Release Preliminary Minetest pnd

eyecreate

Website
git.eyecreate.org
With some help from sebt3 on using his Irrlicht, I've gotten a preliminary build of Minetest-c55 built for the pandora. It works surprisingly well without overclocking or using low-end settings for minetest. I've done a few modifications in multiple places. First, I added support in minetest for using the opengl-es driver in Irrlicht. I also started working on mapping the keys nicely to the Pandora ones.(still need to figure out how to get it to use the analogue sticks as sticks and not a mouse. This might wait til next release when minetest is supposed to have easier to config key support.)

D-pad moves around

Analogue sticks still work like mouse for looking and mineing

A button jumps

I opens up crafting/inventory

There are still a few issues I'd have to find, like the client stopping responding every once in awhile along with graphical glitches for held items.

http://www.mediafire.com/?w84fr540bkfibxq

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=minetest-minetest-16537

Will have on repo when working well enough™.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't you put it onto the repo anyway?

Just use the <version type="alpha"/> attribute in your PXML to make clear that it doesn't run well.

Thats Really cool, but sometimes i start a "Survival" Mode game, i ditnt get some texture, but it works and whe have a bit minecraft feeling, meybe if the mousebuttons are on b and x, and the mouse on the right nub, the game would bee a little bit more playable.. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I googled preliminary, and i found "vorläufig" which means: The game is on a early status, ok...

I ditnt thingk this is minecraft, which minecraft clone is this game?,

A promising start! Needs to be full-screen, though. That shouldn't be too hard, right?

As for using the nubs, including the scripts in this thread in the PND will probably help you.

And, finally, the game window flickers. A lot. It flickers between the desktop and the window, then after a while I get an error message;

Code:
Connection error (timed out?)

A local server (aka single-player) game, by the way.

Matzesu: The name of the game is "Minetest". That's it.

Okay, so I've made a few quick changes.

First, I used the highly useful scripts from Blue Protoman to switch the nubs during play. From the bit I tested, this improves controls a lot.

Also, I hard set it to fullscreen(don't think anyone will be upset) as it's only changeable in code in the current version of minetest.

Also, Blue Protoman, I'm not sure what kinds of flickering you are getting, but I'm only getting my mouse flickering(not the whole game). From what I remember, this is possibly due to Irrlicht and the Xcursor lib. I'd have to look into compiling Irrlicht myself to fix that. Also, the connection error is usually when the server backend is being bogged down by a task. I've found it to do this more when first starting, which is when the server generates the world.

I've marked the version as alpha now(didn't know that about the PXML) and have it now at the repos here:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=minetest-minetest-16537

In order to see some of the fixes/changes, you will need to delete you minetest appdata folder so it can be recreated with newer config file.

Quite simply, the window itself flashes. One second I see the game. The next I see my desktop. Ad infinitum. Then it crashes. Perhaps I can remedy this with a premade map?

Tested on my unit with fully up-dated firmware:

Framerate is very variable - from about 25fps (at 500MHz) down to 1 or 2 fps, doesn't seem to bear any relationship to what's on-screen. Mouse pointer flickers on and off like mad. Keeps disconnecting (reporting that the server has disconnected) whenever I walk to a new chunk. Prior to this message, the game hangs for about 3 minutes with the SD activity light permanently on. When I finally get to re-start a new single-player game, the new chunk is available to walk around on, until I move into another new chunk, where it repeats again. Ad infinitum.

Less drastically, can we have an option to reverse the mouse Y axis? It's really annoying having "up" as "look up". Also, the scaling of the main menu screen is horrible.

Other than that, it's coming along nicely - might even be a contender for a minecraft replacement!

D.

And then try if the fps in noiz2sa is better ;)

Didn't realise that this might have an impact on running software, I'll have to try this out later and see what difference it makes!

Update:, didn't seem to make much of a difference for noiz2sa anyway, never even tried Minecraft or Minetest before this, so I'm at a bit of a loss on how well they should run (or indeed what to do in particular, but I'll give it a go!)

Updated minetest on the repo. Changes are mostly just updating minetest to latest version. This means controls are configurable(mostly) in your minetest.conf file. You can use that to do things like invert the mouse too. Hopefully, some bugs are fixed, but most the big ones(I think related to my port) are still there.(I still sometimes get crazy worlds generated I have to delete) You will have to delete your old appdata folder for this update.

Will hopefully, now that minetest update with controls is out, I can try to fix some of the glaring issues with minetest/irrlicht.(to the best of my bug hunting ability)

Updated minetest on the repo. Changes are mostly just updating minetest to latest version. This means controls are configurable(mostly) in your minetest.conf file. You can use that to do things like invert the mouse too. Hopefully, some bugs are fixed, but most the big ones(I think related to my port) are still there.(I still sometimes get crazy worlds generated I have to delete) You will have to delete your old appdata folder for this update.

Will hopefully, now that minetest update with controls is out, I can try to fix some of the glaring issues with minetest/irrlicht.(to the best of my bug hunting ability)

Excellent, will test this tonight. One other thing - although the initial world takes only a meg or so (3.5 in my case), it takes up over 100MB on the SD card due to cluster sizes (3,500 files). Any way you can sort that out? It's going to run out of space a lot faster than minecraft would have done.

D.

Excellent, will test this tonight. One other thing - although the initial world takes only a meg or so (3.5 in my case), it takes up over 100MB on the SD card due to cluster sizes (3,500 files). Any way you can sort that out? It's going to run out of space a lot faster than minecraft would have done.

D.
I don't think there's anything I can do without rewriting minetest to save the world differently or a different filesystem, but that doesn't mean there isn't a solution I don't know about.

Game doesn't run. I click Start Game (at the main menu), then get dumped back to the desktop.

I don't think there's anything I can do without rewriting minetest to save the world differently or a different filesystem, but that doesn't mean there isn't a solution I don't know about.

Might be an idea to look into the sorts of virtual filesystems the PND format folks are using - an non-compressed format which stores your chunks in a linear format might be quite a good idea, and save on SD space. We've probably already got the tools installed on the Pandora as part of the OS :)

D.

Back