Let's go - Help wanted :) (2012-10-01)

If you ordered from me, you should've gotten an email about how to upgrade, as the pricing was different there. That mail is still valid.

Is there any way of doing this conveniently for you. Otherwise i will just and wait until the upgrade form works again :p
I doubt he is bringing that form back again, you should probably just email him.

Thanks a lot for your respond, notaz. Then i will try to send a short E-Mail with all information he might need. I am feeling bad though for putting another E-Mail on the huge pile he already has. On the other hand, i hope that what i am doing is helping and spaming the forums will help neither.

The pandora project just must not die, I am not wanting one for gaming, it is the combination of knowing where my money flows, free choice of operating system with an open and awesome default, the extension connector to play around with and its a pocket device with keyboard that can be used productively (All those things have been confirmed by many happy users on the forums). I don't need to hack around (jailbreak) in order to start hacking around and lastly, i don't need the false status other devices give their users. Pandora is awesome!The community is awesome!

Thanks to all of you for standing behind such a great idea and not giving up in rough times! Thanks ED, you are harming your health for this project and you are an awesome team player!

With deep respect

If you ordered from me, you should've gotten an email about how to upgrade, as the pricing was different there. That mail is still valid.

I still have it, and will read it carefully, thanks a lot!!

I've just cross upgraded my old order from Craigs Shop. I'm very excited and can't await the Pandora, hope it will be finally here after 2.5 years of waiting...

Sorry for the lack of news updates lately - those missing 20K EUR were a bit of a shock to me, as I was really awaiting that money to keep production going.

What did I miss?
Basically Craig had a mass cancellation (i.e. refunds) which meant he couldn't send money for Pandoras to ED.

Sorry for the lack of news updates lately - those missing 20K EUR were a bit of a shock to me, as I was really awaiting that money to keep production going.

What did I miss?

Craig has had some trouble with too many refunds requests at once and even though he sold some 1Ghz pandoras is still in the red financially. So were trying to alleviate his burden somewhat.

Edit: Ninjaed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Before sending out a unit I would have a press kit ready to go. I would also load the unit (in addition to the regular stuff) with demo songs, videos, ebooks, wikipedia and whatever else you think demonstrates the wide and varied abilities the unit has. Some of which should be mentioned in the press kit. I would also identify special apps to showcase. PIM, language learning, stargazing etc. A roadmap of what the different OS' provide. Functionality overview and navigation.

Lastly I would distill this down so as not to be information overload. Prioritize the things you want to showcase the most. The feature packet should be able to fit on the inside of a 2 page pamphlet. You open the pamphlet and the left page has information on its capabilities and navigation, the right page has a list of features one could try out. Perhaps the back page has a list of free software available. These are just random thoughts so any improvements are welcome.

Edit:

Originally when I mentioned flyers, I was imagining full sized flyers we could print out at home and post up where ever. In addition to that I would like to suggest micro banners that would fit several per sheet. That way we could print out a few sheets, cut them up and have a small bunch of micro flyers that we could accidentally leave places. Stuff falls out of my pockets all the time. Pubs, supermarkets, theaters, restrooms, windshields...who knows which way the wind blows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically: plow ahead and cram the best-of-the-best ultra high tech gizmods into it and have it cost $700, a price well outside the realm of reason for many people, OR accept that price *is* a factor and maybe you don't need a 1080p LCD screen where a 960 or 720 screen will suffice etc...

Here are some games to showcase in videos that I haven't seen yet:

* Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) -- This game is a cult classic and seeing it on the Pandora will attract quite a few people. It's one of the major reasons I wanted one. But since I'm broke and a preorderer... no Pandora yet.

* Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) -- Despite my harsh opinion of this game, it's revered by many people and will also attract some attention. The same goes for Majora's Mask, Jet Force Gemini, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Star Fox 64, and Donkey Kong 64, if the Pandora can handle them

* Final Fantasy 7 (PS1) -- See Ocarina of Time.

* Metal Slug (Neo Geo? MSX?) -- These games sport great graphics, classic appeal, and are difficult. Exactly what the average Pandorite enjoys. :)

* Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 2, Yoshi's Island (SNES) -- More classics that will draw attention

I could go on and on, but I think that's a good start. What I'd like to see more of is quality, recent homebrew! ED did a homebrew video showcase a little while back, but it didn't have many games and is probably in need of a sequel to cover newer releases like Super Geometry Dust and so on.

How about doing themed video's

Driving Games

Beat-em Ups

Shooters

etc

nice one Ed, and everyone else helping out, good looking ;-)

just made a little donation too

as a first batch pre order're in waiting, I like the cross-upgrade option, sadly can't afford that just now but soon perhaps

EvilDragon, what about those in Craig's queue who have already upgraded to 1Ghz - can those be fulfilled by your store?

That's the plan, yes.

I can't do it right away, as this needs to be funded, but both Craig and me are working on this.

I appreciate you being a solution finder, once again! I appreciate this was unexpected and is a very difficult situation and I appreciate your constant communication as always.

