Moderating: SONY Vs SONY

Can you not change your username for your current account to say SONY_OLD and have a nice shiney new SONY account so people know you have changed
I'm not sure? Great idea though. Admin rights are needed for that though.

@ Scntrblob

Check this future scenario out...

I've been mod here for 3 years without a hitch (without trolling, spamming, etc.) and help others out and sensibly moderate like as a mod would do.

What would you say to me then? Why the hate? I never want to intentionally hurt anyone on or offline.

How will you EVER know if you don't even give me this chance? The answer is...

You will never know.

Why should he have changed??? He is still the same person, a name or status doesn't change him from one second to another.

IF he wants to change he has to prove it FIRST and then he can get mod. NOT the other way round.

I agree, but sometimes pushing people into a role with more responsibility in which they never really would have imagined getting is a very good way to make an "enemy" a "friend" (exaggeration).

SONY has already shown that he is willing to change, which is a good thing, we need someone who is always around and helps solve tricky situations. Would that person not be better having around than somebody who is always around but also acting like a child?

@SONY: As I said before, you have the power to change and be a good mod.

But be subtle and responsible with your new rights, big "I am gonna change everything" actions like this never made a good mod.

Let's assume someone does dig out your old posts, then what? They will try to deface OP for it? Tough luck, you are just a member of this community, not OP. Also those posts will be old by then and you can always go and say, "well nice thing you found there, but have you looked at the date and have you looked at the 5000 posts I made after that?"

We all have our up and downs, everyone is a dick sometimes, I bet you can find a post by me which makes me look like an ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
SONY, I have to agree with what most people have said here.

The posts you have made in the past have been made. Either stand for what you said or retract your statements, but you should not erase them.

It will disturb the flow of many threads. Such a rewriting of history will reflect poorly upon you and will be viewed as an attempt to hide your mistakes.

We all make mistakes, that's not a problem. It's how you deal with them that matters.

Why should he have changed??? He is still the same person, a name or status doesn't change him from one second to another.

IF he wants to change he has to prove it FIRST and then he can get mod. NOT the other way round.

I agree, but sometimes pushing people into a role with more responsibility in which they never really would have imagined getting is a very good way to make an "enemy" a "friend" (exaggeration).

SONY has already shown that he is willing to change, which is a good thing, we need someone who is always around and helps solve tricky situations. Would that person not be better having around than somebody who is always around but also acting like a child?

@SONY: As I said before, you have the power to change and be a good mod.

But be subtle and responsible with your new rights, big "I am gonna change everything" actions like this never made a good mod.

Let's assume someone does dig out your old posts, then what? They will try to deface OP for it? Tough luck, you are just a member of this community, not OP. Also those posts will be old by then and you can always go and say, "well nice thing you found there, but have you looked at the date and have you looked at the 5000 posts I made after that?"

We all have our up and downs, everyone is a dick sometimes, I bet you can find a post by me which makes me look like an ass.

Hi

Yup, have to agree with this, I did that very thing recently with one of my posts, I now have a bad name with a few people who see me as something I am not, but nothing I can do now, it is out there and I have to try and move one, as I am going to try and do over this sony thing.

QUESTION: When I'm doing right and trying to go straight, how can I prevent someone from digging up skeletons?

There's no need to.

There are a LOT of people who have done things in the past they don't like.

The right thing is to ACCEPT them and make sure you don't repeat them.

You don't judge people with what they did in the past if they are doing a good job today.

What reason should Engagdet or anyone else dig out your old posts for?

And IF they do, the only things they will see is:

Wow, that guy was crazy, but he turned out to be a very helpful mod now.

So stand up to what you've done and make sure you will do better in the future!

Thanks for the advice all. I've read every single post in this thread as well as the other couple of threads.

I've taken it all in and will NOT be touching any old posts of mine, let alone other peoples' posts.

Now, I want to be given a chance to prove myself...even for 1 day I'd be most appreciative of the chance given, so please I'd like to somehow go to a brand new page in this chapter of ours...a clean slate.

3. I'm doing it for the BRAND NEW public eye, as I don't want my PAST to ruin Pandora's FUTURE.
Source: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/3905-so-sony-is-a-mod-now/page__view__findpost__p__68517

Your past has happened. Normally, there's nothing you can do about it. Now, there's nothing you /should/ do about it. Especially not since you say that you would edit other people's posts for a non-very-good-reason, which is a NO-GO. The only way that you can handle your past so that you can make use of it is to learn from it instead of trying to change it. Similar to the way that it isn't really important if someone doesn't know something because it's much more important if he/she is willing to learn, that you did things which weren't appropriate isn't really important. No one is born with perfect knowledge. What's important is the ability to reflect the own behavior and learn from any mistakes that were made - which is the only thing that can ultimately rule out any given inappropriate behavior.

