It's software this time!

Should davesha skip the queue so he can work directly on the Pyra?

• Yes

Votes: 174 99.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

my favorite part of this post :D, also of course.

[edit]also it's easy to give daveshah the 0th or -1th Pyra, indexing-wise.
I was thinking of asking whether it would be possible to start assembling units already without the heat parts we’re waiting for so that once they do arrive it will be very quick to finish and ship them off!

I was thinking of asking whether it would be possible to start assembling units already without the heat parts we’re waiting for so that once they do arrive it will be very quick to finish and ship them off!
I think we also require painted cases ( we have only seen painted samples, not the all cases), and probably all mainboards are still not populated by global components.

Last edited:
I think we also require painted cases ( we have only seen painted samples, not the all cases), and probably all mainboards are still not populated by global components.
I thought that “the hardware is finished” implied that the PCBs had been finished?

'Finished' could mean fully designed and tested out, but not manufactured yet in retail quantities. But to me, the fact ED says he has about half a dozen (it's on the previous page, I can't be arsed to check) retail units in his office, suggests he at least has some fully working and produced units. Where these came from, I can't say, but I suspect they're late test runs that turned out to be good enough to sell, because after ED gives to go ahead (which I think he already has) they should produce a full batch worth, not a handful, and they should be able to produce dozens per hour.

'Finished' could mean fully designed and tested out, but not manufactured yet in retail quantities. But to me, the fact ED says he has about half a dozen (it's on the previous page, I can't be arsed to check) retail units in his office, suggests he at least has some fully working and produced units. Where these came from, I can't say, but I suspect they're late test runs that turned out to be good enough to sell, because after ED gives to go ahead (which I think he already has) they should produce a full batch worth, not a handful, and they should be able to produce dozens per hour.
Touché

@EvilDragon, in the unlikely event you should have a spare moment, would you mind giving a bit more detail on this?

For a Member who do help so good with Tiler and LowLevel Things....no Problem to get one Pyra earlier ;)
Its like an Dev for us all and Devs should have Priority.

Some Pyras are near already?
Wow good News..and good News with that Tiler Thing finaly fixed :)

Let us call him with correct name @daveshah so he notice and can vote for himself :)
Just to be a troll I could vote "no" xD

As another teaser, this is 3D acceleration and X11 working together using xf86-video-armsoc-omap5 and dri3wsegl - this is not using TILER yet, but that's the next step. The armsoc-omap5 driver also takes advantage of the GC320 2D accelerator.

I’m inclined to vote “yes” but I do have to agree with @Beard Lost in the Woods here.

That being said, didn’t devs get the pre-pre-order units?

I am also interested in helping with Pyra kernel development, my "day job" is FPGA tooling so I'm fairly used to working at a low level including a tiny bit of kernel hacking in the past (not so much on the driver side though, more memory management and interrupt stuff). I can't commit any particular amount of time, I'd mostly be doing this for a bit of variety for what I'm working on but hopefully can manage a few hours a week. I have an OMAP5 dev kit on the way to play with.

It would be great if there were some tasks that weren't really on the critical path, but that would be useful to complete.

So this was just two and a half week ago, so unless ED has a time machine, he could not send him a dev unit before. :)

About the topic: I am not sure if I have a right to participate the poll, it depends, on how far down the queue the unit in question is. I should be somewhere around 250 (about 50th regular preorder), if that is before @daveshah 's position, I would be glad to step back in order to speed up developement.

So this was just two and a half week ago, so unless ED has a time machine, he could not send him a dev unit before. :)

About the topic: I am not sure if I have a right to participate the poll, it depends, on how far down the queue the unit in question is. I should be somewhere around 250 (about 50th regular preorder), if that is before @daveshah 's position, I would be glad to step back in order to speed up developement.
Oh don’t worry, I voted “yes” just after editing my comment but I wasn’t suggesting @daveshah might have received a pre-pre-order unit - I was saying that maybe any devs who might have felt slightly left out by such a proposition perhaps shouldn’t because they already received dev units

I voted yes.
I was going to say the only way to vote no would be if @daveshah himself didn't want to. ... and then I read,,,

Just to be a troll I could vote "no" xD

Com'on now! So I voted yes to troll the troll :p

I don't understand fully the state of @daveshah work* (which kernel version and which results if any without proprietary stuff, I don't really care for 3D) but the fact that he is working is good enough.
I think I'm somewhere in the last batch so I wouldn't probably notice.
But yes, I'd like to have some kind of policy to generalize these cases, which would also be an incentive for new developers.
I don't know who should decide it.
I think it's nice of ED to have asked basically all forum members to vote, in recognition to community, but I find other alternatives also reasonable:
- let ED alone decide (he gets to decide investments in hardware, so a Pyra to a developer could just be a cheaper investment than some he has decided alone)
- have a council of developers decide (so that they can evaluate the develper or his contribution)
- have all preorderers decide (or only those that would have their shipment delayed, so none after @daveshah in this case, maybe I'm after him and I voted)
but it's all academic, because internet elections don't work anyway...

* I don't understand it because I haven't reasearched it, not because any lack of transparency. It's probably out there in a pubilc mailing list and some gits.

Without software the Pyra is less usable, so I would encourage active devs to try out these kind of thing on the real machine if possible.
I can remember ED once had a Pandora with a webcam pointed at it, so people could remotely test software. Maybe that's something that can be done again?

I wouldn't find it cheating if the Pyra would run the same resolution as the Pandora, just you see it's running Unreal much faster.

I think it's nice of ED to have asked basically all forum members to vote, in recognition to community, but I find other alternatives also reasonable:
- let ED alone decide (he gets to decide investments in hardware, so a Pyra to a developer could just be a cheaper investment than some he has decided alone)
- have a council of developers decide (so that they can evaluate the develper or his contribution)
- have all preorderers decide (or only those that would have their shipment delayed, so none after @daveshah in this case, maybe I'm after him and I voted)
+1 for a dev council (so long as the decision is explained to the whole community)
Post automatically merged:

Without software the Pyra is less usable, so I would encourage active devs to try out these kind of thing on the real machine if possible.
I can remember ED once had a Pandora with a webcam pointed at it, so people could remotely test software. Maybe that's something that can be done again?

I wouldn't find it cheating if the Pyra would run the same resolution as the Pandora, just you see it's running Unreal much faster.

That’s very cool - NASA rover style!

Reactions: rSl
Back