Instant Pandora with a premium?

2 questions

how much extra would a 1st batch preorderer have to pay to get on the 7 day one?

And could they get the 1st batch stamp model rather than have to get the new custom one?

1 more for luck...

I read loads of these posts but still don't know what this new custom one is exactly, it's got a red case, missing the 1st batch stamp, what else?

2 questions

how much extra would a 1st batch preorderer have to pay to get on the 7 day one?

And could they get the 1st batch stamp model rather than have to get the new custom one?

1 more for luck...

I read loads of these posts but still don't know what this new custom one is exactly, it's got a red case, missing the 1st batch stamp, what else?
I think they will be regular pandoras with a different sticker.E-mail and ask about upgrading at salea@openpandora.org.Some other people have.

Actually it doesn't seem like there's anything special with it just yet other than a (to be announced) label in the battery nook-thing in place of first batch stickers. But seriously, I'd totally feel that this would be worth it if it had a custom color, and the color (although a little darker, like I mentioned) I pointed out on the first page seems to be a pretty popular choice judging by those that commented on it.

But as of right now.. there's not much special to it just yet.

I have have to jump on the boat with benji_stein though. You NEED to make sure these 7 day orders are %100 on time. I will cancel my order if this is not upheld. I will take it as a sign of fraud on the part of the company if this is not upheld to the letter.

If simple honesty is not upheld I no longer want to be part of this community.

That wasn't the take-home message, at all. It was "the 7-dayers need to get made on extra time, after the week's quota of preorders are done" and "don't oversell on how many you can produce", with the latter taking into account the former.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had said that. That is my own position. I simply meant that I agree with your statements and in addition to your statements, I feel that if they cannot keep their word I feel this is to much to take.

If people are getting "suckered" into making $500 preorders which are not being honored in the stated time period I will not stand for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As it's been explained we have these options:

Do it:

All preorders shipped sooner.

Continued existance of OPT.

Bigger community = more software.

Don't do it.

All preorders shipped at current rate (assuming funds don't run out completely).

No more pandoras.

Smaller community = dead platform

Seems fairly irrational to support scrapping the idea. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'm far from convinced that all preorders will be shipped sooner. <His> Pandora was supposed to be the next one sent out. But there's a 7-dayer, in line, too. Who gets it? Doesn't seem straightforward to me.

The facts are simple.Openpandora need money.If they disappear =no pandoras.To say craig is lying is silly.If this is what they have to do to survive then so be it.Obviously all the openpandora team agreed to this,not just craig.

Yes, they do. There are many ways to raise more money. They've talked about investing. We've talked about merchandise. I'm not saying that Craig is lying. I'm saying we're missing a lot of details about the process, because he hasn't given them to us. And from the facts we have right now, I don't think there's enough information to say it's a good thing. No, I don't want OPT to disappear. But if doing this means I'm going to have to wait two more months instead of two weeks (who knows?), then I think there needs to be another way to do it.

Actually it doesn't seem like there's anything special with it just yet other than a (to be announced) label in the battery nook-thing in place of first batch stickers. But seriously, I'd totally feel that this would be worth it if it had a custom color, and the color (although a little darker, like I mentioned) I pointed out on the first page seems to be a pretty popular choice judging by those that commented on it.

So when my battery dies and I buy a replacement, which kind do I get?

How do I tell which kind of *unit* I got?

If I buy a 7-dayer, and a spare battery, can I get one of each?

Eh, nevermind, I noticed Craig suggests they'd come out of batch 2. I guess that's something for people in batch 2 to have an opinion on. If it doesn't affect the first batch, I have no comment.
How can they come out of batch 2, if they don't have enough parts for batch 1? Face facts. They're really coming out of batch 1, and you're getting pushed back.

Errmm... we don't have?

All the parts for Pandora PCBs of Batch 1 are lying in Texas.

All the parts for Pandora PCBs of Batch 2 are lying in Texas.

All the cases for Pandora Batch 1 have already been produced, 1000 are on the way via ship already.

1000 cases for Pandora Batch 2 have already been produced, the remaining ones will start after CNY.

So... ermm...?

