1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Important color changes

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Dec 25, 2017.

1. ible

ible Advanced Guard Tower

Thrice in CA, twice in ND, once in the NL
  2. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Hm, according to September, October, November, and December the year should start with March. What am I missing?

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Ah, sorry, yes! It's the TWL6037 :)
    That's what happens when you post it without checking the schematics...

As far as I know, the OMAP5 is constantly being regulated by the PALMAS (via a communication line, if I'm not mistaken).
    The DDR is directly connected to the OMAP5 (even the power), and I'm not sure whether that's even regulated or whether it is just set to one fixed value.
    I THINK it's the latter one, as we can set the voltage via software.

The RAM just needs something between a minimum and maximum voltage and will work.

The simulation is pretty accurate, no worries about that.
    The IBIS files and all other information from the chip manufacturers usually include such tolerances. It wouldn't help much if you simulated everything knowing it still might not work :)

Juliano and Nikolaus might be able to tell you more about all that, I'm no expert here, I'm trying to understand everything as well. :)

As far as I know, the tolerance limits are ON TOP of the voltages, so 1.283V +/- tolerance is the lowest voltage the RAM HAS to work.
    Don't forget: We already have some CPU boards that work with 4GB RAM even though the simulated voltage drop on our current CPU board goes down to about 1.13V (AFAIR correctly)

Important to remember: The given tolerances and voltages for DDR means: They HAVE to work with that setup!
    So the manufacturer has to make sure these settings work - and as they also have tolerances in production, they have to widen that margin as well, so RAM will work with less power than needed.

And: We can ADJUST the voltage. So we could easily increase the voltage to 1.36V or 1.37V if need be. But the old PCB still had a too high drop for that.

drock and ClockworkCoder like this.
  4. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Happy pyra year increment!

5. FBnil

FBnil Guess I'll wait 2 more months.

You are missing the fact that a certain roman was going to be emperor at the start of certain year. Because he wanted to be emperor NOW, he decreed the year started 2 MONTHS earlier.

In 45 B.C., New Year's Day is celebrated on January 1 for the first time in history as the Julian calendar takes effect. Soon after becoming Roman dictator, Julius ...

Kev2442, Djoga'Ro and Gremblo like this.
  6. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

@FBnil thank for the info. Did he leave the Months names on purpose to confuse me or did he just not care leaving such half-baked shit behind?

rygD likes this.
  7. Gremblo

Gremblo Hi, how was your day?

Happy new year everyone!
    :happy:

ClockworkCoder likes this.
  8. levi

Apparently, the Romans claimed they used to have 10 months, but by the time the roman republic came about, they'd added january and february to bring them up to 12, and they set the months to be fixed lengths, rather than just happening when the church decided a new month had started.

None of it is Julius's fault either. Apparently, Quintilis and Sextilis were already months 7 and 8 before they got renamed to July and August. And it wasn't Julius who renamed Quintilis as July, that was Mark Anthony who did it after his death. Sextilis was renamed August during Augustus's watch though, although there was at least a referendum about it.

Julius did introduce leap years in place of an occasional 23 day month that got squeezed in between February and March that they had been using. It's only partially his fault that the priests couldn't count and put in a leap day every three years instead of every four, which only got spotted by Augustus later on.

Kev2442, FBnil, rygD and 3 others like this.
  9. Letalis Sonus

Letalis Sonus Very Active Member

It is noteworthy but less known that our Gregorian calendar has more rules to determine the existence of a leap day than "every 4 years" compared to the Julian one: Every year that starts a new century does not have a leap day, unless it is dividable by 400. The last year that was excluded from the 4-years-rule was 1900, the next one will be 2100.

Kev2442, FBnil, rygD and 4 others like this.
  10. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

Thanks agaon for the info. This is quite enjoyable.
    So now that we're two millennia in, could we please change those Latin numeral's and their derivatives' semantics after the fact. We'd then also have to change the number of limbs the octopi get, of course. Poor octopi.

Kev2442, FBnil and rygD like this.
  11. levi

Surely it's easier to learn that if you see a word ending in 'ber' it means add two?

Certainly easier than relearning the last months of the year as November, December, Hendecember and Dodecember.

Edit: Actually, maybe month 11 should be undecember, not hendecember, since months come from latin not greek.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    rygD likes this.
  12. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

I was more about Sept-- for nine, Oct-- for ten and so on.

13. error

error Active Member

But octopodes come from Greek, not Latin.

levi, rygD and ClockworkCoder like this.
  14. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

@error All Oct-- must be ten. We don't want to create a new confusion, do we.

levi, error and rygD like this.
  15. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Very Active Member

You're about to screw with decimal now.

Please, some Pyra news. Anything, to stop this madness!

FBnil, Kev2442, levi and 1 other person like this.
  16. peb

peb Still Fresh

OK,
    wonderful news (and yes, all the best for 2018 to all of you, especially EvilDragon!).

Does this news have a chance to translate in an update on the project plan, aka shipping timelines?

my Pandora is still running strong, but nevertheless I'm eager to get my Pyra :)

peb

FBnil likes this.
  17. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Retreaux

I'd estimate about two months.

FBnil and ible like this.
  18. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

I am waiting for the day that ED comes in bald and wearing a lab coat and says "Good news, everyone!". I have a feeling that post is coming soonish.

FBnil, Kev2442 and ClockworkCoder like this.
  19. Wally

Wally TrashyMG's worst nightmare Staff Member

Don't forget the thick glasses.

FBnil likes this.
  20. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

I want him to be able to see, though. Unless he needs really thick glasses. And a hunchback. And liver spots.