Instant Pandora with a premium?

I registered to express my frustration in this. I preorder and now someone who pays a higher rate can now just jump anyone that is waiting in the que to receive their pandora. I am going to think this over tonight but am strongly siding towards canceling because of this.
Great for you... but why are you trolling here? Just do it, ok? The whole point is (again):

1) to speed things up,

2) to get more money for project.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

I ordered a pandora, extra battery, case, and tv out cables. It is nearly $500 at the time of purchase. I've dealt with lack of updates, time, and everything else. But I think someone coming in and paying the amount I did without the add ons this late in the game to just bypass the waiting period is unreasonable. Someone who has waited with all of us wants to pay $100 to move up fine, but just a new random order?
I understand how you feel but im certain op wouldnt have done this unless it was absolutely necessary.Craig said profits from the i controlpad will be used to fund pandora production too.Thats at ops cost. :)

I've checked in a few times over what appears to be the fastest growing thread ever, and I am in support of Craig's decision, but I really do hope that the reasons stated, and the improved production can be shown and kept up over the next few weeks without many of the BS excuses that we have all seen over the last 2 years.

I can understand both sides of this situation, and I don't expect anyone to be happy about it. My Pandora is in for repairs, so it is possible that mine will be delayed also by these new turn of events, but I really want this project to go forward, and if improvements in production can be shown very soon, I really don't see a long term problem, but if many guys/gals cut the line, only to have others who have waited for years get pushed out into the cold, that won't go over to well with anyone, myself included.

So I really do hope Craig now knows an exact figure of what CC will be producing from here on out, and that hiring more staff is the right thing to do currently. If the team has thought this thru, and this is the best course of action, there is very little anyone can do, but wait and hope for the best.

Chris

I registered to express my frustration in this. I preorder and now someone who pays a higher rate can now just jump anyone that is waiting in the que to receive their pandora. I am going to think this over tonight but am strongly siding towards canceling because of this.
Great for you... but why are you trolling here? Just do it, ok? The whole point is (again):

1) to speed things up,

2) to get more money for project.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

I ordered a pandora, extra battery, case, and tv out cables. It is nearly $500 at the time of purchase. I've dealt with lack of updates, time, and everything else. But I think someone coming in and paying the amount I did without the add ons this late in the game to just bypass the waiting period is unreasonable. Someone who has waited with all of us wants to pay $100 to move up fine, but just a new random order?
So you are ok with waiting longer for your pandora in order to maintain pre-order exclusivity? To what purpose?

As long as not ALL of the parts are in Newcastle it's obvious that this most probably will slow the pre orders down. Seeing as if this takes off and gets succesfull OPT will run out of parts soon.

Unless there is no interest for the $500,- option and then there's no point in creating all this fuzz.

If the $500,- option gets taken by more then a certain amount of people we simply don't have the cases and they are on some boat arriving at some time no one knows yet. And we could be looking at a long wait again. This is regardless of the speed CC can produce. If the cases arrive they'll be the next bottleneck. Or the cables.

If OPT needs this to survive, it is what it is. But saying that it will speed things up and whacking it online in the middle of the discussion is just not being honest. If you were going to do it anyways why "ask" us and not just inform us of the necessity.

Seriously, I can deal with, and appreciate, a do or die business decision but I feel like I'm being made a fool off with the way this is being shoved through our throats.

You can't in any shape or form guarantee this will speed us batch 1 pre orderers up as you are obviously in no financial position to say no to a 7 day customer if you have a unit to sell them. Quite the contrary, you should probably hope we get delayed bigtime as it will mean hard needed cash in your pocket. Which really is fine but just don't pretend it's otherwise.

You had already made the decision before you put the post up. Which really is fine just don't pretend it's otherwise.

People don't pre-order just to be last to get something. There is a certain logic in that statement wouldn't you agree?

