Hu6280 Alpha V0.5 Released

Cool we should set up a donation bounty for when the emu gets playable with sound. I have already pledged $40 for the criteria below, and if it is real good I may go to $50. That should be achievable as the GP32 did that (except saves).

"It has full stereo sound, it runs at least FS1(30 FPS) at 200 MHz with the sound, has saves, supports .zipped ROMs, runs 95% of the games with no glitches, has consistant speed (no speed fluctuations except the ones found in an actual PC-Engine)."

Anyone else interested in donations for this? While many devs say that donations arent wanted Vobbo has said that he welcomes them. So for that we should show that we are willing to reward him for his effort when the time comes. Even if you only can give $5.00 it is still something.

Common I know you want this :) :

PC-Engine screenshots

Wow, great work so far! If you can manage sound and get the same framerates, I'll be in paradise. Are you planning on a source release once you get things in order?

iignotus posted on May 17 2006 at 05:46 AM said:
Wow, great work so far! If you can manage sound and get the same framerates, I'll be in paradise. Are you planning on a source release once you get things in order?

Source code will be released if the donations flow in ;)

I`m currently maintaining 3 versions of this now, GP2X , GP32 and GIZMONDO!

Vobbo :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say you have done 40% in asm now, now have you managed to do only parts at a time, is your c code calling little asm routines to do just bits of it...

Was interested in how you was doing this out of interest..

thanks

vobbo posted on May 17 2006 at 12:36 AM said:
0.6 out... enjoy

Cool!

Vimacs posted on May 17 2006 at 01:40 AM said:
the language asm, arm is the architecture.
Craig knows his code vimacs...

vobbo posted on May 17 2006 at 08:40 AM said:
iignotus posted on May 17 2006 at 05:46 AM said:

Source code will be released if the donations flow in ;)

I`m currently maintaining 3 versions of this now, GP2X , GP32 and GIZMONDO!

Is asking for donations to get code a bit ruthless? Really? I suppose not :p

Nickmon posted on May 17 2006 at 10:45 AM said:
When you say you have done 40% in asm now, now have you managed to do only parts at a time, is your c code calling little asm routines to do just bits of it...

thanks

The easiest way to do this is having all the opcodes as seperate functions (the HuC6280 is a hacked 6502, so only has 256 opcodes). Then you can have a jump table that contains a pointer to each of the functions. All you have to do then is either point it at the C function, or at the asm function :)

You do get a speed penalty by doing so, but once you know all your asm routines work, you can easily optimize later.

Paradox posted on May 17 2006 at 07:11 AM said:
http://nfggames.com/games/pce/gallery/

wow didn't know PCE games looked so good. can someone name all these so i can get them? o_o

Ok. First, some of those games are CD-Rom2 (CD) or Super CD-Rom2 (SCD) games, and some are hucard games. I'll name the pics in order going from left to right. Ok here goes:
1. Air Buster 2. Atomic Robo Kid 3. Bomberman 94
4. Darius Plus 5.Coryoon 6.Final Soldier
7-12. Dracula X (SCD)
13. Gate of Thunder (SCD) 14. Psychic Storm (CD) 15. Rayxamber III (SCD)
16. Katoken 17. Terra Cresta 18. Super Star Soldier
19. Spriggan (CD) 20. Sun Heart 21. Strip Fighter
22-24. Street Fighter II CE
25. Tiger Road 26. Chase HQ 27. Outlive
28-29. Parodius 30. Bonk 3 (there's a HU card and SCD version of this game)
31-32. Ai Cho Aniki (SCD) 33. Naxzyr (SCD)
34-35. R-Type
36. R-Type II 37. Mr Heli
38. Ninja Spirit 39. Horror Story (SCD)
40. Bomberman 94 Special (SCD) This one I'm not 100% sure but pretty sure.

I'm still looking for a (near) perfect PCE emulator, one that uses CUE sheets for CD games, if this one gets there I will definately donate towards it.

Roll on the updates!!! :D

There isn't one yet for the GP2X. I think Vobbo is working on it just using standard ISO's without all the mp3 toc stuff. I hope so cause even though it saves space it is a pain to backup your cd's like that. I had to do it with the pc-engine emulator on the psp. I do know MagicEngine for PC and Mac (i think there might be a linux version) will do bin/cue files, but you have to mount it with a virtual cd drive. You have to buy that emulator but it's only 15 bucks and has Arcade Card support and Super Gfx.

Squidge posted on May 17 2006 at 01:34 PM said:
Nickmon posted on May 17 2006 at 10:45 AM said:

thanks

The easiest way to do this is having all the opcodes as seperate functions (the HuC6280 is a hacked 6502, so only has 256 opcodes). Then you can have a jump table that contains a pointer to each of the functions. All you have to do then is either point it at the C function, or at the asm function :)

You do get a speed penalty by doing so, but once you know all your asm routines work, you can easily optimize later.

OK - thanks that makes sense. Can see how its done now.

The problem using simple ISO files for Pce CD is that it may have some sync problems with some games.
Wtih .toc files you can easily fix those sync problem.

virusx posted on May 17 2006 at 10:56 AM said:
The problem using simple ISO files for Pce CD is that it may have some sync problems with some games.
Wtih .toc files you can easily fix those sync problem.

Really? I even had sync problems when I used a .toc file (with emulators anyways, not a real Turbo Duo/PC-Engine). Also making a straight ISO without mp3 tracks would cause sync problems? I know bin/cue format would be more accurate that's for sure. Well I'll just have to wait and see how Vobbo is going go about implementing cd emulation.

I have a 'wrapper' function to call C versions of the hu6280 opcodes from the ARM Core... Basically, I`m not getting a huge speed hit from doing it this way, but at the end I`ll get a massive speed boost when I modify all my ARM functions to use registers instead of memory fetches.... I've still had a noticable speed increase though, just due to the ARM code being so much smaller than the C code... :)

As for PCE-CD games, I do indeed just support iso files, the same way I did for HU6280 on the PC... back in 1998 ;)

anyway, back to more ARM coding... I`ve got about another 90-100 opcodes to code in ARM!

later!

Now THAT'S a stealth release!! :p

This emu is sooooooo smooth!! I can't wait for sound ... well, I can and will wait, but yeah ... I'm very impressed :)

Back