Release DosBox EX v4 - Release

all roms renamed .bat files?
I haven't tried this version of DOSBox, but I believe the method is this:

Your DOS game executables will be one of three file types; .exe, .com or .bat (or .iso for CD images). For this version of DOSBox to use them, they need to be renamed in a numerical format. The file name changes, but not the extension. So if the file you would normally run to start a game is for example alleycat.exe, you would put the game files in a folder called /alleycat and rename alleycat.exe to 01.exe

Likewise, if the file you need to run is sierra.com or start.bat, you would rename these to 01.com or 01.bat, respectively.

This is different from previous releases, the intention as far as I can see is to save time when running DOSBox - but it does require a bit of time investment to set up. You might prefer an earlier version - I think v3 uses the Zenity file picker so you don't need to rename everything.

Your DOS game executables will be one of three file types; .exe, .com or .bat (or .iso for CD images). For this version of DOSBox to use them, they need to be renamed in a numerical format. The file name changes, but not the extension. So if the file you would normally run to start a game is for example alleycat.exe, you would put the game files in a folder called /alleycat and rename alleycat.exe to 01.exe

Likewise, if the file you need to run is sierra.com or start.bat, you would rename these to 01.com or 01.bat, respectively.

This is different from previous releases, the intention as far as I can see is to save time when running DOSBox - but it does require a bit of time investment to set up. You might prefer an earlier version - I think v3 uses the Zenity file picker so you don't need to rename everything.
Thank you Sir.

@Streak I read that all in Dexter's voice.

My question is: does it run Skyr- Erm, does it run Arena?

I tried running Arena, it runs pretty slow, on a 900mhz overclock :/

Games from the 133mhz era are difficult to run, but it should run anything 486 and below.

To save all the messing with file names, where can I get v3 ?

I really like the way that version 4 of dosbox works with the list :)

but one thing i really miss from version 3 is mouse support cause I can't play the games that I played in version 3 anymore like Diggers.

I really like the way that version 4 of dosbox works with the list :)

but one thing i really miss from version 3 is mouse support cause I can't play the games that I played in version 3 anymore like Diggers.

This will be [i hope :) ] corrected in v5 or i'll return to dual dosbox exec like in v3

Last edited:
First time a newb like me has got DosBox running on my Pandora, so massive thanks! Couple games are missing sound for me, but I'm still trying to work a few things out so no major problems.

First time a newb like me has got DosBox running on my Pandora, so massive thanks! Couple games are missing sound for me, but I'm still trying to work a few things out so no major problems.

I am also a complete noob with DosBox on Pandora are you using v3 or v4 ?

V4 - I just open up my files and change the exe into 01.exe, and that gets them to load. The main issues I'm having at the moment is that some of the games ignores the controls once they load, so I cant actually get into the game itself. Ironically, the ones I *can* get into and load have other problems (Rise of the Dragon has no sound for example). But it's further than I've got with DosBox on Pandora before now, so 'slow and steady wins the race' I guess ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

V4 - I just open up my files and change the exe into 01.exe, and that gets them to load. The main issues I'm having at the moment is that some of the games ignores the controls once they load, so I cant actually get into the game itself. Ironically, the ones I *can* get into and load have other problems (Rise of the Dragon has no sound for example). But it's further than I've got with DosBox on Pandora before now, so 'slow and steady wins the race' I guess ;)

common exit/quit keys for almost every DOS game :

ALT + Q

ALT + X

ALT + C

CTRL + C

CTRL + X

CTRL +Q

SHIFT + ALT + Q

SHIFT + ALT + C

SHIFT + ALT + X

SHIFT + CTRL + Q

SHIFT + CTRL + C

SHIFT + CTRL + X

F10

if you try 'em you'll go back to dos and try to search for setup.exe / setup.com to configure sound for a game

DXBX EX setup:

SoundBlaster 2.0 / Pro

IRQ 7

DMA 1

if you're in DOS, type 'exit' to go back to EX Launcher

Last edited:

So you only changed the one .exe file ?

I have a game here and it has these Game.EXE, Main.EXE, Setup.EXE and DOS4GW.EXE

Which do I change ?

I have a game here and it has these Game.EXE, Main.exe, Setup.EXE and DOS4GW.EXE

Do I only change one or all of them ?

i guess you should only change game.exe to 01.exe [always leave DOS4GW.EXE untouched]

I have a game here and it has these Game.EXE, Main.exe, Setup.EXE and DOS4GW.EXE

Do I only change one or all of them ?

i guess you should only change game.exe to 01.exe [always leave DOS4GW.EXE untouched]

Nope did not work at all just put me back to DOS prompt could not find a way out so force shutdown.

I changed the SETUP.EXE to 01.EXE and it took me through the setup process and the end of which it took me to

the DOS prompt, haha I though its worked and typed in the name of the game, after while I got the message...

Please insert the game CD in you CD-ROM drive.

All this is what made me give up with Pandora DosBox before, I have spent all afternoon and upto now trying to get something working

in this, to say I am fedup is about right :( :(

Thanks for trying to help by the way Appreciated.

it seems that you have CD game in there.. did You put 01.iso in the game-dir as well? What Game You're trying to run?

We have MH-T engine [somewhere] to play Albion without DosBox.. Other that that Albion is really resource unfriendly on DosBox as its a game from 1995.

Back