Meet me at the FOSDEM 2012! (2012-01-07)

yea, thats how much of the world does it. that was a very american comment of you to make :|
Other way around. ;)

YYYY-MM-DD is how most of the world does it. YYYY-DD-MM is how ED originally posted this which is different from how every other news item he's posted has been (all of which (including this one, now that it's been corrected) have been YYYY-MM-DD).

That's why fredg999 pointed it out, I suspect, because it was very different from standards, both international and local.

*coughs*

That thread is about FOSDEM, right? I think the topic has been discussed well enough.

Yet there is not much to say about FOSDEM...

Those not only interested in the pandora but also in other open source gaming development related topics can now check the schedule for this devroom. Each talk also features a (short) summary what it will be about as well as a speaker bio so that you get some idea why the speaker might have a good understanding of the topic.

http://fosdem.org/2012/schedule/track/open_source_game_development_devroom

Please be aware that the capacity of the room is very limited (only 74 seats!) and there might be no video recordings, since (so far) no equipment for those is available.

I'm planning to attend, too!

I hope that it won't be to full in there. I never attended to FOSDEM before, I just heared about it for the first time in this thread.

Thanks for that schedule Ivanovic!

These talks look really interesting. Aside from seeing the Pandora I'm especially looking forward to Xonotic and Component-Based Entities.

I've skimmed through the events that will be held during the week-end and several of them seem interesting. So sad I can't be there! I've found a few ones that could be of interest concerning the Pandora:

Linux (SoC) power management (battery life, charging and power modes) --> 13:00 — 14:00

A real Skype alternative using standards compliant FLOSS (requests for Skype on the Pandora) --> 14:05 — 14:45

OpenJDK on ARM: Quo vadis? (better support for Java on the Pandora (also posted in the Java PND thread)) --> 12:30 — 13:30 (overlaps Pandora talk! :( )

There are probably others I haven't noticed, they're all on the website anyway, I just wanted to point these ones out.

Oooooh, just found out it's free!!! That changes things! (not being Dutch, just almost broke ;) )

I read the original post too quickly apparently.

With Brussels only 2 hours by train from here, and fosdem in one of my free weekends, i might be able to attend as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for the presentation. Nice to have finally played with the pandora myself. The GTA04 (with openmoko project) was at the same stand, that was also nice. Funny thing is that the openmoko was being charged by the pandora because the pandora has a good battery.

Thanks again for the presentation. Nice to have finally played with the pandora myself. The GTA04 (with openmoko project) was at the same stand, that was also nice. Funny thing is that the openmoko was being charged by the pandora because the pandora has a good battery.
Yeah, here at fosdem I also used the pandora to attach my external (port powered) usb2.0 harddrive to show some fellow wesnoth devs a video. Had to do this because someone else was not able to get his xubuntu to play the video (plain xvid with mp3 video). Yeah, there are some lovely usecases for the pandora with its strong battery.

In general the games development devroom was a huge success. Most talks were full, several were "more than full" and eg in EDs talk I had to decline people the access because it really was "by far too full" already. So far it is really a great thing, currently the last talk is taking place (about HTML5 and JavaScript for gaming) and the dev room is still full, even though many people already had to leave to catch their train/plane home.

Well, Link took video of ED's whole talk, but he's on the road today. I got a photo with ED before they left; if I can figure out how to post it maybe I'll put it here :D

Pics:

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/6237/20120205fosdempandora.jpg

(as 'newbie' status user I can only upload 1 link to a image...)

Other image: img28.imageshack.us/img28/8940/20120205fosdempandora2.jpg

When the presentation started some asked to close the open windows, as it was really cold outside.

"EvilDragon" commented with: "no windows allowed".

Last edited by a moderator:
And, finally, back home, after a long trip :)

Got link with me here as he's going to help assemble Pandoras within the next weeks :)

He'll also ship the US Pandoras to save you some shipping costs :D

Well, Link took video of ED's whole talk, but he's on the road today. I got a photo with ED before they left; if I can figure out how to post it maybe I'll put it here :D
Only got 8 minutes of video, not sure why or how. Quality isn't that good either, and my audio recorder didn't work out well either. None of this was as bad as wiping out trying to get on the train. Not my weekend for trains or archival.

FOSDEM was great! I would certainly go back, minus the cold.

Back