Maybe someone could make a video with some of the GCompris educational games - this is a potentially big audience that we haven't addressed so far. Parents will buy expensive things for their children. And the Pandora is certainly a much better thing to buy for, say, a 6 year old child than a DS or something like that. 1) They can play the same games on it that their parents played when they were young, 2) They can play educational games like those from the GCompris suite, so it can actually help them learn to read and calculate, and 3) When they're a bit older (say 8 or 9), they can learn to program on it!

And the above is also a great excuse for parents with younger kids to buy the Pandora for themselves, with the intention of giving it to their child(ren) when they are old enough for it.

Here are some games to showcase in videos that I haven't seen yet:

* Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) -- This game is a cult classic and seeing it on the Pandora will attract quite a few people. It's one of the major reasons I wanted one. But since I'm broke and a preorderer... no Pandora yet.

* Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) -- Despite my harsh opinion of this game, it's revered by many people and will also attract some attention. The same goes for Majora's Mask, Jet Force Gemini, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Star Fox 64, and Donkey Kong 64, if the Pandora can handle them

* Final Fantasy 7 (PS1) -- See Ocarina of Time.

* Metal Slug (Neo Geo? MSX?) -- These games sport great graphics, classic appeal, and are difficult. Exactly what the average Pandorite enjoys. :)

* Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 2, Yoshi's Island (SNES) -- More classics that will draw attention

I could go on and on, but I think that's a good start. What I'd like to see more of is quality, recent homebrew! ED did a homebrew video showcase a little while back, but it didn't have many games and is probably in need of a sequel to cover newer releases like Super Geometry Dust and so on

How about doing themed video's

Driving Games

Beat-em Ups

Shooters

etc

Target female gamers and lgbt gamers

Before sending out a unit I would have a press kit ready to go. I would also load the unit (in addition to the regular stuff) with demo songs, videos, ebooks, wikipedia and whatever else you think demonstrates the wide and varied abilities the unit has. Some of which should be mentioned in the press kit. I would also identify special apps to showcase. PIM, language learning, stargazing etc. A roadmap of what the different OS' provide. Functionality overview and navigation.

Lastly I would distill this down so as not to be information overload. Prioritize the things you want to showcase the most. The feature packet should be able to fit on the inside of a 2 page pamphlet. You open the pamphlet and the left page has information on its capabilities and navigation, the right page has a list of features one could try out. Perhaps the back page has a list of free software available. These are just random thoughts so any improvements are welcome.

Edit:

Originally when I mentioned flyers, I was imagining full sized flyers we could print out at home and post up where ever. In addition to that I would like to suggest micro banners that would fit several per sheet. That way we could print out a few sheets, cut them up and have a small bunch of micro flyers that we could accidentally leave places. Stuff falls out of my pockets all the time. Pubs, supermarkets, theaters, restrooms, windshields...who knows which way the wind blows.

Well in an effort to bring the topic back to what it should be about I ordered a pandora this weekend and it was shipped out today. Hopefully I will have it by friday which is the estimate.

ED, I may donate by the end of the month if I don't forget! Kind of short on cash right now after buying pandora, gcw zero, 3ds xl and a new xbox 360 in just a week or two.. :)

There are other ways I can help maybe, you mentioned videos and I think it's a great suggestion. Unfortunately I don't understand how to build a tv-out cable and it's not for sale in your shop so I will have to do it with a camera. (if someone would be willing to build and send me a cable I would gladly pay for it, I have equipment for capturing from various sources)

I fell there is a shortage of pandora videos on youtube outside of ED himself. There are a couple ot long reviews and small clips here and there but I feel like there could be so much more. So I'll gladly help out with uploading a few videos of my own. I'm in the process of learning OpenGL (thanks to the pandora!) and developing an arcade-style homebrew game which I plan to release for both pandora and pc so I might shoot a few videos of the development of this game. We'll see.

I will also try my best to spread the word around about the pandora. It seems like a really amazing device and more people should get to know about it.

Donated 40 EUR and bought a 1Ghz from Mark @ ithic.com - can't wait!

Best of luck ED!

What about all of us talking up the Pandora on Facebook and creating Pandora FB page if there isn't one.

A nice looking banner graphic with a link to OpenPandora.org would be awesome.

I could implement it in my blog.

Linkbuilding is quite helpful to get more attention from Google.

Donated but not so many just 10EUR at this time sorry I spend a lot of money for my Chronic Disease in last month.

But will donate more in end of this month.

hopefully this will help a bit for all old preorderer and 1GHz preorderer(include myself)

most important keywords for Pandora is Pandora is not a game console.

Pandora is UMPC, I think still powerful UMPC(coz. no arm based umpc exist at this time except sharp netwalker) with game controller build in which is can play so many games/emu also.

This is a reason what I bought all model of Pandora units(except 1GHz from Craig)

Anyway I don't know what i can help for but if you need help/support in Japan things just let me know.

Probably I can help. :D

Back