It's yummy. But you can't eat it!

I am waiting for the time when you can answer these questions for us (or we can answer them for ourselves).
The fact that it is working well enough to not feel like it's worth bothering to measure actually says a lot though. Working WiFi prior to board mass production - check that one off of the "Don't Repeat Pandora Mistakes" list.

Just shove it in the tray and move on through. Is there more to the process now, or do they just x-ray all your stuff and scan you or feel you up? I haven't flown since they started taking naked pictures of you, so I am not sure if it is still just security theater or if they actually think about things and do things that make sense.

The last time I flew my carry on bag was x-ray scanned then overly well searched - complete empty and re-pack. My Pandora even got swabbed. When I went through the ICLICF machine (I See London I See France), they caught an 'anomaly' in my pants pocket. It was a 1/2 sized sheet of paper towel that I was using as a snot rag.

Likely it's a combination of factors. I carry an odd assortment of electronic equipment when I travel, have a background in Chemical Engineering, can legally concealed carry in many/most states of the US, am given regular background checks from my employers and an organization that I volunteer for, regularly travel outside of cell tower coverage, purchase fuel 45 US Gallons at a time and communicate regularly on foreign web sites. I'm very likely to be on one or more lists of "Interesting Individuals." Heck, if I saw my profile I would want me to get another look.

Still, a clear cased Pyra should shorten that one moment of, "What is this?" I suspect that the TSA guy likely had my profile on the monitor when the Pandora got red-flagged. It is just the right size for a .380 case. A clear Pyra would be obviously an electronic gadget and not 'something bad'.

Really, I'm a good guy with no nefarious intentions. But even I can see that if knowledge is dangerous - there is a good chance I'm on one or more lists.

Reactions: rSl
The fact that it is working well enough to not feel like it's worth bothering to measure actually says a lot though. Working WiFi prior to board mass production - check that one off of the "Don't Repeat Pandora Mistakes" list.
Absolutely. I'm sorry to say that when I am at home (pretty much the only place I have used wifi in many months) I don't even bother with my Pandora's internal wifi.

As for the TSA stuff, when they seemed it did they detect any residue? I don't know how sensitive whatever method they use is, or how careful you are to clean up your stuff (back when I regularly went to ranges I didn't care, and I like the smell...yeah, I'm a weirdo). For a long time, when I flew frequently, I usually got a free pass when flying, as my flights weren't technically commercial flights. On at least one occasion I got stopped because of something that seemed iffy in my suit bag. It was a pin. Obviously if someone is going to do bad things they are going to advertise it. Oh, and they took my toothpaste one time. The sad thing is I quickly thought of ways to try to get around all their "protective" measures as soon as, or before, they implemented them, and I really have no reason to. It just showed me how stupid it all was. At least they protected passengers from one of the most dangerous things on Earth, water.

There is a comedy group out of Washington called the Capitol Steps who do a great song/bit about the TSA. "Put your cans in the hands of the man who steals your water." Just past security into the gate areas of any airport, the first shop you'll find will generally sell bottled water so you can replace the one you just threw away - for $4 per 12oz. Airport terminal drinking fountains invariably have the worst tasting water I have ever had the displeasure of consuming - and I've been around a bit. The hardest items for me to find that I need to travel are the small or tiny tubes of plain Crest toothpaste. I don't like all of the whitening, flavors, glitz, glitter or whatnot that they all seem to have lately, and finding a regular plain tube of Crest that's less than 6oz is a surprising challenge.

I'm not trying to get away with anything. I'm just thinking that a clear Pyra would make it easier/quicker by making the device obviously not a threat or a case concealing anything else. I'll still get checked thoroughly, but maybe they won't see a need to run the 120 second chromatography check on a swab from a device they can see through. The TSA is still welcome to check whatever sparks their interest, but anything I can do to make their jobs easier and get me through smoother is good.

