game. The one issue is it's difficult to track down the DOS version of this game, but if you can, it's an excellent choice.

I wonder if some of the games in this thread might work better with Qemu... :p

• Dusk of the Gods: This was the Skyrim of my childhood, pretty expansive world, dense Norse mythology, and open ended gameplay
  • Waxworks: Dungeon crawling RPG with point and click adventuring with horror elements
  • Uncharted Waters: a game I discovered quite recently, a resource based strategy RPG which plays like a deeper, more "gamified" version of Dope Wars where you buy/sell/trade goods in ports of the old world, recruit sailors, fight pirates, discover treasure among other things. the game and its sequel are available on SNES too, but I'd rather play it on DOS
  • Beneath a Steel Sky: A really nice cyberpunk point and click adventure
  • Teenagent: if you dismiss the fairly uninteresting title, this is a short and pretty funny point and click.
  • Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess: I can't say I've played enough of this to have a valid opinion on it, but I think it deserves a worthy mention for how bizarre and moody the game is.

Dreamweb (you have to read the prologue "Diary of a Madman" via pdf though to get the whole story)

Dark Legions

Achon Ultra

Tie Fighter (a remake would be so awesome...)

Civilisation

Heretic

Hexen

Doom

Doom 2

If you can believe the ScummVM team. I can't find any links to an official announcement from either Creative Reality or Empire Interactive Entertainment but I've got no reason to believe the ScummVM team would lie and many reasons to believe they tell the truth, so yes, safe to assume it's freeware.

No idea if (and how well) they run on the Pandora but here is a list of games that have been mentionned (or I've missed them): 

- Jagged Alliance and Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games. Nice turn-based tactics games. You lead a group of mercenaries (each with their own personality and one-liners) against enemy soldiers.

The Pandora has a port of JA2, which is superior in all points, but the first ones are still good games.

- Terminal Velocity: The Starfox of the PC. A very nice first person "planet shooter" (like a space shooter, but on planets), led to Fury3 on Windows.

- Shattered Steel : A mecha game. I remember having a lot of fun playing it in co-op with my browser. I don't know how it has aged.

- Terra Nova : A squad based first person shooter. Very innovative when it came out. I don't know how well it has aged either.

- MDK: Funny third person shooter.

- Syndicate Wars: It's often less fondly remembered than the first, but it's actually far more tactical, if a bit frustrating sometimes.

- Circuit's Edge: Based on "When Gravity Fails" by Georges Alec Effinger. A RPG set in a cyberpunk Middle-East. The atmosphere of the books is well preserved, but it's easy to get lost without knowing what to do.

- BioForge: A bit like Alone in the Dark, but set in the future and with more emphasis on combat.

- Crusader: No Regrets and Crusader: No Remorse: Isometric tactical-action games.

- LBA (Relentless) and LBA 2: Fantastic action/adventure games. Thanks to the simplistic graphic style, they haven't aged badly.

- Hi-Octane: A very fast-paced racing game with guns set in the future.

- Magic Carpet 1 and 2: Hard to describe. Part first person flying carpet shooter, part populous? Very fun.

On the top of my head, there are probably dozens more that I'm forgetting

DOS era - the best ever in gaming history? ;)

Two classics of top of my head, and very playable on Pandora:

Superhero League Of Hoboken - crazy mash up of RPG and point`n click adventuring from legendary Legend Entertainment. Hard to describe, try it!

Darklands - one of the best cRPGs ever, period. From that golden era when every Microprose release was an insta-classic. Immensely atmospheric setting - medieval Germany with magic - truly open world, tons of detail and pausable combat. Unmissable. 

Back