Instant Pandora with a premium?

I really don't see being happy with a device as kissing someones ass.

also

Because it's gone from people feeling like they have contributed to the project, to feeling like they have been used for the past 2 years that's why.

I think its a little naive to consider having a pre-order as contributing to the project. If it wasn't you it would have been someone else. All pre-orderers were in it for a dirt cheap device that was extraordinarily capable. Contributing to the project is working on software or doing something integral to the design and manufacture of the device. Can you really say that buying a Nintendo DS really contributed to the DS project?

I bought a pandora too and would have to be being pretty ridiculous if I thought my contribution made it happen, especially when so many people were there willing to take my place if necessary. Why should a company not do what they need to do or want to do to survive? This is just as retarded as the time people got up in arms about a small number of review units being made ahead of their pre-order. All these things would ultimately benefit the device.

There is no law being broken and again, like the previous thread on GP2X this all comes down to whatever your opinion of Right, Wrong, Good and Evil are. You went on and on about "doing the right thing" and really the right thing is entirely subjective. Is the right thing getting you your unit ahead of other people? Is it keeping the company afloat by providing more money and the ability to get the units out faster? Is Craig evil because he puts up with less s**t from people than EvilDragon? Am I a kiss ass for not falling into your line? Its entirely subjective and the sooner you stop stressing yourself and others out over something that is just happening the better. If you don't like it then either do something about or or don't but don't march around the internet preaching about your idea of how wrong it is.

Because it's gone from people feeling like they have contributed to the project, to feeling like they have been used for the past 2 years that's why. Why should people not complain about that just to make new users on the boards feel better?

It didn't get crazy on the other forum, it just wasn't worth arguing with people who were only regurgitating the crap that OpenPandora had said. After 4 pages of the same stuff it got a little boring. Which ever way you look at it OpenPandora broke the law and people have a right to complain if they want to.

I'll no doubt get the same amount of enjoyment out of the Pandora when it arrives but that doesn't mean that I should kiss Craigs arse and act like every things peachy does it?

Ok guys Lets be sensible here Please.

I'm a late first batcher, I will be waiting until my Pandora arrives regardless as its undoubtedly Awesome. However people have the right to ask questions and anyone trying to stop the person asking these questions just comes across like an ass. If someone wants to ask a question, however stupid it may seem or however many times it has been asked before. Why can't a nice member of the community just answer it to the best of their ability? If you cant answer it dont answer it, but also dont moan about the person asking it. Its Rude. Not everyone has the time to spend checking forums and they dont want to keep emailing OpenPandora for answers. So answering the questions as nicely as possible helps the whole thing run smoothly. Personally i think the 7 day pandy thing is a little bit naughty as essentialy people are queue jumping and it simply is not fair. Legal? I dont care. I just want the project to be successful. I fully support it if it is needed to keep the project alive and/or speeds up production. Essentialy if keeping the project alive is an issue, then its the only issue and if 7 day premium orders helps, then do it. That does not change the fact that OpenPandora could be more Open with regards to updates on progress. A simple weekly update on the dev blog section on the homepage would stop most of the moaning. I know you guys are busy but it would be worth it. And it would be great for new customers to see progress wthout looking through these forums. Its what I looked at regularly before I decided to order. You know how many Pandoras you have shipped. Just some simple rough figures weekly pls.

Remember guys, dont impede peoples freedom to speak thier mind, even if you think they are an idiot. If you want to stop people saying things you dont like or disagree with then your the one with the issue.

Carry on with the hard work guys, project is still awesome.

Isn't also rude not to check the news section or use the search button?

Also constantly asking the same questions which have been answered to the best of the abilities of OPT, isn't considered rude?

In my opinion, no that is not rude

Also constantly asking the same questions which have been answered to the best of the abilities of OPT, isn't considered rude?

In my opininon, also this is not rude, and if members of the community can answer questions then it takes pressure off OPT. But good points.

In my opininon, also this is not rude, and if members of the community can answer questions then it takes pressure off OPT. But good points.

I agree with you in the bit where the community can help take pressure of by simply answering. But I also think an answer that consists of simple a link to the news section is good enough.

We're not a bunch of children here, if it's answered in the obvious place where you should look first you shouldn't have to ask in another thread.

If the answer has already been giving in an other topics thread about the latest Bruce Willis movie I understand you asking it again.

I agree with you in the bit where the community can help take pressure of by simply answering. But I also think an answer that consists of simple a link to the news section is good enough.

We're not a bunch of children here, if it's answered in the obvious place where you should look first you shouldn't have to ask in another thread.

If the answer has already been giving in an other topics thread about the latest Bruce Willis movie I understand you asking it again.

Agreed a simple link does the job, and will stop a lot of pointless emails to OPT.

...all people can think about is that his will just get sold for more money anyway. Short term gain FTW.

Not all people. This was just a simple, sarcastic comment from one guy.

@tuxbrain: Would you consider not canceling if you wouldn't have to pay for a "premium" upgrade? PM me...
No, enough is enough, this project is doomed, it's just a bubble some day will explode, common they are selling a third batch without full served the first one!, even worst, they are serving first that third buyers due they pay more!!! what will happens with the guys of the second batch, they will ask for a $1000 supermegapremium order? served in two days? They are just financially broken and they are just increasing his debt, but instead of using a bank they are using you , users and believers, but I'm not a believer any more, I had understood that the first units are prioritized to devels, that's fine with me, I had understood that they where searching for the finest quality materials and most rigorous test so I had understood the delays, the mistakes... etc...but that last craig movement is just a desperate need of money income, that I also can understand but that someone else just by paying more, has his pandora first than one guy, not me, whatever guy ,that has been waiting for two year!!! oh my good! TWO YEARS!!! and see how another one lucky guy with more economical resources to have it first... is more than I can handle, please don't reply that this is for having mine faster... if is not faster enough to be delivered a year before in the past is not faster enough , they will still delivered late and with 100 people before that will have one first just waiting 7 days.

