Nickmon posted on May 19 2006 at 07:11 AM said:
hercule18 posted on May 19 2006 at 06:58 AM said:
Hi,

Vobbo has release to new released of his fabulous emu.the last is the 0.7
but the link on the site is wrong, so if you want to get it:

GP2X HU6280 Alpha 0.7

bye

herc. :ph34r:
Thought thats what i said...someone can readdddddddddddddddd..

:lol:

oups....sorry for double post.

bye

herc :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's again an increase of ~3fps on every games.
Every games running now between 48fps and 65fps @ 266Mhz.

Very good Vobbo. Keep it coming this way !
We need sound now for the real Pce gaming experience...

Thanks !

I mean why is the same eumlator as vobbo ported it for himself actually faster on the GP32? Is it because of OS overheads? If so then doesnt that mean that at 200mhz the GP2x has the same performance as the GP32 at 133mhz.

I wouldn't say Linux overhead is anything to worry about. If I do some number crunching on both processors (like my favourite - prime number searching), I find that both processors complete in almost identical timings. We know Linux doesn't even know the second processor is there, so the overhead must be almost zero on the 920 for it to get a time almost identical to the 940.

However, I have noticed that the gp32 does seem to be faster at several things compared to the gp2x at the same clock frequency. I've not done my prime number benchmark on the gp32 yet though - maybe I should, although I'm expecting the processors to be identical in performance, with just the architecture being different.

But the GP32 is just so 'leet' that it can defy physics! It calls for a completely new physical theory. 'GamePark Relativity' and 'Special GamePark Relativity' are now both required...

sam fisher posted on May 19 2006 at 11:53 AM said:
Why is it that the gp32 seems better speed wise?

Maybe because that was a finished emu, and this one is a week old?

Chill out :)

jeff

skeezix posted on May 20 2006 at 02:35 AM said:

jeff

I think he was refering to the Vobbos' same exact emu on the GP32 vs GP2X. It runs about the same speed but at 166 on the GP32 and 266 on the GP2X. The question is howcome the same exact code needs 100 MHz more on the GP2X to run the same as the Gp32 does.

Why I couldn't get any games working? It freezes when i select start in the option menu. I had to restart power off-on. Some of the roms only give me a black screen. L+R returns the romlist though. What can be the problem?

DaveC posted on May 20 2006 at 01:44 AM said:
skeezix posted on May 20 2006 at 02:35 AM said:

jeff

I think he was refering to the Vobbos' same exact emu on the GP32 vs GP2X. It runs about the same speed but at 166 on the GP32 and 266 on the GP2X. The question is howcome the same exact code needs 100 MHz more on the GP2X to run the same as the Gp32 does.

Mmm, delicious crow :)

I dont' find there much of a speed difference, but a few have noticed it; I wouldn't wholly blame 'linux kernel' as its a different system.. is the bus as efficient, is the display chip fast, etc etc. The GP32 was off the shelf junk, nothing really fancy, but no OS... the 2X is pretty off the shelf as well. *shrug* Perhaps it depends on the operatoins being done or certain things making the OS busier... I certainly konw some things that run same speed on both.

One thing to note .. 'same code' could be the culprit; if that code is tuned for GP32, and run on another device then it makes sense to be 'at best' same speed on the alternate, but more likely 'less speed' by pound due to it being different.

But I wouldn't think the difference to be more than a few %..

ie: Reesy noted that for his SMS you need to go from 66 to 100 to get full speed, but thats likely because it is hard to run at 70, 76, 80, 86, etc to see where; is it actually 66 to 70, or 66 to 100?

All interesting stuff :p

jeff

Back