Once again to be completely clear. If you need to do this to survive it's fine and I agree it's a good idea but you could've been honest about it so we could feel good about it instead of having this pit in my stomach feeling I'm getting messed around with.

So you are ok with waiting longer for your pandora in order to maintain pre-order exclusivity? To what purpose?

Ninja'd me there. :rolleyes:

edited to give kudo's for the :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:

See:

Some may have missed it. Craig made the statement that these parts would just come from batch 2. It still doesn't seem ideal, but if this is true, at least it doesn't delay the guys who've stuck with the team for 2 years. Hopefully there isn't such a rash of orders that it puts OpenPandora in the position of having to decide to ship to the guys who got a committed X number of days order, or the guys who've been waiting.

If it doesn't delay *any* of the pre-orders at all, or only by a week or two, then it's just the feeling we get when somebody cuts in line at the movies. It doesn't really impact you that much, but it seems rude. I can live with rude if it means the Pandora thrives.

The fear is that a large number of these premium orders with committed ship dates could chew up the available parts, in which case if any of the component manufacturers don't live up to their current smooth sailing billing, could mean weeks or months of delays for people who've already put up with *A LOT* of delays, including the batch 2 folk. The fear is if they get a TON of these orders, it would impact even the batch 1 folk. Any gains in efficiency may make up for potential component delays for batch 2, but the batch 1 guys, especially those who're supposed to be in the next few rounds of shipping?

It just doesn't feel right to a lot of folk. A few will, understandably, blow off a bit of steam here.

After reading the whole thread, yes the whole thing I came to some conclusions:

Sure batch one has been waiting for +2years and finally production starts to smooth out but OPT is lacking funds. In order for them to "Survive" and continue making Pandora's and a future they need to step up and do something. They have been running on Our Pre-Order funds for years and the funds are starting to dwindle since the Pandora is costing more to produce than to sell. This 7 day order thing that the Team has come up with is a way for them to say alive and increase our community.

Bigger community = more software, more mods, more support, and more friends.

I believe the OPT is doing what they need to do to keep the Pandora alive and to help the Future. Sure there might be a little delay but who knows, the extra people working on building the Pandora's might save a lot of time. No one is a fortune teller but we all know that without this 7 day Pandora thing they made the Pandora's will come to a halt after Batch 2.

Please don't think of this news as a delay but as a way to increase our community and to help the OPT who has been at our sides doing all the dirty and hard work.

So from now on will the Pandora be 500$ US as the set price from now on? Or will their be a 350$ pre-order for batch 3??

Okay, is this how it is suppose to go if all the board and parts are available? If so I'm all for it.

pandora.png

Sure batch one has been waiting for +2years and finally production starts to smooth out but OPT is lacking funds. In order for them to "Survive" and continue making Pandora's and a future they need to step up and do something. They have been running on Our Pre-Order funds for years and the funds are starting to dwindle since the Pandora is costing more to produce than to sell. This 7 day order thing that the Team has come up with is a way for them to say alive and increase our community.

I believe the OPT is doing what they need to do to keep the Pandora alive and to help the Future. Sure there might be a little delay but who knows, the extra people working on building the Pandora's might save a lot of time. No one is a fortune teller but we all know that without this 7 day Pandora thing they made the Pandora's will come to a halt after Batch 2.

Please don't think of this news as a delay but as a way to increase our community and to help the OPT who has been at our sides doing all the dirty and hard work.
yep i read the whole thread earlier today and came to the same conclusions

I also agree.

I also agree.
I third the motion.

I also agree.
I third the motion.
I fourth it. Paying $$ more to make profitable for OPT and know that you will get in 7 days would just be great! Where do I sign up? :D

I also agree.
I third the motion.
I fourth it. Paying $$ more to make profitable for OPT and know that you will get in 7 days would just be great! Where do I sign up? :D
You can get your $500 Panda here!

Mmmm pyrmidey goodness...

I scrapped my "I scrapped my post" post(which I never posted).

