Release Mr. Boom

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Mr. Boom, a clone of Bomberman.
preview1.png

This is a straight compile of Mr. Boom, with just some changes to have fullscreen and Pandora friendly keymap for Player 1.

A video of the gameplay on the Pandora from @ingoreis

History log
=========

Build 08
-----------

• Updated to 5.2
Build 07
-----------

• Updated to 5.1
Build 06
-----------

• Updated to 4.6
Build 05
-----------

• Updated to 4.5
Build 04
-----------

• Updated to 4.4
Build 03
-----------

• Updated to 4.2
Build 02
-----------

• Updated to 4.1
Build 01
-----------

• Initial build
  • Some Pandora customization

Last edited:
I like how both the bombermen (or should that be Mr Booms?) in that screenshot look to be on a quick exit from the game. I'll give this a spin this evening, I think. I love a bit of bomberman.

But this game is not multiplayer only? i remember trying to compile some weeks ago...but when i read multiplayer only...i didn't bored finish.

But this game is not multiplayer only? i remember trying to compile some weeks ago...but when i read multiplayer only...i didn't bored finish.
There are bots, so it's a multiplayer game where you can play alone (and AI is good enough for some challenge).

Just gave this a spin, and the bots on difficulty level 1 (I think) handed me my arse :)

But then I only just managed to win against a npc (create a bot but start before giving it a name, and it'll just sit there), so maybe my bomberman skills need refreshing.

But yeah. good port. The main menu is a little confusing at first, but I managed a couple of games in the end.

Just pushed a commit to fix the keys on macbooks, does it cover your changes ?
I haven't create a PR because it's really anedoctical changes. And I need to create a #define PANDORA in the makefile to keep that clean.

Look at the changes, it's really thin (but I still can do a PR).

Attachments

• mrboom_pandora.tar.gz
    699 bytes · Views: 676
Yeah would be good PR with a proper define into the Makefile

I haven't create a PR because it's really anedoctical changes. And I need to create a #define PANDORA in the makefile to keep that clean.

Look at the changes, it's really thin (but I still can do a PR).
I included most of your patch in master, I guess you simply need to add -DFULLSCREEN on Pandora in your package

Last edited:
Does anybody know which key needs to be pressed to continue after the initial screen? Kinda stuck there...

Hmm... The title screen gives this nice music. Pressing space for the first time you hear a pling sound. And only once pressing the enter game me a menu with 4 bombermans side by side. But that is it. no keys make it continue and pressing the pnd button gives me back the Pandora GUI, but what I guess is at lower CPU speed, so the only thing I can do is reboot it.

I left the Pandy in the heat once, and it doesnt come back up if it goes into deep idle mode. And often the video goes away after hibernation.... so I might have found the first game that actually uses part of the Pandy that are broken. Too bad. Thanks for the compile, though!

Hmm... The title screen gives this nice music. Pressing space for the first time you hear a pling sound. And only once pressing the enter game me a menu with 4 bombermans side by side. But that is it. no keys make it continue and pressing the pnd button gives me back the Pandora GUI, but what I guess is at lower CPU speed, so the only thing I can do is reboot it.

I left the Pandy in the heat once, and it doesnt come back up if it goes into deep idle mode. And often the video goes away after hibernation.... so I might have found the first game that actually uses part of the Pandy that are broken. Too bad. Thanks for the compile, though!
At the music title screen, press {X} to have the player selection screen, then space (one or two times) to add bots, then Enter to start game.

So, the only change on the github between 4.0 and 4.1 seems to be changing the key used to jump in linux SDL2 builds. I don't know if this was an issue with the Pandora version - I didn't even realise you could jump, but presumably that was something you reconfigured for the Pandora build anyway, so this is no real change for us. Nice that you're keeping on top of the github updates though.

So, the only change on the github between 4.0 and 4.1 seems to be changing the key used to jump in linux SDL2 builds. I don't know if this was an issue with the Pandora version - I didn't even realise you could jump, but presumably that was something you reconfigured for the Pandora build anyway, so this is no real change for us. Nice that you're keeping on top of the github updates though.
Previous version was 3.8...
Plus the key for jumping was a wrong internal binding, making it impossible to jump previously (to jump, you need to find an "Egg" bonus, you then ride a big bunny kangaroo, that can jump, and provide you an extra "life").

Last edited:
Back