Logo twerking

Do you want the person sitting opposite to take an interest in the device or do you want them sniggering behind their hand because you're advertising "DP" in large lit up letters?   Keep in mind that unless they already know it's meant to stand for Dragonbox Pyra, (and very few will)  their mind will fill in whatever words come to mind first.

- Neelix
I'm sure most people don't have their mind in a gutter and will take interest. Besides they can snigger and still take interest. :p Although, someone that automatically thinks that every time they see "DP" is the one with the problem. Not that name wouldn't be on it and that the logo explicitly says dp anyway, that's if it's not completely pull away from the original logo.

Pyra is much more than "DP".

Also

photo.jpg
dp-pumps.jpg
dp-logo-bevel.jpg
photo.jpg
dplogogrey.png
dp_logo_large.png
dp.jpg
dp.jpg
DP_Logo_Black.png
dp-surfboards-thumb.jpg
2b46514f9ad2674b32bf2842d06cb8b9.jpeg
logo-DP-Supply-160x90.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoops... looks like the other topic got locked just after my post.

Guess we'll continue in here....

Natsu, on 14 Apr 2014 - 11:54 PM, said:

FaeMinx, on 14 Apr 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

Like this: ??
*1d
Edit: I really like this one. Aesthetically it seems to be hitting a sweet spot for me.
Well, it still looks like dp and Kiga is happy about it... Win. lol

Can I see a thinner version?
Here you go:

*1dt

and here is the original variation with thinner lines:

Keep in mind we can't really close the gaps any more than this otherwise the plastic will be too fragile and flimsy.

One thing important for the designs:

It needs to be cut out of the lid - so there can't be any holes in there.
Is this really needed? Would make basicly every design we have choosen complicated. Who needs an illuminated logo? Better save these costs and improve the case otherwise. ;)

However, if you really want to light up the logo, parts of it that have holes could be glued onto transparent plastic that so or so covers the light under the surface I guess.

The thing is the inward curve/point looks weird compare to the others. Can you

make it the same?

One thing important for the designs:

It needs to be cut out of the lid - so there can't be any holes in there.
Why can't we just skip such nonsense, that is only there to "show off" and has no usage at all? Why not spend the money and/or effort on something usefull? I would even support Natsus idea of an additional speaker and microphone to make the Pyra more "phony" if it would mean to skip this

I'm sure most people don't have their mind in a gutter and will take interest. Besides they can snigger and still take interest. :p Although, someone that automatically thinks that every time they see "DP" is the one with the problem. Not that name wouldn't be on it and that the logo explicitly says dp anyway, that's if it's not completely pull away from the original logo.
You remind me of my manager from several years ago.    She wanted to rename "Technical Support" to "Customer Support" on the IVR  and expected customers to understand that the "Customer Support" department  handled technical queries and that the "Customer Service" department handled Account related queries, just based on the name.      I pointed out that this would be confusing to customers and was told "I have faith that our customers are intelligent enough to tell the difference."    Several months later the IVR was changed again after lots of customer feedback indicated that it wasn't obvious which buttons to press to get through to the right department.

You have faith that people's minds won't be in the gutter,   but you've missed my point.   Without a frame of reference to tell them otherwise,  their mind will go to the most prominent association they've previously made to "DP"   and if that association happens to come from the gutter, that's where their minds will go.     

- Neelix

Why can't we just skip such nonsense, that is only there to "show off" and has no usage at all? Why not spend the money and/or effort on something usefull? I would even support Natsus idea of an additional speaker and microphone to make the Pyra more "phony" if it would mean to skip this
It's useless to have an RGB LED outside of the case which is fully programmable and can be used for notifications?

Or show the charging level?

I don't know if I'm fond of the backlit logo either. However, I would like to point out that the exchange you are suggesting is by no means equivalent. You can fit an LED anywhere, it's tiny. Mic and Speakers take up a lot more room.

It's useless to have an RGB LED outside of the case which is fully programmable and can be used for notifications?

I wouldn't mind that if you were using 2 plastics for the lid with translucent plastic that can be lit from behind for the logo. However, leaving a hole that's just asking to be broken sounds bad for a device that people will be putting into their pockets.

-God Ginrai

No, but it would be a lot more usefull, if we could see this LED in both situation, with the Pyra opened and closed. And without bringing extra effort in to illuminating a logo - that was the "showoff" part - totally unnecassary. I even deem a logo in itself unnecessary, but as it looks like some people need to bond with a brand, for whatever reason.
I don't know if I'm fond of the backlit logo either. However, I would like to point out that the exchange you are suggesting is by no means equivalent. You can fit an LED anywhere, it's tiny. Mic and Speakers take up a lot more room.
I know, I would not want that either, but at least some use can be made of it.

The thing is the inward curve/point looks weird compare to the others. Can youmake it the same?
Sure...

*1dt2
After reading your sentence again, I believe I misunderstood?

Were you refering to just the tip (point) of the inner line? ... if so I agree, it needed a minor adjustment to make it more copasetic.

Making it as thin as the other lines as per the edit I thought you suggested I don't believe is a good idea.

So here is what I hope is the final edit with a very small adjustment of just the tip:

*1dt3

I wouldn't mind that if you were using 2 plastics for the lid with translucent plastic that can be lit from behind for the logo. However, leaving a hole that's just asking to be broken sounds bad for a device that people will be putting into their pockets.
Umm... of course there's a milky transparent plastics in there... who gave you the crazy idea that it'll be just a hole? :eek:

So the logo will be lit with an RGB led? Cool! I was hoping for that!

Yes, I also was under the impression that the LED was single colour? Does this confirm that it will in fact be RGB and maybe user customizable?

It will be RGB and it can be fully controlled via userspace. Two LEDs in the bottom will also be RGB.
Rather OT, but will that be all LEDs on the Pyra (I'm thinking specifically about SD-Card activity)?

Back