Juggling with some numbers (2011 - 03 - 29)

it was April fool's but that wasn't their gag, it being here in 2 weeks is though :) or 2 months lol

Except for offering you to either wait until the cabbages arrive or give you your money back.
And you've got the exact same options here.
I have a problem with this analogy, since it's too simplified. But let's go with the analogy, anyway. In this situation, I'd be asking how many people in line for cabbages ahead of me, and how many of those people will the next batch of cabbages fulfil? Or perhaps more succinctly: will that next batch of cabbages be enough to fulfil my order, or will I need to wait for a subsequent cabbage delivery from your supplier?

This then gives me the information I need: I can decide to wait for the next batch of cabbages (or the second one, or third, or whatever), or I can go to the burger place next door and eat there (possibly with cabbages, possibly without; I may or may not care about the specific ingredients in my meal).

The bottom line is this: knowing only when the next batch of cabbages will arrive does not really give me any information about when my pizza order will be fulfilled.

As I said in a previous post, I don't even care to know specifically when I will receive my cabbage pizza, er I mean Pandora; I just want to see that there is some progress in shipping to customers from one week to the next. The food analogy is that if I can't see any movement in the line (no matter how haphazard and irregular that movement might be), then I may find another place to eat at.

I also don't even care about how many have been sent thus far, or replaced, or whatever. I'm happy to accept that this is too difficult (or uninteresting) for you to spend time on right now. (I hate accounting, personally, so I understand your resistance; surely building Pandoras must be much more fun!) I would just like to see a simple weekly report on how many Pandoras were shipped that week. It could be a total, or it could be broken down per ED/craigix, etc; I'm not fussed.

Please?

Except for offering you to either wait until the cabbages arrive or give you your money back.
I have a problem with this analogy, since it's too simplified. But let's go with the analogy, anyway. In this situation, I'd be asking how many people in line for cabbages ahead of me, and how many of those people will the next batch of cabbages fulfil? Or perhaps more succinctly: will that next batch of cabbages be enough to fulfil my order, or will I need to wait for a subsequent cabbage delivery from your supplier?

This then gives me the information I need: I can decide to wait for the next batch of cabbages (or the second one, or third, or whatever), or I can go to the burger place next door and eat there (possibly with cabbages, possibly without; I may or may not care about the specific ingredients in my meal).

So, what happens if they do not know when the next batch of cabbages will arrive and how many cabbages will be in that batch?

Excactly, they cannot tell you how long you will have to wait. And it's the same issue here.

So, what happens if they do not know when the next batch of cabbages will arrive and how many cabbages will be in that batch?

Excactly, they cannot tell you how long you will have to wait. And it's the same issue here.

ok.. i am drunk, this made me laugh. starting a game on the topic. drunken coding ftw.. be back in a hour or two and show what can be made by alcohol, c++, and to much waiting for a pandora...

pnd format pretty please

ok, what do I ( i am the head character) shoot at cabbage zombies?

i had a look at the pnd format a year ago or so but, i am drunk and have forgot all about it. will release all graphics and code under public domain. do wtf you want with it. i do not have the soberness, or the.. thingie to do a pnd. but i will release binarys for 64bit linux and all code and graphics.

this is based on a old project from 2010, it was intended for the 2010 pandora angst competiton 9feb to 28mars. so its about time i released something..

i will go to bed soon because my fridge have done something unforgivable, it have run out of beer on me! have can it do some thing like that! does it not have a heart? i guess not, but its compressor ought to be able to feel compassion...

pnd format pretty please

ok, what do I ( i am the head character) shoot at cabbage zombies?

i had a look at the pnd format a year ago or so but, i am drunk and have forgot all about it. will release all graphics and code under public domain. do wtf you want with it. i do not have the soberness, or the.. thingie to do a pnd. but i will release binarys for 64bit linux and all code and graphics.

The first one to reply get to decide. everything is done, as soon as i get to know what i shoot i will upload it to my server and post a download mirror for the binary and source.

shoot vodka bottles

or Craig heads

Vodka bottles it is. to low res for craigs head. or i am to lazy..

Vodka bottles are done :) its not beautiful, but it is as good as it will get.

i found bg sound and lose sound that i have made. please wait while i look up sdl sound at lazyfoo.. will release it within 1h (if i manage to upload it to my server) my internet connection here is slightly worse then no connection at all, thats because it works very bad if at all, some times..

ok its all done. Zip-ing ( if those evil windows users want to look at my code) will soon be uploding. my next post will contain a download link.

Well, now it is a bit more clear :)

I just hope.... that it is really working... I will tell when i receive mine. i am said to be 1150-1250 in craigxs 2 years ago... nowdays i dont know, it should be less, never bigger, but lets say a save number. 1500. with this numbers of 250 per week, it shouldnt be more than 3 weeks... to receive the email... we will see...

well, first week and no email.

i really hope... i get next week, or the next one, or i will completely stop of trust in the team.

An approximation to make more clear, using the 250 per week, 10 premiums per week, and 5% error

(250 * 0,75) - 10 - (250 * 0,05) = 165 per week in the queue of Craigix

if last week we were in the 1000 position (in the craigix queue...) it will be 1165 now, 1330 next week, and 1495 the third week. (Oh well, will be Easter, so we can allow 4 weeks of trust, then, i will be over... and send this to the shit(well i will wait until get it to sell by ebay at 495$). if i get it before, i will try to develop my project of a platform game maker thinking in the pandora).