I agree benji_stein, this is all to weird for me. I feel that this is a very odd move for a company to make. I have never heard of anything like this when it comes to raising funds when a company needs liquidity. :/ This move is very disconcerting, and while it does not seem to be outright negative, it seems very strange.

I'm far from convinced that all preorders will be shipped sooner. <His> Pandora was supposed to be the next one sent out. But there's a 7-dayer, in line, too. Who gets it? Doesn't seem straightforward to me.
Craigx said they could more then double the output. This means that all they have to do is ship one pre-ordered unit for every 7-day ordered unit and everybody wins. It's not rocket science.

@benji_stein That is the post I was referring to, though it is fairly evident that too many would be the point where they cannot meet the 7 day guarantee. Granted I am assuming, but I think it is a safe assumption.

Errmm... we don't have?

All the parts for Pandora PCBs of Batch 1 are lying in Texas.

All the parts for Pandora PCBs of Batch 2 are lying in Texas.

All the cases for Pandora Batch 1 have already been produced, 1000 are on the way via ship already.

1000 cases for Pandora Batch 2 have already been produced, the remaining ones will start after CNY.

So... ermm...?

I am tired of hearing these kinds of posts. The ones where the people on the forums are supposed to know the inner workings of the company. When Where there is speculation it is because of the OPT's inability to properly inform their customers. Not everyone has the ability to scan the forums all day long and keep up with every thread.

Edit: If you want us to understand the moves you are making you need to inform us properly. I love this company and I am greatly pained that you are having so many problems.

So when my battery dies and I buy a replacement, which kind do I get?

How do I tell which kind of *unit* I got?

If I buy a 7-dayer, and a spare battery, can I get one of each?

Eh? Oh, no, I don't mean that the label (if any) on the battery itself is any different. The little space where you insert the battery case is what I meant. I'm sure you've seen the location of those batch one stickers in video reviews, right? That's what I'm talking about.

I just really hope there's more to it then a small change like that though, you know? That's not really a very good incentive to buy one of these units. I mean, I suppose that a special product run like this is a good deal for new customers, but not for anyone still in the queue. But that could be a good thing though, depending on how you look at it.

Craigx said they could more then double the output. This means that all they have to do is ship one pre-ordered unit for every 7-day ordered unit and everybody wins. It's not rocket science.
exactly and benji stein getting worked up wont change the facts.If ed and craig say this is necesarry it is.It has happeneed so no use crying over spilled milk.

So if OP gets 1000 orders for the $500 units today ,

then all the people that were due to gets their Pandoras

in the next week or so are S.O.L - thats how i see it

They said there might be a limit on how many 7 dayers are available though.

So just read this on en-gadget and jumped here to check out what is going on.

So I paid $450/ USD Two years ago for my Pandora and still waiting.

I can pay extra to get my Pandora now, or anyone else can.

So no more Pandora's selling for high prices on Ebay as anyone can by one now for $500/-

So it really devalues my two year investment and wait.

Plus I am sure It is going to push the delivery or batch1 down, we will have to wait longer where are these extra Pandora's going to come from, shouldn't people who have been waiting and supporting this project for years receive theirs.

May be I should get my MONEY BACK! with interest of two years

We wait and support you for two years and you are going to give My Pandora to someone else for a higher price and push me down.

I can buy now at a premium or just wait for God knows how much longer.

:angry: so far I have been happy to support but I think If I get pushed down the line I want my Money back

update: so starting to read more.. if the extra OPs are going to come from batch 2, how will this work? batch 1 isn't finished yet. how can you deliver it in 7 days? when will this start? after batch 1 is delivered. My OP will never be worth more then $500 now.

I know the thread is quite long and peppered with small bits of information in between long bouts of useless posts (both positive and negative). I mean 'useless' as in 'not being from an official statement' or whatever.

Let me try to clarify... Since the OP team have posted this, they've got a pretty little influx of cash, right? That means they can rehire a few people from the last production run and speed up production. They can go even faster by forming a sort of assembly line, which they can do a lot more efficiently with five or so people. Let's say that they produce something like (totally random number here) 25 Pandora units a day. With these new people and new assembly method, they could produce 60 Pandora units a day. They could double production for batch one and still product ten or so Pandora units for those 7-day shippers. Sure, it's not as good as making a full 60 units a day, but it's a hell of a lot better than 25, right?