Also, be aware that in the end it is not your "fault" that you became a moderator even though some of your old posts are inappropriate. While this is not a justification for inappropriateness, it means that some people will be angry with /you/ even though it was Craig's decision, not yours, and you should be (and, more importantly, remain) aware of that (which you obviously are).

* Only if the thread is out of context or doesn't really make sense after editing, but if a thread is a lost cause (thankfully, I recall only ONLY ONE THREAD being so), then I will have no choice but to remove it from public view.
Sure you have a choice: Just leave it there. As long as you feel that you have to change your past, you have not changed into the right mindset yet.

Because again, removing the thread would be a NO-GO. (Leaving it there is the lesser of the two evils, if you will, but again, these posts are only there because you decided to publish them - learn from it, I'm sure you're able to.)

While I don't agree with the decision, yet another case of Craig making a decision without considering the consequences, there are far worse ways this could have played out. SONY is not intentionally a bad person, he just gets a little overzealous sometimes and forgets where he is. I have full confidence that if he can remember his place (and the big "Staff" icon under his name will surely help) he can eventually be a great mod.

What's done is done, let's see how it plays out, shall we, without unnecessarily adding to the drama? Please?

I find this whole thing a bit entertaining, given the past and what not.

Ive always thought that moderators should be chosen from those in the community that regularly visit, can respond and help other users in a respectable manner, can deal with abusers in a respectable manner. I also thought mod's were chosen based on past behavior and reputation.

This decision seems totally random and about the only qualification Sony has is that he is regularly visitor to the forums. Past behavior has been about the worst of anyone that comes here, in some forums it might result in a banning. How can you justify making someone the moderator when they were the ones being moderated?

Even Sony's plan to edit the past proves he himself knows the way he operated was not justifiable for getting these privileges.

Sony why did it take becoming a mod for you to realize the low quality of your past posts? Do you plan to change your behavior here and on other forums even if you dont have moderator status?

Sony why did it take becoming a mod for you to realize the low quality of your past posts? Do you plan to change your behavior here and on other forums even if you dont have moderator status?
Someone like me (everyone is individual in their ways), with authority comes great responsibility and I'm the type of person who if given a job to do I will certainly do it with the best of my abilities...and of course with utter respect to those around me or those I have to deal with.

I don't have a sense of direction as a 'member', but with the mod status it's my chance to shine, my chance to show everyone how awesome I can be/become when shown the way.

Moderator status has presented me with the helper badge driving on road to greatness and to prove to * the number 1 person that I am actually a good guy...* Myself.

Other forums? Sorry, I can't comment, as I no longer frequent (or a regular poster) other forums.

Someone like me (everyone is individual in their ways), with authority comes great responsibility and I'm the type of person who if given a job to do I will certainly do it with the best of my abilities...and of course with utter respect to those around me or those I have to deal with.

I don't have a sense of direction as a 'member', but with the mod status it's my chance to shine, my chance to show everyone how awesome I can be/become when shown the way.

Moderator status has presented me with the helper badge driving on road to greatness and to prove to * the number 1 person that I am actually a good guy...* Myself.

Other forums? Sorry, I can't comment, as I no longer frequent (or a regular poster) other forums.

well good luck and judgment, (and dont ban me :p )

also i didnt really just mean the "other forums" but any forum in general. You know if are you going to be the straight sony here now and the vuglar sony on another forum. My point is if this real change you know you need to make then it shouldnt just be here but anywhere you interact, maybe even in your real life. Otherwise its just an act, right?

Thank you SONY. Thank you for proving us right when we claimed you'd be an awful mod. Use your mod powers to make yourself look better..... Not cool.

While I don't agree with the decision, yet another case of Craig making a decision without considering the consequences, there are far worse ways this could have played out. SONY is not intentionally a bad person, he just gets a little overzealous sometimes and forgets where he is. I have full confidence that if he can remember his place (and the big "Staff" icon under his name will surely help) he can eventually be a great mod.

What's done is done, let's see how it plays out, shall we, without unnecessarily adding to the drama? Please?

I agree completely. Why all the drama? Nothing has even happened yet, nothing of consequence anyway. Everyone take a deep breath!

I'm surprised Sony get mod right here, but I'm pleased that there is at least someone doing the job.

Sony : I trust you to do the best you can do for this community ;)

[i don't have a sense of direction as a 'member', but with the mod status it's my chance to shine, my chance to show everyone how awesome I can be/become when shown the way.

For my 2pence a Mod doesn't/shouldn't do that much. The members make a board, Mods are just needed in case something gets out of hand (and for general housekeeping; pin/move/delete).

Might want to pull back on those reins.

I've nothing against Sony personally but making a fanboy a mod when there are more level headed and non-biased people who have already proven themselves over the years (on this forum and gp32x.de) is just plain daft. I can't see the reasoning behind it at all :huh:

Back