Moderating: SONY Vs SONY

i miss SONY as a member, BlueProtoman, you better step up and take your old place again before someone does something stupid and give RedBaron( R.B, E.B ) the chance to speak here again

Last edited by a moderator:
If we have Sony for his enthusiasm and Prometheus for her ... well everything we want from a mod.

Both this guys are too jolly. Vote me as a mod, vote grumpy bastard. :p

Sony, Good luck and all that but TWO STARS on your badge already! Surely you should learn to cook the chips(fries) properly before being allow to flip burgers(burgers). :p

Just pulling(yanking) your leg(chain). Don't ban me.

While I don't want to be a part of the drama I do want to say this: give SONY a chance to prove himself before passing him off. I have faith in you pal. :)

Well, I personally like you Sony, although your recent trolling of GP32X and extreme fanboyism did annoy me a bit(not to mention that anti-U.S. comment). I'm very glad to see you won't be editing/deleting any of your old posts, that's just like lying to any new members and is flat out wrong imo. The argument that you becoming a mod will make you straighten up and fly right is a little naive though. Sony, you were a mod at another site not too long ago were you not? Did this change your over-all forum behavior at all? No, so I don't see why a modship here would be any different but hopefully you'll prove me wrong!

On the other hand, back on GP32X I didn't have any problems with at all with you. It's just the behavior recently that I object to. If you can bring the maturity level up a bit then I support you.

In the end, are you the best most logical choice for a mod? Of course not, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt SO DON'T FUCK UP!!!

i miss SONY as a member, BlueProtoman, you better step up and take your old place again before someone does something stupid and give RedBaron( R.B, E.B ) the chance to speak here again

I don't post anything that's NSFW.

I don't post anything that's NSFW.
not, but at one point, you provided a certain energy about this board that SONY has taken over big time, especially in last 2 days

Perhaps I'll go back to posting threads that break the rules. That is, if we had any official ones.

Perhaps I'll go back to posting threads that break the rules. That is, if we had any official ones.

That's a decent point, I don't recall noticing an official rule-page of sorts here. It would be nice if there were one somewhere pinned up. Maybe one could be drafted up with input from everyone?

I've nothing against Sony personally but making a fanboy a mod when there are more level headed and non-biased people who have already proven themselves over the years (on this forum and gp32x.de) is just plain daft. I can't see the reasoning behind it at all :huh:

It depends. Moderators can have different jobs.

For example, move threads, remove insults, cut threads when they're going off-topic...

These jobs have nothing to do with whether you're biased or not.

Of course, insults should be insults, not just criticism.

Last edited:
I can't see that being pro-Pandora is a problem on the official company Pandora boards :p

If this were GP32X, my opinion would be different, but it's not.

If ED is willing to give SONY a chance, then I am too. And of course, Prometheus gets my support as moderator, as on GP32X.

Wow! just cancelled my pre-orded due to financial circunstances with great regret, but I am still lurking here from time to time. I have to say, that since pandora-forum-schizma, the situation here is exactly like it was predicted - if i didn't cancel my pre - order , the situation of making this sony guy a mod would felt like a slap on my face community wise - it means that I would feel like I am taking part in something that I don't want to be associated with, regardless of how awesome pandora is. Now i feel that I made just right decision, congrats Craig!

*sigh* Well peeps... The Pandora is obviously still going through birth pains.

I for one am going to stick through it and provide what support I can. We could all do with a little more tolerance and patience.

In spite of the labor spasms this is still the greatest community I've ever been involved in.

Why are people taking this so personally that they want to sell their Pandoras and leave??? :blink:

Nobody is perfect - we all have unpleasant aspects. Everybody has *stuff*. When you love someone - you love them for all that they are, not just the good. *That's* when the relationship becomes meaningfull... That's when transformation and growth can happen.

This community is a collective being... We should treat it the same way we treat a loved family member that has a few issues. :)

For example, move threads, remove insults, cut threads when they're going off-topic...

These jobs have nothing to do with whether you're biased or not.
Of course they do.

If a mod is biased to one point of view and sees a thread going against that point of view he can shut it down by claiming repetition or going too far off topic. It's not like that hasn't happened before.

QUESTION: When I'm doing right and trying to go straight, how can I prevent someone from digging up skeletons?
You can't. The web does not forget. Check out deja news on wikipedia, the usenet archive goes back to 1981. The only thing to prevent this digging is not writing.

If I were activly developing here I would hardly want my work to be brought into connection with this theater here.
And that's what i'm afraid of. I think it will be a very good idea if sony acts in the backend and let Prometheus do the public frontwork.

Can you not change your username for your current account
I'm not sure? Great idea though. Admin rights are needed for that though.

Check this future scenario out...
Stop dreaming. And by the way, are you asking for admin rights? A new name could be a good start, but usually it will not help for long. That was proved before by horny2k and his new nick DerJochen.

but with the mod status it's my chance to shine
Nobody needs a mod status for that. That it's your "need" to shine is obviously visible for everybody. You're wearing borrowed plumes by calling yourself like "shiny" companies (see here). How about choosing your own nick?

*sigh* Well peeps... The Pandora is obviously still going through birth pains.

I for one am going to stick through it and provide what support I can. We could all do with a little more tolerance and patience.

In spite of the labor spasms this is still the greatest community I've ever been involved in.

Why are people taking this so personally that they want to sell their Pandoras and leave??? :blink:
Because OpenPandora Ltd., more pricesly Craig, is behaving intolerant. His statement not to support the community repo specs is the same direction as choosing a moderator the community does not respect. That wasn't a stupid move, look what we are talking about. We are discussing sonys capability of being a mod instead of OpenPandoras competence in buisness relating decisions.

