Keymat Sample Pictures!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As promised, here are some pictures of the sample keymat that just arrived today!
The keymat has some issues (the glue is not properly done), but I knew that upfront. New samples which should be perfect in that regard are already on the way and should arrive next week.

I'll do a newspost with a video and some more information about my opinions of the keymat tomorrow, but I didn't want to make you wait any longer for pictures!

First, some pictures showing the keymat alone:
ActionButtons.jpgKeymatFull.jpg
Backside.jpg

This is what it looks like inside the printed prototype case:

KeymatInPrintedCase.JPGKeymatInPrintedCase2.JPG

And these are some pictures I took in the dark, using an LED flashlight to light up the keys:

GlowInTheDark.jpgBacklight.jpg

And some comparison with the Pandora keymat:

PandoraAndPyra.jpgPandoraAndPyraFull.jpg

You can also download the pictures in one ZIP file: http://www.openpandora.org/downloads/SampleKeymat.zip

looks awesome!

aren't keys somewhat smaller than pandora? i guess the plastic caps help with typing easier...

Thanks for sharing,
if your LED picture is somewhat realistic, the backlighting will be very nice =)

Can the backspace symbol be made into a ← instead of a long left arrow?

It would then be similar to usual behavior, where it matches the return key.

The arrow can also be found on the left, but it is still small.

A large arrow looks off to me, so i propose a small arrow, in the middle of the key.

I noticed the Fn labels are a different shade than I thought, with a little more red than I expected.  I like the real thing better than what I figured it would look like.

The keycaps look really nice.  Thank you for picking that style, and making most of the mat black.  The fone I am typing on right now is missing some of the paint on around half of the keys, and I don't feel the white space around the edges on these keys do anything of value.

Is the black just paint, or is it another layer of silicone?  I am just wondering if it will wear off like the paint on some keyboards.

I am looking forward to opinions about the feel, especially on the gaming buttons.

We just need some pics with nubs and dpad (and shoulder buttons and display, I guess).

Looks nice, thanks for posting,
Its it just mee, or is the new keymat a bit smaler than the Pandora keymat??
and the Hools for the Nubs are also smaler and the keys itsellf..
Seems like it also fits in the Protoyphe Case..
Only the Nubs and the DPAD are missing,
But mybe its just a little test it fits, and you show its on a diverent board in the video whit dpad and nubs..

The plastic key cap should protect the paint layer.  I would be quite surprised if any of it wore off in normal usage.

-Neelix

The plastic key cap should protect the paint layer.  I would be quite surprised if any of it wore off in normal usage.

-Neelix

I am thinking of lower down where the mat flexes and/or rubs against itself, the case, and the caps.

Edit: It looks like there is less space between the Pyra keys, which I think I will like.  For those that are concerned about how much smaller the keys will be compared to the ones one the Pandora keyboard, we knew they were going to be shorter. Don't forget that part of what you will be pressing is clear, so they may seem like they are smaller than they actually are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be possible to ask to switch place between the "X" key and the "A" key of the gamepad (not the keyboard), in a sort of commentary part when ordering?

I'm curious, how do the actual A,B,X and Y buttons feel? I don't think I've ever used a device where they where actually a part of the keymat and not separate parts that sit on the mat. Is this an improvement, about the same, or worse?

Chris

I'm curious, how do the actual A,B,X and Y buttons feel? I don't think I've ever used a device where they where actually a part of the keymat and not separate parts that sit on the mat. Is this an improvement, about the same, or worse?

Chris

Well I'm less concerned with the buttons than I am with the D-Pad, the Pandora did it a bit differently and it worked well.

Well, looks nice and shiny.  ;)
It could be indeed a little bit cleaner, let's wait for the final Keymat.  From the Pictures and Renderings I still wonder if the keycaps have a "sharp" edge or are they smooth enough not to slice the fingertips. Especialy ABXY action buttons will be used alot with permanent slides over. That's why I still prefer separate action buttons like todays Gamepads have. At least, it seems these are higher than the 2 small  additional action buttons, which is good.
Now, how does the keymat feel? Typing, gaming? At least some "dry" exercises should be possible for an first impression. ^^

Quote said:
Well I'm less concerned with the buttons than I am with the D-Pad, the Pandora did it a bit differently and it worked well.
It is not bad but for my taste, it "swims" a little bit to much due the direct glue onto the rubber mat. I prefer a more stiff feeling like the one from the old GBA Advance. It was precise, had a small travel distance and was a little bit "clicky" but not to much. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back