I Just Got My Gp2x!!!

g4m3r posted on Jul 3 2006 at 10:40 AM said:
So I guess you didn't like the GP2X, darkman :p

I played Blazing Star today until the batteries gave out. When I took them out they were very warm. I have 8 2500 nAh NIMH batteries that I have been constantly rotating through the charger since I got the GP2X. I am very excited about this thing! It is retro heaven! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I just *ordered* my gp2x and I was wondering if you HAVE to have an SD card to save anything. Does it have any built in storage?

awesome :) I just spent 195 USD (including shipping) so I doubt I will have any money left to buy an SD card for a while ;)

Yeah the first day I got mine I didn't have a card, but you have about 32MB of space to use and it comes with a Vektor demo.

Hi all,

I am new here, just got my GP2x (MK2, for 150 euro) this weekend, I only have a 8MB SD, and it's damn small, so I just ordered 2x2GB Transcend SD (I can get them for rather good price).

I have tried snes and mame and it's looking great, I am so happy

xming

evilmegaman posted on Jul 4 2006 at 02:47 PM said:
awesome :) I just spent 195 USD (including shipping) so I doubt I will have any money left to buy an SD card for a while ;)

You want an SD card! No matter how small to do anything. You may not want to mess with your NAND memory that much.

I Just got my GP2X !!! (Another initial impressions report)

I regularly put videos on MMC's to play in my Nokia 770, however the 770 hs no provision for video out. The GP2X looked like a cool, inexpensive, linux-based way to play the videos on a TV screen.

I must say that I am initially happy with the GP2X, but I did have some problems. Here are some initial tests I did:

1. Pop a RS-MMC with an AVI file encoded for the 770 into the MMC extender, and then in to the GP2X.
Result: Played just as good as on the 770 with no problems. The screen is great. Have not tried re-encoding the source in higher res specifically for the GP2X.
2. Hook It up to the TV, and play the same file.
Result: There is a problem with the TV-OUT Cable. I have to hold the leads comming out of it a certain way for it to work. I dissasembled the cable, and found the construction to be terrible. Very poor hand soldering, and inadequately shrunk heat-shrink tubing. I am an expirienced solderer, and was able to improve some solder joints, and shrink some of the tubing. This improved it, but totally rebuilding the cable may be necessary.
Also, in my opinion, the S-Video connector should be female, like the RCA connections. Thus male-male cables can be used between the pig tail and the monitor as is normally done.
Other than the hardware issues, TV-OUT playback was fine. Again, I plan to re-perform this test with a higher quality source.
3. Download some native games and try them.
In encountered another hardware problem here. See below.
Other than that, installing games to the MMC (via a card reader that is built into my PC) was problem free, and the games I tried look pretty cool.
4. MAME
I Installed MAME, and tried a few ROMS I already had (for my Nokia N-GAGE QD). The both worked fine, but in this quick initial test, sound did not work on the 2 I tried. The GP2X's screen sure beats those on most mobile phones !!!

In addition to the very poor quality TV-Out pigtail, I also appearently recieved a bad USB cable. No matter what I did, I could not get anything to mount over USB. I tailed my logs (I run FC 4 on the desktop), and nothing at all happened when I connected and started USB Mode. I also tried on a Mac.
I then used the cable from my Nokia 770 (They are the same connector), and I was able to mount the NAND on my desktop immediately. I then tried the card, and it too mounted without problem. cat cable > trash

I think GPH really needs to work on thier cable quality control.

Other than that I am impressed with the unit, and I am sure it will suit my needs.

I got an SD card yesterday and my gp2x arrived today! :D So what should I do with it? I have tried squidgesnes (which was slow) and dr mavaldo or whatever. Any games or emus and ROMs I should give a shot? thanks :)

evilmegaman posted on Jul 6 2006 at 07:28 PM said:
I have tried squidgesnes (which was slow)

Make sure you have v0.37c with both the MMU hack and pepone's optional autoframeskip. Then write an overclock script (check the threads in the help forum) and you'll be playing most games at fullspeed with sound :)

Other stuff to check out:

Vektar
Tilematch
Freedroid
Nethack
Sokoban
Ladykiller
Spout
Duke3D
Quake (overclock this one too)
hu6280 (PC Engine emulator)
Frodo & Vice (c64)
GNGeo
MAME!!!
UAE4ALL
OutcaST
RACE
Gnuboy
GPFCE

and everything else in the archive! Go nuts!

Got mine on Wednesday; just got around to writing a report!