I do take it personally, not for leaving but for staying, supporting the one of the team who does care of the open source spirit of working together and sharing the progress to build up something big done by the work of many. I'm not canceling my preorder because i still want to support ED (and like to have my pandora of course). If i did my preorder with craig, i'm sure i would cancel now, because i don't want to support a company that does what she likes, if i would i became a sony customer having my hardware locked after buying. I don't like to support a company that let have their customers having "fun" at the hotline (forum) or is telling me not to take its helpers that serious. Sorry - it's not ranting, you ask for personal reasons, these are mine.

The perceived harm of SONY moderating is way bigger than the actual harm he does as a moderator. SONY is a pretty cool guy and I'm convinced he has no malicious intentions at all (neither now nor in the past).

However, he has a style of posting that is not well received by many community members and as such he is unavoidably one of the more controversial characters in the community. The outcry we now see against SONY becoming a moderator is both unrelated to his actual actions as a moderator as well as fully predictable. Craig cannot claim that he didn't see this coming and he deserves blame for such poor decision making.

While I do think that SONY was a poor candidate to appoint as mod (just for the sole reason that many people will have trouble accepting him in that role), SONY is not to be blamed for this and deserves a chance (so far, I see no actual problems).

I'm more worried about the fact that it feels like Craig is getting more and more out of touch with the community. I don't want to criticize him all the time, but his recent actions are hard to ignore.

Because OpenPandora Ltd., more pricesly Craig, is behaving intolerant. His statement not to support the community repo specs is the same direction as choosing a moderator the community does not respect.

I'm more worried about the fact that it feels like Craig is getting more and more out of touch with the community. I don't want to criticize him all the time, but his recent actions are hard to ignore.

I haven't been here all that long, about 6 months. But I have definitely noticed a lot of underlying tension between Craig and a significant portion of who I regard as the unofficial leaders of the community.

I don't know very much about what went down at the GP32X forums - except that it involved some heated disagreements, that Craig was involved somehow, and that these forums were created as a result of it.

Obviously there are some issues that never reached a satisfactory resolution.

We can't go through our lives with buried *stuff* - it will affect the relationship we have with everyone we engage with. I know because I've carried a huge amount with me. It's very damaging. The only solution is to face those issues and find resolution.

You can't be on the defensive or the offensive when you do this. It means swallowing pride and saying "This is how I contributed to the problem. I own my part in it."

Communication and honesty are key.

But the first step is to identify the real issue - the source of the problem. Can this be done without pointing fingers? Without laying all the blame on the other party?

I don't know - you tell me. I wasn't around when it started.

But it's obvious that SONY and the community Repo specs aren't the real issue here.

Because OpenPandora Ltd., more pricesly Craig, is behaving intolerant. His statement not to support the community repo specs is the same direction as choosing a moderator the community does not respect. That wasn't a stupid move, look what we are talking about. We are discussing sonys capability of being a mod instead of OpenPandoras competence in buisness relating decisions.

I do take it personally, not for leaving but for staying, supporting the one of the team who does care of the open source spirit of working together and sharing the progress to build up something big done by the work of many. I'm not canceling my preorder because i still want to support ED (and like to have my pandora of course). If i did my preorder with craig, i'm sure i would cancel now, because i don't want to support a company that does what she likes, if i would i became a sony customer having my hardware locked after buying. I don't like to support a company that let have their customers having "fun" at the hotline (forum) or is telling me not to take its helpers that serious. Sorry - it's not ranting, you ask for personal reasons, these are mine.

I am confused, how is Craig being intolerant? This is the world of Open Source, if he has a vision for a better way of doing it, he is more than welcome to. Yes, community involvement and working together can build some nice software, but so can competition. He has a lot invested in the Pandoras, he has a right to go his own way.

And from an outside observer reading many of the community repo specs boards, Craig posts something and then gets attacked by many members because he has a different view and thus 'hates the community'? When you attack anyone for posted his/her ideas on how it could be done, all you do is discourage their involvement and that's not good for anyone; be it the community, OpenPandora, or end users. Those threads get pretty heated; frankly I don't post on those because they're so hostile.

@FaeMinx

You speak words of wisdom, I'll try to take them to heart as best as I can. As for the break between Craig and GP32x, it has seen lengthy discussion and can be found on the GP32x boards (and partially here) so I'll not reiterate it once more.

I am confused, how is Craig being intolerant? This is the world of Open Source, if he has a vision for a better way of doing it, he is more than welcome to. Yes, community involvement and working together can build some nice software, but so can competition. He has a lot invested in the Pandoras, he has a right to go his own way.

And from an outside observer reading many of the community repo specs boards, Craig posts something and then gets attacked by many members because he has a different view and thus 'hates the community'? When you attack anyone for posted his/her ideas on how it could be done, all you do is discourage their involvement and that's not good for anyone; be it the community, OpenPandora, or end users. Those threads get pretty heated; frankly I don't post on those because they're so hostile.
My personal annoyance with Craig in the Pandora usability discussion was his unwillingness to actively participate in communication. If Craig didn't want collaboration but merely competition then I fail to understand the need to start a discussion about it. His first post in said thread sounded like he wanted all of us to change course, so naturally we try to discuss.

He merely postulated that he had an idea and discredits all the work the community has done towards the same goal so far. During this he avoided discussion and refused to present arguments when challenged. He vaguely mentions having his own spec, but when asked to share it he goes silent. He states as fact that solutions are overly complex but ignores specific use cases that are addressed by that very complexity. This is not a productive way to discuss development.

I have the utmost respect for all that Craig has done within and for this community. He was the initiator of a gadget which I use every day of the week, without exception. I would very much like to hear his vision and help him realize it where I can. But unfortunately such requests seem to fall on deaf ears, which saddens me greatly.

Back