Release MAME EX - Final Release

hm,...when i run "Raiden" inserting a coin does not work.

Edit: Using the dibswitch-settings, I can select "freeplay", reset the game and then am able to start a game. But still sound is missing completely.

Edit2: It probably because Raiden is also a flawed rom, without a better version being available according to "sdlmame -verifyroms".

Last edited by a moderator:
they didnt screw it up, they just changed their prioritys :p

The difference being they now want to emulate the arcade hardware accuratly for preservation purposes rather than using hacks to speed things up like in older builds of mame.

They could document the hardware for posterity by simply releasing a shitload of PDF files. There have been all sorts of arguments about how you can use MAME as a reference for fixing real arcade boards, but that's bollocks - I've never fixed any of my Speccies by firing up ZXSpin and seeing where they differ...

D.

hm,...when i run "Raiden" inserting a coin does not work.

Edit: Using the dibswitch-settings, I can select "freeplay", reset the game and then am able to start a game. But still sound is missing completely.

Edit2: It probably because Raiden is also a flawed rom, without a better version being available according to "sdlmame -verifyroms".

I just tested some more. On my old Linux-pc the game "Raiden" place nicely with sdlmame. So for my understanding this can't be an issue of the rom. I wonder if they fixed this during the last updates. "sdlmame -help" on my PC shows:

Code:
sdlmame -help

M.A.M.E. v0.144 (Nov 20 2011) - Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator

whereas mame-ex on the Pandora shows:

Code:
./sdlmame -help

M.A.M.E. v0.110 (Jun 24 2010) - Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator

Or is this due to something else?

Just tried this again, and I'm afraid it's way too slow even for older games - Just tried R-Type Leo (it has no sound in Mame4All) and the sound is dreadful - like it's being played at 11KHz and with stuttering and skipping all the way through. It doesn't even recognise the Power Drift ROM from Mame 110 which I pulled off my main PC. Trying to play Enduro Racer is impossible also. This is with 800Mhz and 950MHz CPU speed.

That being said, I'll play some more but I don't hold out much hope that this will replace Mame4All. Is there any way to alter specific per-game configurations like Mame4All allows? I'd like to stretch to full screen but there doesn't appear to be any way to do it :(

It's a shame, because there's some games that Mame4All doesn't (and probably won't) support which this one does - but as it's built on a very, very bloated/sub-optimal MAME source even simple games from the early 80s skip sounds and jerk around all over the place :(

D.

Streak, may i ask you to bind ABXY functions also to abxy on the keyboard ?

I use game buttons for mouse, so no more page up, page down etc.

Seems i'm not the only one.

The MAME "docuemntation" and ROM "naming" controversies have been there since day one; before it was called MAME, we had shootouts over it, and Nicola went one way, everyoen else went another. But MAME was awesome, so it beat out of the rest of us. and so all these years later, still rediculous ROM naming drama and so on :) The "getting slower" could be argued as devs getting lazy (but it is a huge codebase and refactoring it every few versions does have to suck), but they're trying to keep the codebase a little simpler.. rather than have drivers for games where they support 16bit or 8bit rendering with some translation layer, or some various dirty-buffer speedups, they've just dropped all that and say 'hell with it', keep things simpler. Sort of a shame, but the hardware does getter better every year, so theres a case for it.

jeff

There is a way to stretch to fullscreen, see my earlier post, as you have to remap some keys in the <input general>,<user interface> area, so you can toggle aspect ratio and fullscreen stretch or such like. It doesn't save though, or continue if you switch game, so you have to do it for each title, even though its <general> and not <per game> settings you are changing.

edit: StreaK may know of the correct way to achieve fullscreen scaling, as that's just something I found whilst tinkering that seems to work.

new release:

Fixed Mouse Hide

Added few keys [see documentation]

Added info [about dir for ROMS] to startup script

Updated readme / documentation file

Quick Download: http://bit.ly/rqQdxz [yes the same url shorten link]

@Streak: Do you plan to change the pxml-subcategory to "Emulator"? If not, then i will explain how people can do that themself.

Well, just found the instructions here and noticed that it's unnecessary to write it all again. ;)

@Streak: Do you plan to change the pxml-subcategory to "Emulator"? If not, then i will explain how people can do that themself.

Well, just found the instructions here and noticed that it's unnecessary to write it all again. ;)

No worries i'll add that..

Great.

I have another question due to understanding:

I've been fiddling some more and noticed that when I run "./sdlmame" manually after mounting your pnd, and create a _sdlmame.ini, by default the software-video-render is enabled. This doesn't seem to be any slower than when starting mame-ex in the usual way. The software-video-render uses sdl, but i see no lib-folder in your pnd that provides something like the hardware-acclerated version of SDL.

So is there currently any hardware-acceleration at all? Don't get me wrong. I don't want to nag. I just try to understand what's going on and my insight into this technical coding-stuff isn't that deep.

CPS2 games are a bit slow (about 80% of Fullspeed), even 900mhz and the three configuration

Games testing: Progear no arashi

And the shortcut is in a wrong section, this place of Mame EX in a Emulator category ;)

Anyway great job;)

maybe notaz's improved SDL can help boot performance here especially when rendering to the screen?

theres no hw acceleration, and yes maybe notaz libs could improve stuff a bit.. but i think this will be slightly visible..

Streak, I think you did a outstanding job ............

Thanks again for all the time you put/putting into this

Back