Release MAME EX - Final Release

@milkshake: someone could rewrite the opengl-part of sdlmame and replace it with opengles-code, but that's quite some effort AFAIK.

@milkshake: someone could rewrite the opengl-part of sdlmame and replace it with opengles-code, but that's quite some effort AFAIK.

If somebody do this , i'll release The Citadel [FPP Remake from Amiga 500/1200 days..]

if youre not gonna throw this on the repo, maybe add an update button to the menu, or even a check for updates button so people dont bother you with old bugs

i tried ghouls n ghosts , sound effects seem to be doubled somehow (like an echo), what settings am i supposed to pick for best performance? Old Games, New Games 1 or 2?

Thankss for a lot for this early Christmas pressssie StreaK :) Will give us all something to mess about with.

Certain games you can get running full speed by pressing Shift and T, to

throttle the emulator, and then Shift and D or Shift and I to manually adjust frameskip amount :)

also, press Space then Enter (for Input -general), Enter again for User Interface, and go down ad change Show FPS to F or something by pressing Enter then your chosen key.

Escape to go back through menus

Street Figher Alpha 2: at 1033 MHz :-

75 - 85 percent on menu with demos etc

16 to 17 fps

but if you press Shift and T to throttle

120 - 135 percent on menu with demo's including demo fights

24 to 30 fps

In game, if you change frame skip to7 you get

97 to 104 percent with 25 fps.

Star Wars Arcade ingame gets about

75 percent unthrottled at 8fps

87 to 95 percent at 9 fps when you throttle.

in menu

80 at fps

or unthrottled 122 at 12fps.

WEC Le Mans 24

82 at 16 fps or

112 at 22 fps when you throttle

edit, sorry forgot put Wing War here:-

80 percent at 8fps

or 90 at 9fps unthrottled

other bits

at 70 at 7fps

or 82 at 8 fps

and some less busy scenes at or over full speed with 11 fps

so could it just be the frameskip code needs tweaking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this, StreaK!

I haven't had time to try it out yet, but I'm looking forward to being able to do so. :D

They could document the hardware for posterity by simply releasing a shitload of PDF files. There have been all sorts of arguments about how you can use MAME as a reference for fixing real arcade boards, but that's bollocks - I've never fixed any of my Speccies by firing up ZXSpin and seeing where they differ...

D.
I've seen folks use MAME as a reference for PCB repairs, before, myself, so that definitely is true. :p

Myself, I've previously found it a terribly useful resource for boards I've gotten without English-language DIP-switch sheets. (My Japanese was not very good at the time. It's still not, but it's good enough to read these things from the board documentation now, or from the settings screens where CPS2 boards are concerned. :lol: ) It's still handy for when I get boards that don't have any documentation included, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
i tried ghouls n ghosts , sound effects seem to be doubled somehow (like an echo), what settings am i supposed to pick for best performance? Old Games, New Games 1 or 2?

Thankss for a lot for this early Christmas pressssie StreaK :) Will give us all something to mess about with.

Certain games you can get running full speed by pressing Shift and T, to

throttle the emulator, and then Shift and D or Shift and I to manually adjust frameskip amount :)

also, press Space then Enter (for Input -general), Enter again for User Interface, and go down ad change Show FPS to F or something by pressing Enter then your chosen key.

Escape to go back through menus

Street Figher Alpha 2: at 1033 MHz :-

75 - 85 percent on menu with demos etc

16 to 17 fps

but if you press Shift and T to throttle

120 - 135 percent on menu with demo's including demo fights

24 to 30 fps

In game, if you change frame skip to7 you get

97 to 104 percent with 25 fps.

Star Wars Arcade ingame gets about

75 percent unthrottled at 8fps

87 to 95 percent at 9 fps when you throttle.

in menu

80 at fps

or unthrottled 122 at 12fps.

WEC Le Mans 24

82 at 16 fps or

112 at 22 fps when you throttle

edit, sorry forgot put Wing War here:-

80 percent at 8fps

or 90 at 9fps unthrottled

other bits

at 70 at 7fps

or 82 at 8 fps

and some less busy scenes at or over full speed with 11 fps

This is what i call good crash-testing. Thanks HuckFinn

i'll make some tests with notaz SDL libs in this week on MAME EX. I already added 'em to DosBox EX and performance boost isnt big but it is visible (for example in Adventures of ROBBO []http://www.classicdo..._of_Robbo.html] ) Screen scrolling is smoother on notaz SDL libs.

Well, it depends. notaz SDL libs can improve the speed a lot if you're scaling.

I guess DosBox EX runs in 640x480?

Then no hardware scaling is needed, so the speed improvement isn't that big.

If you're doing hardware scaling with MAME (I guess quite a lot of games do that), then the improvement can be quite high.

EvilDragon is right.

If you disable pixelboubling and let it render at native 320x240 or whatever the game has to offer and scale up with notaz sdl, it will be faster, but if you have a game, that natively renders to 640x480, there will be no speed gain.

Anyone know why the scan for roms Y button doesn't work for me.. in fact the only one that does is the quit command, i have to manually delete all the appdata info every time i add new roms..?

EvilDragon is right.

If you disable pixelboubling and let it render at native 320x240 or whatever the game has to offer and scale up with notaz sdl, it will be faster, but if you have a game, that natively renders to 640x480, there will be no speed gain.
That sounds awesome. I would fore sure like to see this added in, as many of the games I have tried could use a boost if possible.

Chris

getting error with sdlmame:

Code:
omapsdl: opened tslib touchscreen

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "gpio-keys" with 30 events (type 00100023)

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "keypad" with 84 events (type 00100013)

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "nub0" with 3 events (type 00000007)

omapsdl: in_evdev: found "nub1" with 3 events (type 00000007)

omapsdl: skip /dev/input/event5 as ts

omapsdl: found 5 evdev device(s).

omapsdl: detected 800x480 'lcd' (0) screen attached to fb 1 and overlay 1

switching to 800x480@32

/dev/fb1: 800x480@32

fbdev initialized.

xenv: X vendor: The X.Org Foundation, rel: 10704000, display: :0.0, protocol ver: 11.0

xenv: display is 800x480

Could not initialize SDL: No available video device.

config is:

Code:
export HOME="$PWD"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/mnt/utmp/mame-ex-app/lib"

export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=omapdss

#export SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE=fullscreen

#export SDL_OMAP_DEFAULT_MODE=640x480

#export SDL_OMAP_BORDER_CUT=0,0,15,15

it is strange because ti works with my wrapper written in sdl and with dosbox as well

it is strange because ti works with my wrapper written in sdl and with dosbox as well

Do you maybe need to configure the omapfb? For example in panplayer, there are the following lines found, when enabling and disabling it:

enabling:

Code:
ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -mem 2764800

disabling:

Code:
ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -mem 0 -en 0

Do you maybe need to configure the omapfb? For example in panplayer, there are the following lines found, when enabling and disabling it:

enabling:

Code:
ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -mem 2764800

disabling:

Code:
ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -mem 0 -en 0

via bash , yes?

I have tried reflashing, replacing the .pnd, and I have ROMs from the recommended. site; and still, the program will not register any ROMs as being available. Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Back