Fun fact: many electronics and such in prisons are clear(ish). See what the government is trying to do to you. :p

The non-centered keyboard on the Win seems less of an issue than other things. Although nothing major is likely to change with the Pyra (and I see no reason to consider such changes) I would be interested in hearing why those that prefer the Win over the Pyra feel as they do. The three things I would guess are price, Windows, and x86.
Well, I don't prefer it over the Pyra, but there are definitely some major advantages of the GPD Win:
  • It has the full 4 GB memory I'd like to see.
  • Better CPU.
  • More keys on the keyboard (but perhaps harder to use overall?).
  • Possibly better Linux support since the GPU is Intel which usually has free drivers.
However, I still prefer the Pyra because the GPD Win is missing:
  • 2 full sized SD slots (GPD Win has only a single MicroSD slot)
  • Resistive touchscreen and built-in stylus
  • Cellular 3G/4G modem and GPS
If they added at least the modem, however, I would seriously be considering a GPD Win instead of the Pyra...

Though I still think a number of people will buy a Pyra because it's Linux - it will attract the Linux crowd
Ah, but the GPD Win may actually have better Linux support since it doesn't rely on a PowerVR GPU and uses x86 which is generally well-supported.

So i created an Wiki Page for Comparing Pyra, GPD Win and OpenPandora(Should I add the XD?). Is everyone d'accord with that before I put more effort into it?
Where's the wiki page? I made a Google Spreadsheet:
I want something pocket-friendly, so WIN is a no-go.
They seem about the same size - I think the thinness of the GPD Win could very well counter the additional height/width.

Don't forget that the upgradable CPU board can negate all the GPD advantages other than the Indiegogo price and %10 larger screen.

Only when/if such an upgrade actually exists.
All that takes is someone to do it. It doesn't have to be officially supported. In 30 years, if someone is still playing with it, they can make a small run of CPU boards, or even whole Pyras, since everything will be released. Some of my favorite computers from 30 years ago allow many of those same possibilities.
[doublepost=1457990844,1457990736][/doublepost]
Why does it claim the GPD Win does not have a free software stack?
Just a guess, but probably libre (free as in freedom, not beer).

Last edited:
For SD card slots on the Pyra, there is also a Micro-SD card slot as well as the 2 Large ones. the HDMI is also micro-HDMI

No way to actually edit it/register?

Why does it claim the GPD Win does not have a free software stack?
Because it doesn't have one.
At the moment there might as well be no software stack.

Concerning those who say, that the GPD Win might be better concerning Linux support. The same might be said concerning the Windows x86 tablets, but as far as I know, it isn't the case.

The price, probably the main reason for a lot of folks to prefer the GPD WIN should be added to the comparison chart IMHO.
The Intel CPU of the GPD is green, so is it better than the OMAP5432? Why is that, more cores? What will it do better?

At least the BIOS is closed, U-Boot isn't to my knowledge. Except if they are using coreboot/libreboot, which i don't think.

For SD card slots on the Pyra, there is also a Micro-SD card slot as well as the 2 Large ones. the HDMI is also micro-HDMI
Look closer. (at the wiki)

No way to actually edit it/register?

BTW, do they really have LPDDR3-1600? Not LPDDR3-800? What is Pyra's Ram speed ,Battery Voltage and Size?

Last edited:
It has the full 4 GB memory I'd like to see.
Has ED confirmed that the Pyra will have 2GB of Ram? As far as I'm aware we're still awaiting the cost & battery implications of 2GB & 4GB

If the cost & battery implications for 4GB are not severe I think it would be a no brainer to go for 4GB, a couple of good reasons being that the Pyra is attempting to compete with GPD Win as a serious computing device & over 50% of users from these boards were interested in more than 2GB in the ram poll.

When was the last time anyone used a computer and thought I wish I had a bit less Ram....

Why would I want 4GB of ram? Image editing, running VM's, future proofing, Desktop replacement use etc.

I can certainly see why 2GB would make sense if the costs / battery drain was high but taking desktop Ram as an example 2GB is approx £10 & 4GB is approx £15 which would you go for? No idea if ram for a SOC is more or less expensive than this...

Reactions: rSl
I just tried out to modify the chart a bit, with more neutral, wikipedia-style coloring.
Right now I'm just at the preview page, because I'm not sure if I just should submit it without asking, the change is quite big.
Should I just submit it (as it could be reverted) or better copy it on my userpage at the wiki?

This line in the Wiki

"Simultaneous mouse+KB+buttons"

Does the Pyra also allow you to use the dpad and other controls also ?, becuase the line above only suggests that in mouse mode you can use mouse, keyboard and face buttons

Back