The parts for these new units though would probably pretty hard to get. I would think that right now they'd come from the ass-end of batch one, but when CC speeds up production of the Pandora units, or if they start shipping more frequently, a small portion of those units will be used, and that supply will be refreshed by another shipment of PCBs/cases before any delay is noticed.

But you may be absolutely right- there could be a delay in shipping a few batch one units if there's a problem with shipping, for example. In that case, I'd think the seven-day premium orders will get priority. There's no way around that, because seven days means seven days. But I think that the delay in assembly won't be noticed because units for both production lines will still be shipping.

My family is already hesitant about the whole Open Pandora Project and feel like I threw my money down a hole. After about a year they were questioning me if I was scammed or not. I have showed them proof and videos but they still seem a little weary. I feel that requesting ~$200 to skip the queue would drive my family to the edge. Yes I am a 19 year old guy who goes to community college and still has to ask my mom to use her credit card for online purchases so I can't just sneak the $200 with my own credit card. So since the 7 day orders are out of the question for me I feel that they will just make my wait even longer. With limited supply already how are you going to make hundreds of Pandoras in 7 days? If you can make hundreds within 7 days why not do it NOW for the PREORDERS who have waited years? Not too sure what you can do to make profits, maybe raise the price and just keep the preorder thing until you can stock up on Pandoras to sell instantly. Not too sure but I just don't want to wait months and months when my pandora should be arriving not too long. (I am in 3100-3200 range)

So just read this on en-gadget and jumped here to check out what is going on.

So I paid $450/ USD Two years ago for my Pandora and still waiting.

I can pay extra to get my Pandora now, or anyone else can.

So no more Pandora's selling for high prices on Ebay as anyone can by one now for $500/-

So it really devalues my two year investment and wait.

Plus I am sure It is going to push the delivery or batch1 down, we will have to wait longer where are these extra Pandora's going to come from, shouldn't people who have been waiting and supporting this project for years receive theirs.

May be I should get my MONEY BACK! with interest of two years

We wait and support you for two years and you are going to give My Pandora to someone else for a higher price and push me down.

I can buy now at a premium or just wait for God knows how much longer.

:angry: so far I have been happy to support but I think If I get pushed down the line I want my Money back
they are going to use the extra money from 500 dollar pandoras to hire more people to speed up the assembly for batch 1.This in theory means you should get your pandora earlier.

The majority of people thought it was a good idea.One or two people disagreed.The pandora is now available to purchase,no preorders.

Well, that's not really what I meant either. I assumed there'd be people both for and against it. I guess I should just bite the bullet and read the damn thread, rather than expecting people to provide me with cliff notes. I'll probably check it out when I have more time tomorrow.

Anyway, in the meantime I did read Benji_Stein's grande deluxe post up there, and it seems to address a lot of things that came to mind for me when I read the first couple of pages this morning. Since he says he read the whole thread, I guess I probably didn't miss much.

Basically, though, I don't think this will work. I don't buy that it will really speed up production, and based on the information provided by OPT so far it seems like if they get past the assembly bottleneck, they'll just bump up against another bottleneck. The board manufacture still hasn't came anywhere near meeting their own production estimates, and there's still cases puttering across the ocean.

If OPT really wants to speed up production with the extra cash they might get from this, they should put it towards hedging their bets with alternative suppliers, since unreliable suppliers has been the number one problem with this project.

I'm also curious how this is supposed to be marketed. Will it actually be advertised as "guaranteed 7 day delivery"? Because, that doesn't really mean anything. Not to be a dick, but OPT used that word up when they didn't deliver batch 2 by Christmas. It's useless now. I guess they could try "super duper, ultra guaranteed (for real this time)", but what happens when it takes 2 weeks, instead of one? Or Two Months? Will people just shrug it off as another missed deadline? (edit: I see now that this is already happening, and the word "guaranteed" didn't make an appearance on the order page, but I think you get my point)

Back