Indeed. That's the point at which people decide to eat elsewhere. Or in the case of OP, ask for a refund.

Note, however, that I don't mind that you don't have a specific delivery date for me. I just want to see some visible sign that progress is being made in the shipping of completed Pandoras.

The feeling I get from a few other posters is similar...

So how about a weekly report on how many Pandoras you posted to end users the previous week?

Please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. That's the point at which people decide to eat elsewhere.
Carrying the already broken analogy further, that may very well work for others, but for a lot of people eating somewhere else just won't work.

Maybe the other restaurants don't let you put salt and pepper on the cabbage you've ordered, but you like a little saltiness in your food. You can "hack" and bring in your own salt, but if you're caught, the chef will come out and say "that is an extreme insult. I am going to box up your cabbage and you will leave. You are not welcome here anymore."

Perhaps other restaurant doesn't give you a fork with which to eat, you must use spoons. This can work, and the spoon is a great input device for eating many things, but when it comes to eating cabbage it's a lot easier if you have a fork.

A third restaurant may exist where the portions are so small you are left wanting more, but that'll cost extra.

OPTs restaurant not only supplies you with salt and pepper, but also garlic, basil, chopped onions. Their cabbage is pretty good to begin with, but they actively encourage you to make it better if you want.

OPTs restaurant also supplies you with a full compliment of eating utensils. The forks are a little smaller than standard, but it's surprisingly easy to get used to them, much easier than eating with a spoon.

OPT also has an unlimited buffet option. The selection isn't the greatest yet, but they're working on it.

Other restaurants may offer one or two of these things, and for a lot of people that might be the perfect fit for them, all the power to those people, but a lot of us want all three things. We want to spice up our cabbage, eat it with a fork, and then happily go for seconds, or try some slightly different variety of cabbage whenever we want.

Carrying the already broken analogy further, that may very well work for others, but for a lot of people eating somewhere else just won't work.

[...]

OPTs restaurant not only supplies you with salt and pepper, but also garlic, basil, chopped onions. Their cabbage is pretty good to begin with, but they actively encourage you to make it better if you want.

OPTs restaurant also supplies you with a full compliment of eating utensils. The forks are a little smaller than standard, but it's surprisingly easy to get used to them, much easier than eating with a spoon.

OPT also has an unlimited buffet option. The selection isn't the greatest yet, but they're working on it.

Other restaurants may offer one or two of these things, and for a lot of people that might be the perfect fit for them, all the power to those people, but a lot of us want all three things. We want to spice up our cabbage, eat it with a fork, and then happily go for seconds, or try some slightly different variety of cabbage whenever we want.
Sure, but we still have very little idea of when we're going to get access to the wonderful, flavoursome, all-you-can-eat buffet of awesomeness. If you're hungry enough, you might just walk away and eat elsewhere. Which is what people are doing.

Teasing us with titbits about how well the supply chain is going is not enough for some people. I consider myself a bit of an open-source zealot (this is not the first FOSS-based hardware project I've thrown money and support behing), but even I'm finding it trying. However I'm going to stick around anyway, since I'm very enthusiastic about this whole thing, and since I'd lose money if I get a refund (due to the recent boost the my local currency's global value).

More concrete information, such as how many Pandoras completed and shipped this week, may well encourage others who aren't quite as patient or zealous as myself to stick around, who might otherwise bail in the next Two Monthstm...

Sure, but we still have very little idea of when we're going to get access to the wonderful, flavoursome, all-you-can-eat buffet of awesomeness. If you're hungry enough, you might just walk away and eat elsewhere. Which is what people are doing.
Yes, and like I said, that is perfectly fine for some people that aren't fully into cabbage, but for others there simply is no where else to go. I may go next door and have a cheap bowl of soup to keep me going and not go hungry, a fine meal to be eaten with a spoon, but I keep my stomach ready for the real meal because I like eating cabbage with a fork. And it's not like I'm waiting around in the restaurant doing nothing, I can just pass by on my way to and from work, talk to the other people also patiently waiting for their cabbage, and then carry on with my day. I don't have to get upset about not having cabbage (although technically I have been eating cabbage for months now, but before I did, I didn't have to get upset) because it isn't really affecting me. Not having this super good cabbage is not stopping me from enjoying everything else in life.

If some other restaurant starts offering cabbage that you can eat with a fork, I'm betting a lot of people will abandon the Pandora, but for now we tide ourselves with soup and crackers.

Maybe the other restaurants don't let you put salt and pepper on the cabbage you've ordered, but you like a little saltiness in your food. You can "hack" and bring in your own salt, but if you're caught, the chef will come out and say "that is an extreme insult. I am going to box up your cabbage and you will leave. You are not welcome here anymore."

Perhaps other restaurant doesn't give you a fork with which to eat, you must use spoons. This can work, and the spoon is a great input device for eating many things, but when it comes to eating cabbage it's a lot easier if you have a fork.

A third restaurant may exist where the portions are so small you are left wanting more, but that'll cost extra.

i leave the boards for a few weeks and come back to read this! this should be laser enscribed on the pandora 2 cpu's

Back