Release Minetest

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is a recent version of Minetest.

preview3.png

It has been requested to have a freshen build of Minetest. So here it is. I know there is another built, this one is not an update.

/!\ on CC model, it will not work with default driver, use lastest 4.04 for good result /!\

History log
=========

Build 05
------------

• Update to latest sources
  • Updated libs
  • Added "Voxel Legend" game
Build 04
------------

• Update to latest sources
Build 03
------------

• Compatible with Firmware SZ 1.62+
  • Added some new games mod (large size increase)
  • Tried to optimize a bit (let's hope I didn't broke anything)
Build 02
------------

• Used a newer Irrlicht build
  • Use glshim for rendering
  • Warning, on CC model, default driver crash, use 4.04.00.01 for better result
Build 01
------------

• Initial build
  • Adaptations for the Pandora (keymap, screen)
  • Using LevelDB (instead of sqlite)

Last edited:
Hrmff, and once again I'm tempted to spring out the soldering iron to fix my busted nubs.

Hi !

@ ptitSeb: thanks for porting Voxelands and Minetest to the Pandora :)

With some OC @ 850MHz the speed is okay-ish on my Rebirth unit, but both games suffer from the same issue: **huge clipping**

Is there anything you can do about that ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

I'm not sure I understand. I see in my screenshot the clipping is quite far. You don't have that? Is it the chuks taking time to load?

Sometimes I just seem to reach the edge of the world, starring at nothing but black void. Then, after quite some time, a huge chunk of landscape will pop up in front of me... Any idea where this issue could come from ? Cheers, Magic Sam

Sometimes I just seem to reach the edge of the world, starring at nothing but black void. Then, after quite some time, a huge chunk of landscape will pop up in front of me... Any idea where this issue could come from ? Cheers, Magic Sam
Lack of CPU power? 

@ ptitSeb: You're right. Notaz' Live System Info indicates Minetest uses 100% CPU resources, even with OC @ 850MHz...

Could this be improved ? Cheers, Magic Sam

p.s: I turned all the eye candie off, to no avail :(

Well, I think I have already activated all perf optims.

Here a screen shot of the PVRTune tool. You see that CPU is 100% and GPU is ... what, less than 20%.

And a sudo perf top also, where you can see, no clear function to work on...

minetest_perf_top.png

mintest_pvrtune.png

@ ptitSeb: I managed to lower the CPU load quite a lot with these options in minetest.conf:

wanted_fps = 5

fps_max = 10

viewing_range_nodes_max = 40

viewing_range_nodes_min = 8

enable_fog = true

new_style_water = false

enable_clouds = false

menu_clouds = false

enable_sound = false

Yet, the clipping issue is still there :(

EDIT: some more interesting options:

fullscreen_bpp = 8

show_debug = on

directional_colored_fog = false

chunksize = 1

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from the artifacts, it is playable on a 1Gh.

Hi :)

I overclocked my Rebirth unit to 1GHz/OPP5, but the clipping effect is unfortunately still there...

Question: would the perlin noise algorithm be worth optimizing ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

I overclocked my Rebirth unit to 1GHz/OPP5, but the clipping effect is unfortunately still there...

Cheers, Magic Sam
Because it's one of the top function in the perf top?

I haven't looked at the function, so I don't know if it could be easy or not.  I may try a bit later.

Cheers, Magic Sam
The ciipping is part of the game. It constructs areas progressively, especially in the beginning. nothing unusual there.

By the way PtitSeb this PND deserves better screenshots :)

Cheers, Magic Sam
The ciipping is part of the game. It constructs areas progressively, especially in the beginning. nothing unusual there.

By the way PtitSeb this PND deserves better screenshots :)
I agree about the screenshots, but I suck at this kind of game, as you can see :(

But if someone as nice one, I'll change them :)

@ekianjo: I played Minetest before, and the clipping effect was not **THAT** strong ;)

@ptitSeb: according to Wikipedia, perlin noise can be quite demanding sometimes. There's another, simpler noise algorithm, Simplex noise, but that one is patented though...

p.s: Craft seems to be using Simplex noise, maybe you could borrow some code from it.

Cheers, Magic Sam

Back