Release: DosBox EX v4

Whats new:

- Added EX launcher

- Completely different way of scanning / loading games

- Zenity support completely dropped

- CD images supported

- Automount CD images if detected

- Small diff improvements

- Tweet to twitter about played game if wifi is enabled.. [ http://twitter.com/openpandoraplay ]

Code:
Adding new games to DosBox EX:

create "roms" directory in [sdcard]/pandora/appdata/dosbox-ex-ura/

put games in there

example:

/dosbox-ex-ura/roms

|--Larry.1.vga [dir]

|   	|-- rename executable files in dir [exe / com / bat] to 01.exe / 01.bat / 01.com

|

|--Civilisation [dir]

|   	|-- rename executable files in dir [exe / com / bat] to 01.exe / 01.bat / 01.com

|

|--Lotus.3 [dir]

to automount CD to drive to D: put iso file:

/dosbox-ex-ura/roms

|--Larry.1.vga

|   	|-- 01.iso

|

|-- Gabriel.Knight.CD

|   	|-- 01.iso

to go onto d drive you'll need to create d.bat with content "d:" [its a workaround for lack of ":" on pandora's keyboard..]

then just type in doxbox "d" to jump to drive d:

/dosbox-ex-ura/roms

|--Larry.1.vga

|   	|-- 01.iso

|   	|-- d.bat

|

|

|-- Gabriel.Knight.CD

|   	|-- 01.iso                

|   	|-- d.bat

|

Downloads: [as usual on FB Wall. Dont hate it.. love it :) ]

http://pnd.to/4floor

Last edited:
I literally have thousands of DOS game folders, I have to manually rename them? I also do not want to lose the original filenames of my collection. Do I need to duplicate my entire collection just to rename them?

Is there a workaround for the rename condumdrum?

If you want to preserve original filenames you can create 01.bat instead of renaming to 01.exe or 01.com with contents like

01.bat content:

Code:
lotus.com

or

01.bat content:

Code:
cd bin

larry6.exe

and so..

believe me, you will benefit from using dosbox v4 more than any other version of dxbx [imho]. No typing mayhem anymore everytime running a game..

Last edited:
I literally have thousands of DOS game folders, I have to manually rename them? I also do not want to lose the original filenames of my collection. Do I need to duplicate my entire collection just to rename them?

Is there a workaround for the rename condumdrum?

Rename only games that you want to play :) . btw. You'll only need to rename *.exec's and/or *.bat's, not directory names [it will be done by DosBox EX]

+ Twitter Posting added to DosBox EX v4 PND [if wifi is enabled].

Just Re-Download PND from my FB Page / re-run DosBox and Enable WIFI to enable twitter posting.

@streak

I know you think you are making it quicker this way but IMO having to rename files or create bat files is not exactly quicker, instead of putting the emphasis on the user to do all these things why not just allow the user to browse DIRs in your EX front-end which will show them the .exe or .bat files and then the user would just select it and then your EX front end would pass on the dos command to run it :) (just like how you automount and run ISO files already).

this and only this would make it quick and simple and allow file name preservation without creating additional files.

please consider this in your next upgrade to your EX frontend thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing release Streaks, my man! What version of DOSBox is this built on?

@streak

I know you think you are making it quicker this way but IMO having to rename files or create bat files is not exactly quicker, instead of putting the emphasis on the user to do all these things why not just allow the user to browse DIRs in your EX front-end which will show them the .exe or .bat files and then the user would just select it and then your EX front end would pass on the dos command to run it :) (just like how you automount and run ISO files already).

this and only this would make it quick and simple and allow file name preservation without creating additional files.

please consider this in your next upgrade to your EX frontend thanks :)

Yes, I totally agree, V4 is quite laborious...

I think a good idea is to let up explore into the game folder and choose the exe/bat/whatever.

I love your work with the Pandora, but I think I'll be sticking with v3 (which lets me choose exe's and no typing required) for now, v4 is much of a deal breaker ^_^

No problemo. I expect that some of you, might be liking v3 more. Thats why dosbox ex has only one digit version to easily trace older versions, and with every version there was radical changes in the way in games handling..

I have always been rubbish at DosBox, mainly I think because I have never really used DOS on a PC.

I really would like to have a go at running this on my Pandora.

I have found a Wiki DosBox Pandora site ( http://pandorawiki.org/DOSBox ), will give it try from there, is there

a real idiots guide for DosBox Pandora anywhere ? One last thing for now, where can I get version 3 ? According

to people in this thread it is the better version.

If never used dosbox i still think v4 will be better and easier, because apparently you dont have a huge games database, to edit [exe => 01.exe], just take a look on first post with easy how to...

example

1 Download Creative Commons version of Electro Man: http://www.classicdo...aosworks/em.zip

2 Extract it to [sdcard]/pandora/appdata/dosbox-ex-ura/roms/electro.man directory

3 Rename *.bat file to 01.bat [inside electroman directory]

4 Start DosBox EX v4

5 You're ready to go and play..

is it hard or easy.. you choose..

Last edited:
If never used dosbox i still think v4 will be better and easier, because apparently you dont have a huge games database, to edit [exe => 01.exe], just take a look on first post with easy how to...

example

1 Download Creative Commons version of Electro Man: http://www.classicdo...aosworks/em.zip

2 Extract it to [sdcard]/pandora/appdata/dosbox-ex-ura/roms/electro.man directory

3 Rename *.bat file to 01.bat [inside electroman directory]

4 Start DosBox EX v4

5 You're ready to go and play..

is it hard or easy.. you choose..

Thanks, I do actually have quite a big database of DOS games becuase I run Boxer which is a very user friendly frontend to DosBox.

Also incase anybody else wants to use that link above it does not work.

Great work Streak!

Is it possible to use the d-pad or nubs for mouse movement and face buttons for left and right click? I`ve tried running Police Quest 4 and they don`t work. The touchscreen is also out of sync on this game although i know this is the case on some games anyway

Thanks

Great work Streak!

Is it possible to use the d-pad or nubs for mouse movement and face buttons for left and right click? I`ve tried running Police Quest 4 and they don`t work. The touchscreen is also out of sync on this game although i know this is the case on some games anyway

Thanks

as far im concern.. no. It seems that Notaz SDL libs turning of nub-mouse while initiation of libs. {anyway.. i need to ask Notaz}

Is it possible to just start DOS in a directory that holds all you game dirs and type your way along with your version? At least on my PC I find this very easy and fast, especially since you can use <TAB> to complete file or directory names (just type "a" and press <TAB>, press <TAB> again for the second entry starting with "a" and so on).

Back