I want my money back now, before the whole bubble explode and directly there is no way to have my money back. No excuses, no delays, I want my money and I want it now.

Well if you want out you can do that. To keep the project alive some things may have to happen that you don't like. (queue jumping) But at least you still get a Pandora at the end even if it takes a very long time.

No, enough is enough, this project is doomed, it's just a bubble some day will explode, common they are selling a third batch without full served the first one!, even worst, they are serving first that third buyers due they pay more!!! what will happens with the guys of the second batch, they will ask for a $1000 supermegapremium order? served in two days? They are just financially broken and they are just increasing his debt, but instead of using a bank they are using you , users and believers, but I'm not a believer any more, I had understood that the first units are prioritized to devels, that's fine with me, I had understood that they where searching for the finest quality materials and most rigorous test so I had understood the delays, the mistakes... etc...but that last craig movement is just a desperate need of money income, that I also can understand but that someone else just by paying more, has his pandora first than one guy, not me, whatever guy ,that has been waiting for two year!!! oh my good! TWO YEARS!!! and see how another one lucky guy with more economical resources to have it first... is more than I can handle, please don't reply that this is for having mine faster... if is not faster enough to be delivered a year before in the past is not faster enough , they will still delivered late and with 100 people before that will have one first just waiting 7 days.

I want my money back now, before the whole bubble explode and directly there is no way to have my money back. No excuses, no delays, I want my money and I want it now.

I see what you mean. I, personally, do not agree with that way of thinking. But it's your head and your choice.

Just email the team and I'm sure you'll get your money back fast.

Which ever way you look at it OpenPandora broke the law and people have a right to complain if they want to.

Uhm... What? :mellow: Please excuse me if I come across uneducated, but I wasn't aware anything illegal has been undertaken by OP...?
Sometime in the last 15 years when the Internet started to become more popular for on-line shopping, companies started taking pre-orders for things like books etc. There was a big blow up about it at the time and I think it was actually Amazon that got a load of grief for it.

Basically they took pre-orders for things that they didn't have in stock. When the stuff finally arrived in stock, instead of shipping it straight off to the people who had pre-ordered it, they sent a load out to new customers. Just after for one reason or another their suppliers went dry for a while, and because a lot of people who pre-ordered didn't get the stuff that they had paid for whilst new customers got theirs it all kicked off.

New laws were brought into play to safe guard customers who pre-order goods on-line. I can't remember the exact legal jargon but it pretty much came down to companies have to satisfy all pre-orders before they can start or resume normal business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you want out you can do that. To keep the project alive some things may have to happen that you don't like. (queue jumping) But at least you still get a Pandora at the end even if it takes a very long time.
They could have gone about it a better way than they did. They didn't even put it up on the official website for crying out load. It was a huge milestone for the project, don't you think it's something that they should have celebrated at least a bit?

Tuxbrain's right, they're still trying to do this without getting into debt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which ever way you look at it OpenPandora broke the law and people have a right to complain if they want to.

Uhm... What? :mellow: Please excuse me if I come across uneducated, but I wasn't aware anything illegal has been undertaken by OP...?
Sometime in the last 15 years when the Internet started to become more popular for on-line shopping, companies started taking pre-orders for things like books etc. There was a big blow up about it at the time and I think it was actually Amazon that got a load of grief for it.

Basically they took pre-orders for things that they didn't have in stock. When the stuff finally arrived in stock, instead of shipping it straight off to the people who had pre-ordered it, they sent a load out to new customers. Just after for one reason or another their suppliers went dry for a while, and because a lot of people who pre-ordered didn't get the stuff that they had paid for whilst new customers got theirs it all kicked off.

New laws were brought into play to safe guard customers who pre-order goods on-line. I can't remember the exact legal jargon but it pretty much came down to companies have to satisfy all pre-orders before they can start or resume normal business.

Yes of course you are correct, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract

...all people can think about is that his will just get sold for more money anyway. Short term gain FTW.

Not all people. This was just a simple, sarcastic comment from one guy.

@tuxbrain: Would you consider not canceling if you wouldn't have to pay for a "premium" upgrade? PM me...

I am curious : did you get your money back ?

350 US$ in 2010 was a steal. 500 US$ dollars in 2011 is not a good deal IMO unless you are a die-hard enthusiast who cannot live without exactly this product. The niche has narrowed significantly and it continues to narrow progressively as the Caanoo gets cheaper (around 1/3 the price of a Pandora right now) and unlocked high-end phones capable of emulating remarkably well are already not that much more expensive any more. They are also mini-computers.

I wish you guys had priced it at 500 US$ (~300 GBP) from the beginning. I'd have my Pandora right now and I wouldn't have canceled my pre-order. If I had found about this when it happened instead of this week, it could have been different, too.

I think you should start promoting other uses as well, like SSH administration usage and the like. More "enterprisey" uses, because this machine is very expensive for a retro gaming toy. With its screen, it can do screencasts on the go perfectly fine and you can also try stuff at the same time (I was thinking in developing a programming tutorial platform when I got one). You'd be able to do this kind of thing while in the tube or the bus, which you can't really with a netbook as it's very uncomfortable.

Anyway, I hope you guys pull this off. Good luck.

Back