But I do have a question: Will there also be a chance of employing some devs to improve the OS(I'm not hinting that you should employ me, or anything - zero sarcasm)? I doubt we'd have any money for that, but there really is NO harm done in a question, is there?

EDIT: Oh, damn it. Removed an edit.

EDIT4: WTF - it started _now_? *sigh*. I feel as confused - and helpless - as a blind, computer-illiterate grandmother given the Intel 80386 reference manual.

EDIT5: For a (much needed, probably) laugh, *actually* give your grandmother a copy of the 80386 reference manual. http://lmgtfy.com/?q="Intel+80386+reference+manual".

EDIT6: Nowhere near the hardest manual to ever read(neither are these >). For added flavor, strap the omap35xx ref manual, the VESA VBE standards and a few hundred datasheets to it, and print that. Then have a laugh at how much ink you just used, and how many trees you just killed.

Now I am excited! Is there any way we can see if the que for the $500 Pandoras has been filled? I may not be able to jump on that boat, but I would like to know if all of this buzz has generated some revenue for the OPT.

:lol:

Leaving aside all the rest of the debate, what confuses me the most right now is what people are actually buying when they pay for an express Pandora. What's the difference? Is it just a different sticker and a guaranteed 7-day delivery now? There was talk about paint jobs and customisation and things, but if it was resolved, I haven't a clue what the results were.

I'm asking because I'm debating upgrading to an express unit from a 1st-batch order, and am wondering exactly what I'd be getting if I did compared to where I am now. Anyone care to clarify?

---

On a separate note, I'd also just like to say that my conclusions also echo frostedfire's for the most part. The OP team has done something grand by making the Pandora a reality, and despite many mistakes, holdups, and problems, I feel my trust in them as a customer has been justified by two things; firstly, their belief in their product, something I feel is all too scarce nowadays; and two, the fact that they're still here, two years after the start, and have maintained an open (if at times muddled) communication line with virtually their entire customer base throughout the entire process. And they've ultimately seen their project through to release.

Although I myself still don't have one yet, I have not seen any device on the market that quite manages to outdo its unique feature set, even 2 years after it was first proposed. It's a bit dated now, but the design is still good, and uniquely suited to my needs; I've not seen anything I find better to date (and I have been looking). And least as important as the hardware - if not moreso - to me is the open nature of the device and OP's cooperative approach to hackers and developers alike. I very much want to see this design evolve in the future, and I think that Craig has been right to put this offer out for the sake of keeping the company going. He's still trying to keep his word to his long-standing customers while recognising that OP has to change its tactics if it's going to survive past the second batch of units, and I respect that, although I can understand how others may feel disgruntled by the recent change.

I suppose that's my two cents.

Leaving aside all the rest of the debate, what confuses me the most right now is what people are actually buying when they pay for an express Pandora. What's the difference? Is it just a different sticker and a guaranteed 7-day delivery now? There was talk about paint jobs and customisation and things, but if it was resolved, I haven't a clue what the results were.

I'm asking because I'm debating upgrading to an express unit from a 1st-batch order, and am wondering exactly what I'd be getting if I did compared to where I am now. Anyone care to clarify?

I'm with you, I am totally lost about all this. It's like Craig set the timer on a tactical forum nuke and ran!

:D

This is a total madhouse :lol:

After volcanoes, 2 years of delays, burning cars, and finally crazy que hopping I feel that nothing else can possibly go wrong.

But in saying that I feel I have doomed us all...

Okay, is this how it is suppose to go if all the board and parts are available? If so I'm all for it.

<Thumbnail>

I think not, simply because your representation implies that the new workers would only be working on the 7-day units. As far as Craig has explained it, ALL workers will be working on ALL units, in a production-line style, thereby increasing the production speed by >2x.

Also, what order they will be done in (e.g. preorders:instant) has not been made public, though I believe Craig will keep the numbers sensible enough that the number of preorders built would be greater than they would have been without the extra money and labour.

Back