On the whole, I like my GP2X and don't regret buying it, but there are a lot of disappointments with mine:

- USB cable was completely non-functional, so I had to use one the one that came with my camera.
- Absolutely will not mount my newly-purchased 1GB Sandisk SD Card, although Windows and Linux can access it fine. I have no idea what to do about this, as the guy I bought it from won't give refunds, just replacements. Anyone have any advice?
- Video-playing capabilities are greatly over-hyped, in my opinion - quite a few .avis and xvid files don't play, and some will play but not seek. Many other formats (like .mov, .wmv, and .flv) will not play at all. I'm impressed with its performance, though, especially on files that are too big for the screen :)
- Amazingly unstable USB networking - (un)plugging the cable carries with it a high probability of crashing the unit and necessitating a reboot.
- My particular unit won't overclock to 250MHz :(
- Just generally buggy and unstable - in the 6 or so hours I've been using it, I must have crashed it at least 40 times.

... and the good :)

- Linux! Telnetting into my handheld console is amazingly geeky.
- Many of the emulators look great - being able to play Turrican II on UAE4ALL almost flawlessly (not fast enough to have sound, though :( ) is entirely awesome! HU6280 is another top-notch one.
- Good media player performance.
- Haven't tested TV out yet, but it's a really neat feature.
- Nethack, Duke, Doom, Quake and, when I get the time, FreeCiv :)
- Ogg playback.

So generally I'm quite pleased, but I won't be recommending the unit to anyone else, I don't think. having said that, the hardware appears pretty sound, so maybe a lot of my complaints will be fixable via firmware updates.

GeneralZod posted on Jul 7 2006 at 03:47 PM said:
Got mine on Wednesday; just got around to writing a report!

On the whole, I like my GP2X and don't regret buying it, but there are a lot of disappointments with mine:

- USB cable was completely non-functional, so I had to use one the one that came with my camera.
That's a common problem. :(

- Absolutely will not mount my newly-purchased 1GB Sandisk SD Card, although Windows and Linux can access it fine. I have no idea what to do about this, as the guy I bought it from won't give refunds, just replacements. Anyone have any advice?
Hmm, I've never heard of SanDisk cards having issues. Which one is it?
- Video-playing capabilities are greatly over-hyped, in my opinion - quite a few .avis and xvid files don't play, and some will play but not seek. Many other formats (like .mov, .wmv, and .flv) will not play at all. I'm impressed with its performance, though, especially on files that are too big for the screen :)
Use PocketDiVx to convert your movies, using the iRiver template. It's worth it. There are a couple of guides to converting your DVDs and videos from the 'net floating around the forums here. :)
- Amazingly unstable USB networking - (un)plugging the cable carries with it a high probability of crashing the unit and necessitating a reboot.
Yeah, everyone here will tell you to get a card reader. It saves a lot of headaches.
- My particular unit won't overclock to 250MHz :(
Mine either. 243Mhz is the max for my unit.
- Just generally buggy and unstable - in the 6 or so hours I've been using it, I must have crashed it at least 40 times.
If you have a problem with a specific program, I'm sure someone can help. It shouldn't be randomly locking up unless the batteries are dead.

My $.02. :)

My USB cable was faulty too, but I wouldn't recommend using USB anyway.

I'm using a 1 gig SanDisk and haven't had any problems. :huh:
Not sure what your OS is, but I noticed among my own experiments that Win ME and below will not even notice that the GP2X is hooked up. XP picked it right up and so did Linux.
I prefer the card reader to the link. Once you use a card reader, you really don't even think of going back to the link.

LordFu posted on Jul 7 2006 at 10:15 PM said:
Hmm, I've never heard of SanDisk cards having issues. Which one is it?

Just a Sandisk 1 GB - I'm not sure what other details to provide, as they all look the same to me ;)

Use PocketDiVx to convert your movies, using the iRiver template. It's worth it. There are a couple of guides to converting your DVDs and videos from the 'net floating around the forums here. :)

I don't have a Windows install, unfortunately, but transcode will probably be up to the task! I'm more disappointed by the paucity of formats supported. Am I correct in stating that even standard MPEG's (i.e MPEG 1 and 2) won't play? I've tried renaming such files to .avi but I just get an "Unsupported format" error :(

Yeah, everyone here will tell you to get a card reader. It saves a lot of headaches.

Yeah, I've started doing that too :)

darkman posted on Jul 8 2006 at 07:35 AM said:
I'm using a 1 gig SanDisk and haven't had any problems. :huh:

I'm having an awful time with mine - see here for the full story!

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=29909

Back